Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
enfant terrible
macrumors newbie

iMovie Transitions

I have noticed that periodically when adding a transition between clips, playback is choppy/ stalled. I have tried deleting and re-adding the clips, deleting and re-adding the transitions, re-importing the thumbnails, moving the footage into a new event, and of course, restarting iMovie. Nothing I try seems to help. I have experimented with several types of transitions; it is crossfade that seems to cause the most noticeable glitch: the end of the first clip will freeze at the very end and then speed up the beginning of that which follows. When I use fade-to-black, the freezing is not quite as apparent but the black screen stays up far longer than it should if functioning normally. I attempted to tweak the transition duration as well but that actually made things worse. To reiterate, it does not happen with all clips but it is rendering otherwise complete projects unfit for viewing.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I am currently using iMovie '11 on an iMac running 10.8.2. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
enfant terrible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

What type of iMac? And does it only do this in the viewer in iMovie but not in the finished exported product?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
enfant terrible
macrumors newbie

The latest one, with 2.9 GHz processor and 8 GB RAM. And yes, it also does this in the final product.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

How long is your project?. Have you imported all your clips in the same format?
How does your project play without any transitions?.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:54 PM   #5
enfant terrible
macrumors newbie

The projects are no longer than five minutes each. They played fine before the transitions were added but I find that once the problem has arisen (and again, it's only affecting some of them), it won't go away regardless of how the clips are edited/ removed/ re-added. All of the source material is in the same format, namely .m4v. Currently I have one transition that simply will not behave; there are six others that are functioning normally.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

I think your m4v files are the culprit here. Is not, i think iMovie recognised, in its present state.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Ifti
macrumors 65816

I don't think it's the source files. Most of my source files are MOV format. I used to experience similar issues. If I applied a transition to a PIP clip the transaction would mess up and not even show the PIP clip at all. Although the final exported movie was always fine, it just happened in iMovie.

I also tried restarting imovie etc, but I could never solve the issue either. This, along with the terrible export quality, made me finally ditch imovie and turn to FCPX, and to be honest its the best move I ever made!
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:52 AM   #8
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Have you got any handles or space at the beginning of your clips and are they iMovie transition?

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video