Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Seems to be happening more and more. I am at home using wifi and I switch to an app and its timing out. I go to airplane mode and switch right back to wifi and it works.

Is this common? Does this happen to everyone else. I never used to do it. Now a couple times a day.

iHelios

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
This will happen to me sometimes when I'm in a 4G area but the phone only picks up EDGE. Jumping in and out of airplane mode gets me back on 4G.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
That's not common. Try rebooting your router first. If that doesn't solve it, Reset network settings on phone. if that doesn't work, restore your iphone through itunes. If that fails, return the phone for a replacement.

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
My wife's iPhone 4 does it also. I'm thinking its my wifi. How can I tell? I have a pretty good signal strength. My speeds are atrocious though.

I just did a restore today on my phone and still had to go to airplane mode once.

emuyshondt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
You are essentially turning the WiFi radio off and back on, causing your phone to log back into the network. Perhaps your router has a problem and is dropping the connection. Even if your phone has good signal strength, it may not actually be fully logged into the network.

- Do you have other WiFi devices at home that have this problem?
- Does your phone have a problem when connected to WiFi outside your home?

It may not be your phone that has the problem.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
With laptops, if you have too many "preferred" networks, the thing gets confused. Fix: Delete hotspots you haven't used for a while, and only leave the 1-2 u use everyday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.