Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A1vision

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hey everyone i am new here and i recently went from a windows to a mac mini 2012 i7 2.3ghz upgraded to 16gb ram with a 1tb HD. I was wondering on buying the lacie rugged as a ssd for the mac mini, and i wanted to know if there will be any improvement on performance and if my mac mini will go even faster. Also i was lookinh at the ocz vertex ssd for it but dont know if i can add it without removing my 1tb.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I have used lacie little big disk with 2 ssds as an external booter. much faster. I have used seagate thunderbolt adapter with an ssd much faster. I have used promise pegasus r6 with an ssd in it also much faster. there are a lot of threads about external ssds in thunderbolt and in usb3 cases. they are fast they are easy to setup. they do not void the warranty

. any removal of an hdd or adding an ssd into a mac mini is a technical voiding of the warranty. in real world terms if you want apple to fix something you need to put the mini back to stock. if you do this apple would have difficulty proving you tampered with the machine. the 2012 mini has a few user replaceable parts.

1) power cord
2) black plate cover
3) the ram

I done full teardowns on every mini from 2006 to 2012. adding a hdd or ssd to the 2012 mini is not that hard.

you need a second cable 30 bucks.
it helps to have two small bolts to hold the second drive in place.
you need tools.

you need good eyes
good hands and good light.

swapping out the hdd for an ssd is a bit easier. you don't need the second cable or two side bolts. you don't have to pull the mini completely apart. ifixit has photos on how to do it.

for my personal minis I no longer bother with drive changes I use the external lacie little big disk or the promise pegasus.

A1vision

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply and my concern is just swapping everything inside as i don't want to damage or void my warrant. So if i just get me a lacie Rugged will it do my mac mini justice or its nor a big performance?Also will there be any noticeable improvement in running programs?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Thanks for the reply and my concern is just swapping everything inside as i don't want to damage or void my warrant. So if i just get me a lacie Rugged will it do my mac mini justice or its nor a big performance?Also will there be any noticeable improvement in running programs?

it is a lot faster then the internal hdd. for some programs it will speed you up a lot. for other programs it is less important. I prefer them over hdds.

A1vision

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Nice thanks for the response philip so thats what i am going to do then i am going to get me a Lacie 120Gb SSD. Do i need to purchase the os since my mac mini came with it installed i am not to sure where to get a os copy so i can do a fresh boot from the lacie ssd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.