Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:13 PM   #26
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Then again, Jobs said they would NEVER produce a 7" tablet... and now that they are under new management, who knows?

But personally, I don't care for bigger screen, it ceases to be a phone.
Yea jobs was right because their ipad mini is bigger than the 7"!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:24 PM   #27
SupadudeX
macrumors member

Personally, I want a bigger screen. The iPhone is great, but if they don't bring out a larger screen soon I'll be planning a switch.
SupadudeX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:29 PM   #28
F123D
macrumors 68040

I'm not waiting for the next iPhone. Already bought a phone with a larger screen and loving it.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:56 PM   #29
marcperrot
macrumors member

I really hope they don't put a bigger screen on the next iPhone. I still occasionally feel like the screen on the 5 is too big. However, I can see them going bigger simply to follow the trend and not get **** on by tech reporters who buy into the Android spin on big screens.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:58 PM   #30
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcperrot View Post
I really hope they don't put a bigger screen on the next iPhone. I still occasionally feel like the screen on the 5 is too big. However, I can see them going bigger simply to follow the trend and not get **** on by tech reporters who buy into the Android spin on big screens.
I want a 4.3 inch screen with 1080p and a curved display... that ladies and gentleman is the iphone6
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:04 AM   #31
Insulin Junkie
macrumors 65816

I actually downgraded screen sizes from a larger Android phone, and there's no way I'd go for a bigger size iPhone, for me, thin and light are the criteria I'm after, the screen is fine.
No matter what happens, I'm contractually obligated to stick with the 5 for another 2 years now, so the answer would be "no", anyway.
Insulin Junkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:15 AM   #32
mantan
macrumors 6502a

or how about this for a novel idea....give people a choice.

Just like people can choose between the Mini and the full size iPad, I think people would like to choose between the current sized iPhone and something a bit bigger.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:02 AM   #33
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
I know some people prefer the current size, 3.5 or 4. But both of these are too small especially after playing the samsung or HTC phones.

Those big phones just look nice. I am so tempted to buy those phones and just give up my iPhone.

Apple should be more considerate and make a few options. Let the customer pick.

I have friends who feels the same too.
Go buy a bigger phone and be happy. There's plenty of people who are happy with their 4" screen on their iPhone 5.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:03 AM   #34
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

I won't.
zbarvian is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:05 AM   #35
Brettka7
macrumors regular

I won't upgrade if it gets any bigger than 4".

Aggression, in its most elegant form.
Brettka7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:15 AM   #36
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettka7 View Post
I won't upgrade if it gets any bigger than 4".
People said that with the 3.5''.
irDigital0l is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:30 AM   #37
bembol
macrumors 6502a

Like RIM users you will learn to adapt, ironically you don't have a choice. LOL

A lot of my family & friends who were BlackBerry users finally had it. As much as they love BBM & the Keyboard if was time for a change.

The iPad mini a great example, the numbers are impressive and I really believe they could've doubled or even tripled it if they had released it with Retina.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:32 AM   #38
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

I wouldn't mind a larger screened iPhone but I will be picking up the next offering no matter the size. I am invested in the iPhone universe and will continue to be so for a while.
AFDoc is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:43 AM   #39
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
As someone with a Note 2, I'd rather Apple built two phones - the 4" and a larger model for those that want the larger one. If you want more storage, that should be handled with BTO options, not more shelf space.

The moral of the story is that not everyone has the same priorities when they get a phone. I love my Note 2's huge screen because it makes for a great device to read/play games/watch videos on. However, it is a bit large - and I have small hands! Using it one handed is nearly impossible except for tasks where I have sorta set things up for it.

The thing is, I don't particularly care about 1 handed phone use anyway. Maybe someone else does, and I can totally respect that just fine. That's why there should be at least 2 size options! Even Apple does this with laptops!

Finally, I just wanted to add my favorite thing about the size: Using swiftkey 3 makes it incredibly easy to type on the note 2 while in portrait/vertical mode. My fingers are nowhere near fat, but it's just sooo comfortable/easy to use that way. Using the keyboard in landscape is a really terrible idea, though. XD
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:04 AM   #40
MF878
macrumors regular

I think if we do see a noticeably bigger iPhone at some point, it won't be at the expense of the 4" size. I think you'd see two sizes offered in almost identical specs, 4" and one in between 4.5" and 5". Anything under 4.5" would probably retain the one size only strategy.
Apple TV (3rd gen)
MF878 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:29 AM   #41
erayser
macrumors 6502a

The reason why I would want a bigger screen is because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. However, I wouldn't switch to a different phone because of screen size... although I would consider switching for other personal reasons. I like the actual size of the iPhone 4/4s (not talking about screen only)... but I don't mind the size difference of the iPhone 5. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the home button and used the side bezel to increase the screen size... but retain the current size of the iPhone 5 itself.
erayser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:07 AM   #42
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
People said that with the 3.5''.
I think a lot of people wanted a 4-4.3" screen in a small bezel but no one was really calling for a 4.7 or 5.5...except the hardcore geeks.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:08 AM   #43
didgeridoo
macrumors newbie

Maybe a bump to 720x1280 ~4.25". No bigger until the size of the human hand changes. Two sizes might be a pain for developers.
didgeridoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:11 AM   #44
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Next iPhone -> 5S (following past trends)

5S -> internal upgrades, hardware remain the same (following past trends), which means screen size will be the same. Apple took 5 years to increase the screen size ONCE, they certainly wouldn't do it again next year. Plus they need to take into account all the hassle to developers who need to update their apps for a bigger screen again. Ain't gonna happen man.
Having a larger screen doesn't require changing the resolution. And don't talk about ppi. The retina iPad has lower ppi.
Jimmy James is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:57 AM   #45
MuddyPaws1
Banned

I jumped ship to the S3 when the iP5 went to the weird tall skinny form factor. I don't see the 5S or whatever getting a larger screen so i'll skip that also. If the 6 has the screen I want then i'll be back. If not, I'll probably skip that also.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:00 AM   #46
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

NO!

Not everyone wants a bulkier phone.. The current 4 inch size is ideal.
Four oF NINE is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:56 PM   #47
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Remember all the people complaining about how 3.5'' was perfect and that 4'' would be too big?
I think people was thinking about the physical size increase. With the iPhone 5, the width stay the same, the length increases a bit, but thickness and weight are both reduced. In my daily use the iPhone 5 feels smaller and lighter overall with the benefit of a 4 inch screen. If there is a magical way to increase the screen size without increasing the physical size, most people would not complaint, and that's the case with the iPhone 5 (well, not quite magical, but same end result).

I am happy with the current size. Portability is very important to me. The difference between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 is very noticeable to me. I find the iP5 a lot more pocketable due to its lighter weight and thinner profile. The added length doesn't make a difference to me. A wider phone would not fit as well in my pocket and hand. Sure, a slight increase in size would be less noticeable. But to me a small size increase defeats the purpose: to make a difference, the increase has to be quite significant, say to 4.8".
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:02 PM   #48
kyussmondo
macrumors member

The screen is a perfect size for me. I can't see the need for it to be any bigger. If I want to watch movies or browse the web for long periods then I will use my iPad or MacBook Pro. Not only that, I have found myself using voice a lot more to dictate shopping lists, setting reminders, calendar appointments etc. It is surprisingly quick and I have found Siri to be very accurate and I am far from having a radio voice.

Plus I find a lot of people complain about the auto-correction feature, but I have found if you just type and learn to trust it then more often than not it will work as expected. People who try to type perfectly and go back all the time to correct mistakes without trusting auto-correct are the people who want 5 inch screens.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:10 PM   #49
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I'm thrilled to find my iPad mini a perfect replacement for the iPhone 5 I just sold. iPhones will never have a decent sized display for smartphone usage. Instead I bought a contract free Tracfone designed for calling & texting. Small & sleek, I'm now saving loads of money.

A friends been using this combo & inspired me to do the same. It's a very freeing feeling. With hotspots everywhere its easy to stay connected and highlights the strengths & beauty of Apples iPad mini.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:19 PM   #50
doasis23
macrumors regular

I have to admit when i see a SGIII I have some screen envy. Im planning on keeping my 5 for two yrs so I wont be upgrading next yr but I would seriously consider switching when my contract is up if the phone isnt bigger. However I think the biggest determining factor for me will be ios8. I've had the 3g,4,&5 and have loved them all but android is making bigger leaps IMO in regards to the software. Its anyones guess where both platforms will be in 2 yrs but I think we all will benefit form the advancements.
doasis23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone