Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:55 PM   #126
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
When the next iPhone comes out the last version goes down the 8gb.
The 4S is an exception.
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:56 PM   #127
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
Perhaps not to you, but they are to me. Are you familiar with the Dell Streak? It was a 5" tablet that also made phone calls. How do I know it was a tablet and not a cell phone? Because Dell called it a tablet:

http://content.dell.com/us/en/corp/d...ll-streak.aspx

A 4.8" or larger screen makes a device a tablet, in my opinion. Making it thinner and lighter doesn't make it less of a tablet. At minimum it's a phablet, but it sure ain't a cell phone. I have full-sized tablets.....don't need or want a phablet.
Sorry to inform you, but by your definition, the cell phone is dying rapidly. You better get used to "tablets" or you better take real good care of your iPhone 5.
Spungoflex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:45 PM   #128
dcpmark
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungoflex View Post
Sorry to inform you, but by your definition, the cell phone is dying rapidly. You better get used to "tablets" or you better take real good care of your iPhone 5.
As I posted a link that proves otherwise, it's not my definition. It's the definition of the company that manufactured the 5" tablet. But I agree with everything else you said, and it's a shame, IMHO. The same people that are crying about the lack of choices Apple gives consumers should be complaining about the lack of top-end Android phones in a 4" screen size. If they made an SGIII in a 4" phone, as a long-time Android user I never would have even thought about getting an iPhone 5. The SGIII Mini doesn't have top-shelf specs, but I don't use my cell phone for watching movies, TV, streaming, games, or any of that other processor-intensive crap so I might give it a try if it ever comes to Verizon.

I'm sticking with a 4" - 4.3" cell phone until they don't make 'em anymore, and then I'll get the smallest high-end one they sell.
dcpmark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:15 AM   #129
Alx9876
macrumors 6502

All of the Apple loyalist for some reason beyond reasoning all claim to dislike bigger displays.

Whenever Apple gives us the 4.8 inch screen then all these sheep here will claim they never talked bad against a bigger size. They will instead praise how amazing and revolutionary the new iPhone XX model is and you won't here people saying crap like

"I just bought a 5 inch iPhone and I really hate the fact that it's so big".

Google Maps as well as many more apps and features all benefit in a major way from a bigger display. The 5 is a dinky small device.

People love bigger displays regardless if it's your cell phone or HDTV. Bigger is better.

I am a long long time Apple loyal fan and user of all Apple products. I for one did not buy an iPhone 5 for the reason it was just a 4s with 4G and half an inch more screen size. (That is not worthy of an upgrade plus new 2 year contract).

Completely worthless. It's all 2011 tech and did not live up to the hype.

Because of this I jumped ship off the iPhone platform. I do not post here on Macrumors to gloat or even say what is better or not.

The fact of the matter is the iPhone OS is OLD and the screen size is still too small. 4 inches was so 2010.

Whenever Apple decides to snap out of their funk and give us a bigger display which they will, Then I will come back to the cell phone side of Apple.

Right now Apple is in a state of transitioning since Steve Jobs death. The firing of Scott Forstal and moving Jony Ive to the "Steve Jobs" role at Apple shows huge huge promise for the future.

I expect allot from iOS7 and the next iPhone after the 5s. iPhone 6 and beyond.
Alx9876 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:43 AM   #130
dcpmark
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx9876 View Post
All of the Apple loyalist for some reason beyond reasoning all claim to dislike bigger displays.

Whenever Apple gives us the 4.8 inch screen then all these sheep here will claim they never talked bad against a bigger size. They will instead praise how amazing and revolutionary the new iPhone XX model is and you won't here people saying crap like

The fact of the matter is the iPhone OS is OLD and the screen size is still too small. 4 inches was so 2010.
Message board hyperbole at its finest.

Let me repeat this for you, and I'll t-y-p-e i-t v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y: my 4.3" HTC Thunderbolt running Android WAS TOO BIG FOR ME. Has nothing to do with Apple. I went from a Palm Treo to a Pre to several Android phones. My first iPhone was the iPhone 5, and it's the perfect size FOR ME. If Apple only made a 4.8" iPhone, I would find another high-end phone that's smaller.

And if you think a 4" screen is "so 2010", that's the same year a 5" screen was a tablet that can make phone calls:

But I'm sure Google Maps will look great on your 6" phablet when it arrives later this year. Or just save yourself some trouble, cut out the middleman, and get a Nexus 7.
dcpmark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:47 AM   #131
Alx9876
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Let me repeat this for you, and I'll t-y-p-e i-t v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y: my 4.3" HTC Thunderbolt running Android WAS TOO BIG FOR ME. Has nothing to do with Apple. I went from a Palm Treo to a Pre to several Android phones. My first iPhone was the iPhone 5, and it's the perfect size FOR ME. If Apple only made a 4.8" iPhone, I would find another high-end phone that's smaller.

And if you think a 4" screen is "so 2010", that's the same year a 5" screen was a tablet that can make phone calls:

But I'm sure Google Maps will look great on your 6" phablet when it arrives later this year. Or just save yourself some trouble, cut out the middleman, and get a Nexus 7.
You must have small soft girly hands. I like my iPad (iOS5) and Soon for iPad mini just fine for Google Maps. My 4.8 inch screen on my cell is perfect size.

Apple supporting one handed use = Supporting texting while driving.

Great move. Let's not discourage texting while driving. Instead we will support it with our one handed iPhones.
Alx9876 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 02:17 AM   #132
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

I think everyone is expecting the next generation iPhone to have a bigger screen. If it doesn't. I may jump ship myself

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:04 AM   #133
00oo00
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Concur - I too prefer the current size of the iPhone. Having tried larger Android phones, I came back to the iPhone and one of the reasons was that I prefer the smaller size.
00oo00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:08 AM   #134
VulchR
macrumors 68000

My eyesight is not what it used to be; I use my iPhone more as an information centre than a phone; and the Galaxy Note fits in my palm and I can still use it one-handed (I am very tall with long fingers). Thus, if Apple doesn't bump up the screen size, particularly in width, then I might not upgrade to the 5S (or whatever it is called). If the screen size hasn't changed within the next two years, then I'll probably switch.

In this regard, I previously used devices by Palm and other members of my family used Blackberry's. We all have iPhones now because Palm and RIM didn't keep up with the times. You'd think Apple would learn from these other companies' mistakes (and indeed from their own experience about the limitations of small displays in the early Mac's).

Retina displays are all very well and fine, but size matters....

Last edited by VulchR; Jan 7, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
VulchR is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:27 AM   #135
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

The iPhone 5 is too big as it is, never mind anything bigger. The screen is really uncomfortable to use.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:44 AM   #136
SONiC5
macrumors regular

The iPhone 5 is big enough for me, I don't need an HDTV-sized phone. I'm more concerned with where iOS is going and if the next iPhone will have the same scratching and bending issues.
SONiC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:06 AM   #137
Bernard SG
macrumors 65816

The iphone 5 size suits me well, I loved the 4 too. Screen size is not that important to me. If Apple increased the size, why not, but I like the phone to feel "natural" in my pockets.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:01 PM   #138
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

I think any hope of getting a larger iPhone was squashed with the introduction of the iPad Mini. I think Apple is very content with the corner they've painted themselves into.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:07 PM   #139
chakraj
macrumors 65816

I will say it again. I LOVE my galaxy note 2, now when I see an iPhone it looks like a childs toy. I will never go back to a tiny phone again.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:09 PM   #140
Techmaestro
macrumors newbie

This is why I changed to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I had the 3, 4, and 5 but after playing with a co-workers HTC DNA I decided to take a closer look at the larger Android phones, and let me tell you, I could not be happier. I like many of you was scared to make the change but to be honest it wasn't that bad. I'll just finish by saying this, if you have not played with the Note 2 do yourself a favor and try it out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Techmaestro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:23 PM   #141
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmaestro View Post
This is why I changed to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I had the 3, 4, and 5 but after playing with a co-workers HTC DNA I decided to take a closer look at the larger Android phones, and let me tell you, I could not be happier. I like many of you was scared to make the change but to be honest it wasn't that bad. I'll just finish by saying this, if you have not played with the Note 2 do yourself a favor and try it out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
A co-worker of mine has the Note 2, and I got to try it out for an extended period of time. I tried to use it the same way I use my iPhone 5, and I could not. It was simply too big.

Then I tried to use it in the same way I use my tablet, it was simply too small.

I can see how someone could try and get the Note 2 instead of a phone+tablet, but it's really a middle-ground device. It doesn't do "phone" as well as a phone, and it doesn't do "tablet" as well as a tablet.
DodgeV83 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:00 PM   #142
Alx9876
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmaestro View Post
Very true statement here. A few of my friends just purchased the Note 2 and all of them are very happy customers.

I don't think at all that the Note 2 is too big for a Phone. It's just right in allot of ways.

It does everything the iPhone does and no features were neglected or half-assed going to the 5.5 inch display.

Don't be fooled by the people who post in these forums who never touched or held a Note 2.

I see allot of discrepancies in a few posts around these parts.

Since Steve Jobs death, Apple has missed the mark on allot of features, trends since they are re-organizing internally.

The transition is almost over. iOS7 could be the most amazing thing to come. Can't wait to see what Jony is going to give us.
Alx9876 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:20 PM   #143
patrickgerr
macrumors member

I'm sure Apple debated size over and over before releasing the i5. Also, Apple's marketing research may have shown that people enjoy watching movies on tablets instead of phones.
patrickgerr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:30 PM   #144
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

I will get the 5s and 6 on launch days. One, I need 32gb instead of 16 on iPhone 5, and that's why I'll upgrade to the next gen, and then after that, I will get the redesigned 6 because whenever there's a redesign, I upgrade...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:00 PM   #145
Hook1903
macrumors member

It's just a phone,4" is a perfect size for me.It fits in my pocket perfectly
Hook1903 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:21 AM   #146
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

I think the iphone 5 screen is big enough. If you have big hands and need a bigger screen, then I think S3 or a Galaxy Note 2 would be your better choice of phone.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:33 AM   #147
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 6502a

The Apple Ecosystem

I jumped from the Ip4 to the Galaxy S3. Loved it, but there were annoyances. It was problematical hooking up to the bluetooth in my car. But the screen was great. It's a good phone. I can't imagine how much better the S4 will be, but it will be better. I got the Iphone 5 and am happy to be back. I don't miss the S3 and I am not going to be tempted by the S4. But I won't upgrade to a 5s if they just do a spec bump. They have to do something meaningful and that isn't on the horizon. Which is probably why the stock is tanking.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:52 AM   #148
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

My thumb hurts trying to use the 4 inch screen. Its way too small. I've finally upgraded to a 4.7 inch phone and couldn't be happier. With my big hands one handed use is still fine. Apple needs to make at least a 4.5 inch phone. They can keep a 4 inch device for those who dont want anything bigger. Samsung does it with the galaxy s3 and the s3 mini. Apple is even doing it with the iPad and iPad mini. If only iOS could scale apps for different resolutions. Android does it, desktop OS's do it, iOS needs to.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:02 AM   #149
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
8GB is way too small to store enough quality apps on your phone

Funny thing is, fandroids seem to have no problem buying their little 8GB nexus 4 lol
I guess all they are doing on their phone is putting up cute little widgets so it doesn't matter.
The people buying 8gb nexus 4's obviously aren't the ones complaining about the 8gb iPhone smart one.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:17 AM   #150
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 6502a

I see from your avatar, you live in Cupertino( maybe). Do the local police hassle you if you have an android phone? I switched to an S3 and came back to the Ip5. You'll be back soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx9876 View Post

Google Maps as well as many more apps and features all benefit in a major way from a bigger display. The 5 is a dinky small device.

People love bigger displays regardless if it's your cell phone or HDTV. Bigger is better.

I am a long long time Apple loyal fan and user of all Apple products. I for one did not buy an iPhone 5 for the reason it was just a 4s with 4G and half an inch more screen size. (That is not worthy of an upgrade plus new 2 year contract).

Completely worthless. It's all 2011 tech and did not live up to the hype.

Because of this I jumped ship off the iPhone platform. I do not post here on Macrumors to gloat or even say what is better or not.

Whenever Apple decides to snap out of their funk and give us a bigger display which they will, Then I will come back to the cell phone side of Apple.

Right now Apple is in a state of transitioning since Steve Jobs death. The firing of Scott Forstal and moving Jony Ive to the "Steve Jobs" role at Apple shows huge huge promise for the future.

I expect allot from iOS7 and the next iPhone after the 5s. iPhone 6 and beyond.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone