Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hi, the behavior of my mbp is slowly getting stranger and stranger. As of right now, I can't use roughly half of my keyboard. I shut it down for the night to see what happens tomorrow. I am thinking that it's slowly dieing.

That is the same side that was acting up earlier. (I couldn't insert a disc into my optical drive.)

Any advice?

Thanks!

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
We need more information;

What year and model is it?

Any aftermarket changes or accessories?

Which 'half', does that mean some keys work and some don't, and it's random, or the left or right half doesn't work? Throw us a bone hear, detail it.

So, your optical drive works now? Any other issues past or present?

Any history of water damage, shock (dropped), etc.?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
We need more information;

What year and model is it?

Any aftermarket changes or accessories?

Which 'half', does that mean some keys work and some don't, and it's random, or the left or right half doesn't work? Throw us a bone hear, detail it.

So, your optical drive works now? Any other issues past or present?

Any history of water damage, shock (dropped), etc.?

I can't do anything.... I can turn things on, but that's as far as I can go, I had to manually shut off my MBP because it wouldn't shut down normally. Sorry I can't give this information to you.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
I can't do anything.... I can turn things on, but that's as far as I can go, I had to manually shut off my MBP because it wouldn't shut down normally. Sorry I can't give this information to you.

Well if you can't give us information, then you're not going to get any help. We have no idea what condition your computer is in, how old it is, what you've done to it throughout its lifespan, and as such, we can't possibly even begin to diagnose your problem. If you want to give use more information, we'd be happy to help, but otherwise, we can't.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Well if you can't give us information, then you're not going to get any help. We have no idea what condition your computer is in, how old it is, what you've done to it throughout its lifespan, and as such, we can't possibly even begin to diagnose your problem. If you want to give use more information, we'd be happy to help, but otherwise, we can't.
I would gladly give you information, but I can't, at the moment, even type in my password, so how on earth can I give you the information needed. Sorry.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I would gladly give you information, but I can't, at the moment, even type in my password, so how on earth can I give you the information needed. Sorry.

Re-read through the list of questions I gave you and answer those. None of those need the computer to be booted up in order to give us those answers. You don't need to boot up the computer to tell us when this started, what has happened in the past, etc.

We're not being rude, but, we don't have enough information to go on. There is an infinite number of possibilities that could be causing the symptoms you've described, based on the information we have. If we know a little more, we can narrow it down to likely and reasonable scenarios.

If that's too much, take it to a repair facility, but be advised they can work better, faster, and cheaper if you can tell them the same things we're asking.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Re-read through the list of questions I gave you and answer those. None of those need the computer to be booted up in order to give us those answers. You don't need to boot up the computer to tell us when this started, what has happened in the past, etc.

We're not being rude, but, we don't have enough information to go on. There is an infinite number of possibilities that could be causing the symptoms you've described, based on the information we have. If we know a little more, we can narrow it down to likely and reasonable scenarios.

If that's too much, take it to a repair facility, but be advised they can work better, faster, and cheaper if you can tell them the same things we're asking.

I hope that I wasn't rude. I was just adgitated because I thought I "dogded a bullet". I am sorry if I seemed rude. As of this morning I can't use my entire keyboard... it got worse overnight and I had to hard shut-down. (or hit the power button manually.) All I can tell you it's a MBP from 2009 (just about 5 years, actually, from remembring the Coconut battery statistics. I think it's 48 months.) Mac O.S. version 10.5.7. Disc version 1.0.

The more I think about it, I think my logic board is toast.... :( If you can tell me anymore from what I supplied. Thank you.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
And if you have an external keyboard use that, does this work?

Also the above poster said reset SMC, you can read more about it HERE

You could also try to run Apple Hardware Test, read more about this HERE

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Maybe if he posts some pics of it then we can determine what kind version it is by looking at it. He has to be able to provide something what version of OS X or if he ever had it repaired etc etc ...

NVM read his above post lol yeah sounds like an logic board issue.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Maybe if he posts some pics of it then we can determine what kind version it is by looking at it. He has to be able to provide something what version of OS X or if he ever had it repaired etc etc ...

NVM read his above post lol yeah sounds like an logic board issue.

LOL.... I am a woman. :)

Mac OS version 10.5.7
Disc version 1.0
2Z691-6457-A
year 2009.

I also think it's the logic board... would that explain the post about not being able to insert optical discs at one point, not too long ago.

It's funny that you mention something about an external keyboard. I don't want to do that because I go outside with my MBP in the nicer weather, it would be too much of a hassle to go outside and look organized. Thank you though.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Mac OS version 10.5.7
Disc version 1.0
2Z691-6457-A
year 2009.

BTW. I also think it's the logic board... would that explain the post about not being able to insert optical discs at one point, not too long ago.

I was reading that post and I thought I read a former thread in which you said your female.:)

Did you try my suggestions?
Keyboard, PRAM and SMC reset?

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Mac OS version 10.5.7
Disc version 1.0
2Z691-6457-A
year 2009.

I also think it's the logic board... would that explain the post about not being able to insert optical discs at one point, not too long ago.

It's funny that you mention something about an external keyboard. I don't want to do that because I go outside with my MBP in the nicer weather, it would be too much of a hassle to go outside and look organized. Thank you though.

My apologies madam!

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I was reading that post and I thought I read a former thread in which you said your female.:)

Did you try my suggestions?
Keyboard, PRAM and SMC reset?

As of right now, I can't reset anything because I can't even type in my password. (My keyboard is completely dead... I can't type anything. I also don't want to keep trying to turn it on if I can't turn it off correctly.)

Though, I've got a plan... The next time I get to go anywhere near my usual place to purchase electronics (Best Buy) I will purchase a new MBP. Which brings me to a new question. I was going to avoid the MBP and go for a MB... The only thing that I saw was the MBA(ir), where is the 'whitey'?

My dad is convinced that I should attach wireless keyboard to it, but I don't want to deal with the extra weight and since I am always outside when it's nice out. I don't like the idea of doing that anyway.

BTW. Can you pop-off the speck case and put it on a new (same size) MBP? Even if you said 'no' I don't know if I would do it anyway. since the top on top of the slot drive somehow got broken. (It has been broken far longer than my problems have been taking place. I don't know how it broke.)

Thank you. :)

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Whitey is dead.

The $999 laptop is now the 11.6" MacBook Air. MBA, MBP and rMBP are the only laptop models currently.

You can still find refurbed latest generation whiteys for around $500-$600, though they are quite a bit behind current MBP models in terms of performance, especially graphics. Even the 13" MBP model, with no discrete graphics, will significantly outpace a 13" White MacBook with it's integrated graphics alone.

I think you'll be very happy with a new MacBook Pro. It sounds like you aren't willing to really tear this thing apart and mess with it, which is fine. Chances are, you'll find out it's not repairable anyway. If you are willing to replace it and upgrade, that's probably best.

If the extent of your computer usage is facebook, media consumption, etc. Then go to newegg.com and order one of the Core2Duo 2GB RAM MacBook models they have, and pick up a little extra RAM as well to help it better handle modern applications. Heck, you could even throw an SSD in there as well and end up being cheaper than a MacBook Pro, with pretty decent performance.

If you do things that are a bit more complicated than that, including any gaming, photoshop, audio production, etc., then you will really benefit from the Core i5/i7 architecture of the new MacBook Pro models.

All that aside, if I were you, I would at least attach an external keyboard just once, and perform the SMC reset using that. If it turns out that this fixes all of the issues, you can still upgrade your MacBook, but then you'll have a nice backup or second system! I like to use old systems as home servers or as media devices plugged into a TV (to stream Hulu, Netflix, etc.)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
All that aside, if I were you, I would at least attach an external keyboard just once, and perform the SMC reset using that. If it turns out that this fixes all of the issues, you can still upgrade your MacBook, but then you'll have a nice backup or second system! I like to use old systems as home servers or as media devices plugged into a TV (to stream Hulu, Netflix, etc.)

That's what I already tried to say.

As of right now, I can't reset anything because I can't even type in my password. (My keyboard is completely dead... I can't type anything. I also don't want to keep trying to turn it on if I can't turn it off correctly.)

Though, I've got a plan... The next time I get to go anywhere near my usual place to purchase electronics (Best Buy) I will purchase a new MBP. Which brings me to a new question. I was going to avoid the MBP and go for a MB... The only thing that I saw was the MBA(ir), where is the 'whitey'?

My dad is convinced that I should attach wireless keyboard to it, but I don't want to deal with the extra weight and since I am always outside when it's nice out. I don't like the idea of doing that anyway.

BTW. Can you pop-off the speck case and put it on a new (same size) MBP? Even if you said 'no' I don't know if I would do it anyway. since the top on top of the slot drive somehow got broken. (It has been broken far longer than my problems have been taking place. I don't know how it broke.)

Thank you. :)

Do as I say please, connect a wired keyboard before you start up, then first see if it works, if it does, restart and do a SMC Reset and a PRAM reset.

The reason I say this is, you might be lucky and the System Management Controller is somehow corrupt and might be fixed with this procedure.

Besides that, there is quite a possibility the keyboard and/or the keyboard cable is broken, this can be fixed and prevents you from buying a new computer, it might be as simple as resetting the SMC.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
That's what I already tried to say.

Do as I say please, connect a wired keyboard before you start up, then first see if it works, if it does, restart and do a SMC Reset and a PRAM reset.

The reason I say this is, you might be lucky and the System Management Controller is somehow corrupt and might be fixed with this procedure.

Besides that, there is quite a possibility the keyboard and/or the keyboard cable is broken, this can be fixed and prevents you from buying a new computer, it might be as simple as resetting the SMC.

I don't acces to a wireless keyboard anywhere. Not at home or a relatives.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I don't acces to a wireless keyboard anywhere. Not at home or a relatives.

It doesn't have to be wireless. Do you have a desktop at home? Chances are it uses a USB keyboard. It doesn't matter if it's an old beige Windows machine or a shiny new Mac Pro. If it's a USB keyboard, your MacBook will be able to use it. If all else fails, you can buy one at Wal-Mart for $15, which can be well worth it to determine if there is an easy fix.

You can still buy your new MacBook even if you fix this one, but if it's a simple fix, no reason not to right?

Or, ya know, if you really don't want it, just box it up and send it to me! I'll find a use for it! LOL

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Or, ya know, if you really don't want it, just box it up and send it to me! I'll find a use for it! LOL

Or me;)

------------

a-m-k
A wired keyboard is better, I said so in my last post, you know you can even go to a library, school, friends, colleagues or whatever, there has to be a keyboard somewhere, you might solve the problem by just looking around instead of saying you don't have one.
Even on the dump there are working ones.

You asked for help, we provide you ways to a probable fix, if you don't want that, we can't help you,better give it away to somebody then.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Or me;)

------------

a-m-k
A wired keyboard is better, I said so in my last post, you know you can even go to a library, school, friends, colleagues or whatever, there has to be a keyboard somewhere, you might solve the problem by just looking around instead of saying you don't have one.
Even on the dump there are working ones.

You asked for help, we provide you ways to a probable fix, if you don't want that, we can't help you,better give it away to somebody then.

It's also about organization. I just want everything to be in one place. It just seems wierd to me to have a screen with a non-funtioning keyboard and a wireless keyboard. (I'm laughing because back in the 80's, when I was a kid, my family used to have a functioning TV on a broken TV. (Long since been gone, BTW!) It'll just be far easier to have the MBP or MBA... besides that, I don't want to put my bag I have for it to waste. Thank you, though.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
It's also about organization. I just want everything to be in one place. It just seems wierd to me to have a screen with a non-funtioning keyboard and a wireless keyboard. (I'm laughing because back in the 80's, when I was a kid, my family used to have a functioning TV on a broken TV. (Long since been gone, BTW!) It'll just be far easier to have the MBP or MBA... besides that, I don't want to put my bag I have for it to waste. Thank you, though.

We are not telling you to go around toting a keyboard all the time a-m-k. Re-read the posts correctly. We do not care about your organisation anyway, we care about trying to fix your computer/save you money.

We are telling you to use one to diagnose your computer, for a short period of time. How long? Long enough to boot the computer and see if it works that way. Stop being stubborn and give all the suggestions a try, please.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
We are not telling you to go around toting a keyboard all the time a-m-k. Re-read the posts correctly. We do not care about your organisation anyway, we care about trying to fix your computer/save you money.

We are telling you to use one to diagnose your computer, for a short period of time. How long? Long enough to boot the computer and see if it works that way. Stop being stubborn and give all the suggestions a try, please.

I misunderstood, I am sorry... though I am comming back to say that roughly ONLY the right hand side of my keyboard works, and the strange thing, I didn't need to log into my MBP. I know I didn't set it up to do that recently. Though. Though, I will need the right side to type in my password.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

That's what I trying to say, seems a-m-k does not understand.

I misunderstood, I am sorry... though I am comming back to say that roughly ONLY the right hand side of my keyboard works, and the strange thing, I didn't need to log into my MBP. I know I didn't set it up to do that recently. Though. Though, I will need the right side to type in my password.

Get a wired keyboard somehow, you only need it for a short time, if the problem is solved you don't need it anymore, it is just to try to look what's going on, if you connect the keyboard and start up with it and it works you then can reset the SMC and PRAM, after this disconnect the keyboard, if it is solved you do not need it anymore.

Hope you understand now after reading the above poster and what I wrote/write.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
That's what I trying to say, seems a-m-k does not understand.

Get a wired keyboard somehow, you only need it for a short time, if the problem is solved you don't need it anymore, it is just to try to look what's going on, if you connect the keyboard and start up with it and it works you then can reset the SMC and PRAM, after this disconnect the keyboard, if it is solved you do not need it anymore.

Hope you understand now after reading the above poster and what I wrote/write.
LOL, I know.... I know. I just didn't repeat the obvious. I am waiting for someone to reply to a message I left for them. I don't think you all will care about the final outcome, so I won't post it. I just have to wait. It's not that easy for me to get out because I don't drive. Everybody else have their own lives to live, so even just going down the street might be too much for them because they are busy. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.