Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:11 AM   #1
martitprpl
macrumors newbie

Mail "rules" problem, please help!

Hi All,
My problem is this. I created a RULE in my Mail preferences that it would automatically send out an out-of-office-type, personalized note in reply to every email that came in. Unfortunately, very soon after that, my computer had to be reinstalled with a fresh copy of OS10.8 at the Apple Store. I did keep backups, but once I went thru the process of entering my .mac account info into the new copy of Mail, my rules were no longer there. The problem is that this out-of-office-type reply is still somehow working and responding to every single email I get... which in actuality means I am getting "RE:" messages now with hundreds of "RE:'s" because each message is replying to itself in perpetuity. I have checked both the Preferences on this mac and the ones at iCloud Mail online, but the rull is not there, yet it is continuing to work. How do I stop this madness. It's beyond annoying, it's embarassing to have to explain to people that I can't figure out a way to stop it! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
martitprpl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 01:37 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martitprpl View Post
Hi All,
My problem is this. I created a RULE in my Mail preferences that it would automatically send out an out-of-office-type, personalized note in reply to every email that came in. Unfortunately, very soon after that, my computer had to be reinstalled with a fresh copy of OS10.8 at the Apple Store. I did keep backups, but once I went thru the process of entering my .mac account info into the new copy of Mail, my rules were no longer there. The problem is that this out-of-office-type reply is still somehow working and responding to every single email I get... which in actuality means I am getting "RE:" messages now with hundreds of "RE:'s" because each message is replying to itself in perpetuity. I have checked both the Preferences on this mac and the ones at iCloud Mail online, but the rull is not there, yet it is continuing to work. How do I stop this madness. It's beyond annoying, it's embarassing to have to explain to people that I can't figure out a way to stop it! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Go to : /Users/****/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/RulesActiveState.plist

**** = your User Account name or home folder name

If you have Developer Tools installed double click it, if not open with TextEdit.

Remove all entries if there are entries, see screenshot, it is opened in TextEdit.

Or, just delete the .plist file, close Mail before doing this and see if this made a difference after opening Mail again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 13.36.23.png
Views:	17
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	405979  
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:32 AM   #3
martitprpl
macrumors newbie

Ooooo, Thank you... But...

unfortunately this fix is not working. Here's what I entered...
Users/myappleusernamehere/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/RulesActiveState.plist

Did I do something wrong? I just get a completely blank page when I used Safari. When I used Firefox I got a Google search page that thinks I spelled something wrong.

I also tried http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd which is the address showing on your picture attachment to me and I do get a lot of computer-speak, but if I hit delete, the entire page closes.

Finally, I have tried searching for the Mail, System Library, Mail Preferences, Mail plist. In the older mac systems, finding the system libraries and plists was easy... Now I can't find them at all.... AAAAgh!

Anymore ideas for me... hopefully?
I really do appreciate your help with this. It's a really annoying and embarrassing problem. (Geez, I'm making it sound like an STD!)

Thanks again,
-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Go to : /Users/****/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/RulesActiveState.plist

**** = your User Account name or home folder name

If you have Developer Tools installed double click it, if not open with TextEdit.

Remove all entries if there are entries, see screenshot, it is opened in TextEdit.

Or, just delete the .plist file, close Mail before doing this and see if this made a difference after opening Mail again.
martitprpl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:41 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martitprpl View Post
unfortunately this fix is not working. Here's what I entered...
Users/myappleusernamehere/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/RulesActiveState.plist

Did I do something wrong? I just get a completely blank page when I used Safari. When I used Firefox I got a Google search page that thinks I spelled something wrong.

I also tried http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd which is the address showing on your picture attachment to me and I do get a lot of computer-speak, but if I hit delete, the entire page closes.

Finally, I have tried searching for the Mail, System Library, Mail Preferences, Mail plist. In the older mac systems, finding the system libraries and plists was easy... Now I can't find them at all.... AAAAgh!

Anymore ideas for me... hopefully?
I really do appreciate your help with this. It's a really annoying and embarrassing problem. (Geez, I'm making it sound like an STD!)

Thanks again,
-MT
You entered that in Safari?

Wrong if you did it that way.

In the Menu Bar click Go>Go To Folder...
Then paste Users/myappleusernamehere/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/ into the Popup window that appears, it will go to that Folder
(BOLD- This needs to be your Home Folder name, what is your User Accounts name?)

Then, open the file with textedit, if this does not work zip the file here and I will have a look at it, I have Developers Tools installed which includes an App called Property Plist Editor, if you have that one it will open the file automatically.

Last edited by justperry; Apr 9, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store