Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

planebreaks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I was just reading a post on the thinness of iPhone and then came suddenly to my mind the hardware real estate of the machine.
If Apple decides to make the screen bigger for the following iPhone, not necessarily the 5s, that little extra space will be a huge benefit to the upgrade.
I'm pretty damn happy with the thinness, but it'd be nice if the phone was a bit lighter. They can get a bigger battery for sure, but that means it's gonna weigh more as well. hmm..

Anyways, I just wanted share my little burst of joy on discovering the possibilities for the next upgrade/bigger screen.

Peace!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I was just reading a post on the thinness of iPhone and then came suddenly to my mind the hardware real estate of the machine.
If Apple decides to make the screen bigger for the following iPhone, not necessarily the 5s, that little extra space will be a huge benefit to the upgrade.
I'm pretty damn happy with the thinness, but it'd be nice if the phone was a bit lighter. They can get a bigger battery for sure, but that means it's gonna weigh more as well. hmm..

Anyways, I just wanted share my little burst of joy on discovering the possibilities for the next upgrade/bigger screen.

Peace!

IF THE PHONE WAS A BIT LIGHTER??

You've got to be kidding right, it's already insanely light.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
When I first held the iPhone 5 I was really surprised at how light it was. Not sure how much lighter they could go on it.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
The over riding desire to have a paper thin phone is stupid and goes away from every thing we want in a phone. Thin = less battery, less room for ram ect ect. iphone is thin enough, time to grow up and expect a phone to look like a phone and not a sheet of paper.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
The over riding desire to have a paper thin phone is stupid and goes away from every thing we want in a phone. Thin = less battery, less room for ram ect ect. iphone is thin enough, time to grow up and expect a phone to look like a phone and not a sheet of paper.

Not everyone wants those things. The battery on my 5 last all day, I am able to run all of the apps I want so the ram and processor is good.

On the other hand I have no issue with the current weight, or even the weight of the 4

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not necessarily. There's quite a bit of wasted space above and below the iPhone 5 screen. Not much they can do about the home button if they want to keep it but they can most certainly shrink the wasted space at the top and make it a bit wider like the 3G/3GS. This translates into bigger screen while keeping the same overall size and doesn't allow more hardware space.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Not everyone wants those things. The battery on my 5 last all day, I am able to run all of the apps I want so the ram and processor is good.

On the other hand I have no issue with the current weight, or even the weight of the 4

LoL... not every one wants them until they need them and don't have them. I would say you are in the very very small minority when it comes to "not wanting" longer battery life and more "power" to run things.

Like I said people need to grow up and understand until we can make all parts needed to make a smartphone work super small there are simply adult limitations that are placed on tech.... No fantasy land idea of a phone is possible at this time.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
LoL... not every one wants them until they need them and don't have them. I would say you are in the very very small minority when it comes to "not wanting" longer battery life and more "power" to run things.

Like I said people need to grow up and understand until we can make all parts needed to make a smartphone work super small there are simply adult limitations that are placed on tech.... No fantasy land idea of a phone is possible at this time.

Maybe so, but my phone last all day now and I let it charge while I sleep. Also there is enough power to accomplish all I need to do. In a year there will be a more powerful iPhone that will do even more.

If the iPhone does not meet your needs then just use something else.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Maybe so, but my phone last all day now and I let it charge while I sleep. Also there is enough power to accomplish all I need to do. In a year there will be a more powerful iPhone that will do even more.

If the iPhone does not meet your needs then just use something else.

LoL... You must not have actaully been reading my posts but cool. OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.