Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:21 AM   #1
vaxes
macrumors newbie

Zero Out Delete Mountain Lion Problem

Hi

I'm selling my old iMac (2 months old) which I used for work so I want to do a 7 pass zero delete.

I've created a boot disk on usb stick and can boot up from it using either cmd+r or option but when i try to erase the HD i get the warning

"Secure Disk Erase Failed"
"Couldn't unmount disk"

I've looked every where and can't see where im going wrong even apple care isnt open on a sunday.

Thanks in advance for any help

*Dont worry I fixed the problem*

Last edited by vaxes; Dec 30, 2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: fixed the problem
vaxes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:22 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

I guess you are trying this with the stick in? Take it out, hold OPTION on boot, enter Disk Utility and perform the erase. Then boot with the stick in the drive, but you would only need to install the version of OSX that came with your Mac originally.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:40 AM   #3
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxes View Post
Hi

I'm selling my old iMac (2 months old) which I used for work so I want to do a 7 pass zero delete.

I've created a boot disk on usb stick and can boot up from it using either cmd+r or option but when i try to erase the HD i get the warning

"Secure Disk Erase Failed"
"Couldn't unmount disk"

I've looked every where and can't see where im going wrong even apple care isnt open on a sunday.

Thanks in advance for any help

*Dont worry I fixed the problem*
Are you sure that it is indeed booting from the USB drive instead of the Recovery HD 10.8.2?

Try holding down CMD+Option+R at the same time and doing an Internet Recovery. This will download the baseimage.dmg file from Apple's servers, therefore no files will be in use on your local hard disk. It will take a few moments to boot, but after it does you can wipe the entire disk, do a secure erase, and reinstall 10.8.2.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help