Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve19800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hello all,

This is my first post. Apology if I post in the wrong category.

I will just make the story short. After I called Tech Support regarding my overheating iPhone, crash apps and battery drain, they suggested me to go to see the Genius Bar.

So I went to the Genius Bar to get my phone swapped and I was given a 'Genius Bar Work Authorization & Service Confirmation,' It is obvious that my phone is replaced but why I receved this form? I got two forms in total (long story), one sent via email, one signed on paper but just to be clear the electronic one is not used anymore because I only received one iPhone 5, even though they look similar but the Terms & Conditions are different, one has 6 clauses, the other has 12, is this normal guys?

Thanks a lot.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I honestly have no idea since the last time I had a phone replaced was a 3G with a broken screen back in 2009. But why would you feel the need to question whether the paperwork is legit or not if it was given to you by the Apple Store?

steve19800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I honestly have no idea since the last time I had a phone replaced was a 3G with a broken screen back in 2009. But why would you feel the need to question whether the paperwork is legit or not if it was given to you by the Apple Store?

Because the replacement case is the same, why would they change the Terms & Conditions? The first one sent via email has lesser Terms & Conditions. Not to mention it is actually a replacement not a work authorization & service confirmation.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well you said yourself the electronic one is no longer used/valid. Maybe replacement phones come with extra warranty rules or T&C regulations. Did you read them? What do they say differently?

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I'm really having a hard time understanding why it's such a big issue for you. You got a replacement correct? Why worry about what a piece of paper says?

PLUS you already walked out with the paper/signed the paper (electronically) so it does not matter what the paper says on it, you're now stuck with it.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Hello all,

This is my first post. Apology if I post in the wrong category.

I will just make the story short. After I called Tech Support regarding my overheating iPhone, crash apps and battery drain, they suggested me to go to see the Genius Bar.

So I went to the Genius Bar to get my phone swapped and I was given a 'Genius Bar Work Authorization & Service Confirmation,' It is obvious that my phone is replaced but why I receved this form? I got two forms in total (long story), one sent via email, one signed on paper but just to be clear the electronic one is not used anymore because I only received one iPhone 5, even though they look similar but the Terms & Conditions are different, one has 6 clauses, the other has 12, is this normal guys?

Thanks a lot.

Print out the email, staple it ( or paper clip your choice, I prefer a staple) and file them away. Keep them for one year longer than the life of the iPhone 5 ( the replacement one not the original). Then shread the papers ( remember to remove the staple or paper clip, I prefer staples).

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Why does it even matter? Phone is replaced and if you have any other issues your 1year warranty is still there.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Replacement iPhones carry some additional terms that gives you 90 more days of warranty should your original one-year warranty runs out before that. I.e., if you replace it near the end of the one year anniversary, you have 90 additional days of coverage.

I'm not sure why you're obsessed over some trivial thing though. Just throw away the form. You don't need it.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Enjoy the phone, and toss out all paperwork. It's all good. Apple only uses the serial number to look up the entire history. :apple:

steve19800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Why does it even matter? Phone is replaced and if you have any other issues your 1year warranty is still there.

My concern is about a clause on the paper form. It states:

6. IF ANY PRODUCT SHOULD BE DAMAGED OR LOST WHILE IN APPLEʼS CUSTODY, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW APPLEʼS
LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE COST OF REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE AFFECTED PRODUCT. SUBJECT TO THE
PREVIOUS SENTENCE, APPLEʼS ENTIRE LIABILITY FOR YOUR DAMAGES FROM ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE
REPAIR OF YOUR PRODUCT, WHETHER DUE TO APPLEʼS NEGLIGENCE OR TO ANY OTHER REASON, IS LIMITED TO THE AMOUNTS
THAT YOU PAY FOR REPAIR SERVICES... (cont'd)

From my understanding, the first sentence is basically saying: It is better not to expect the product serviced by Apple will be returned to you as it could be lost somewhere or due to Apple negligence. Another word of saying is: Yes you have warranty but if you leave your product with us there is no guarantee it will be given back to you. Am I missing something? This clause can be used against you. I don't find this statement on the other Terms and Conditions of the same replacement case.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
My concern is about a clause on the paper form. It states:

6. IF ANY PRODUCT SHOULD BE DAMAGED OR LOST WHILE IN APPLEʼS CUSTODY, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW APPLEʼS
LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE COST OF REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE AFFECTED PRODUCT. SUBJECT TO THE
PREVIOUS SENTENCE, APPLEʼS ENTIRE LIABILITY FOR YOUR DAMAGES FROM ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE
REPAIR OF YOUR PRODUCT, WHETHER DUE TO APPLEʼS NEGLIGENCE OR TO ANY OTHER REASON, IS LIMITED TO THE AMOUNTS
THAT YOU PAY FOR REPAIR SERVICES... (cont'd)

From my understanding, the first sentence is basically saying: It is better not to expect the product serviced by Apple will be returned to you as it could be lost somewhere or due to Apple negligence. Another word of saying is: Yes you have warranty but if you leave your product with us there is no guarantee it will be given back to you. Am I missing something? This clause can be used against you. I don't find this statement on the other Terms and Conditions of the same replacement case.

Read the bolded part again. It's saying they will giving you another replacement should something happen to it while servicing it, but don't expect them to compensate you for emotional distress or the like as a result of them losing the original unit.

steve19800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Read the bolded part again. It's saying they will giving you another replacement should something happen to it while servicing it, but don't expect them to compensate you for emotional distress or the like as a result of them losing the original unit.

Thanks. But why would they even give you this extra clause? I'm just wondering on what basis they change their Terms&Conditions standard as I mentioned you don't find this on electronic T&C. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I just don't get it why they don't allow me to receive it via email. It is the same day, same Genius staff, same case. I think it is quite normal for you as a customer if you have question in mind about the product you received.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Thanks. But why would they even give you this extra clause? I'm just wondering on what basis they change their Terms&Conditions standard as I mentioned you don't find this on electronic T&C. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I just don't get it why they don't allow me to receive it via email. It is the same day, same Genius staff, same case. I think it is quite normal for you as a customer if you have question in mind about the product you received.

They obviously have that clause because some segment of the population is actually lame enough to request compensation for emotional distress, etc. I don't know the reason for the discrepancy in paper vs. electronic, but it's rather anal-retentive to concern yourself over such thing as no company will say "Sorry, we lost it and there's nothing we can do."

steve19800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
They obviously have that clause because some segment of the population is actually lame enough to request compensation for emotional distress, etc. I don't know the reason for the discrepancy in paper vs. electronic, but it's rather anal-retentive to concern yourself over such thing as no company will say "Sorry, we lost it and there's nothing we can do."

Ok. I assume they have an assumption about me a minute later and asked me to sign this form. Is this relevant to the Warranty Status? CS Code(CR) instead of In Warranty (LP).

Here are the differences:

Electronic (6 clauses):
http://images.apple.com/legal/terms/docs/Universal_Instant_Exchange.pdf

Paper (12 clauses):
http://images.apple.com/legal/terms...epair_Australia_Terms_Conditions_20110704.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.