Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veriac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Dear members,

I'm looking to buy a monitor to connect to my MacBook Pro Retina on my desk.
My first choice goes to the ATD, as it will fit nicely in my setup. But when I checked the buyers guide it says there will be updates soon, should I wait for an update? There aren't really rumors where I know about...

Kindly thanks for your opinion.

Veriac

jeutie

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Belgium
If you can wait, I'd wait. It is a given that the display will be updated to match the new magsafe (currently an adapter is supplied) as well as USB 3.0, less glare and the thin design of the new iMac.

The question isn't "if" but "when" that'll happen. I guess it'll go together with the announced Mac Pro update somewhere in 2013.

Then again, if you need the display NOW, go ahead and buy it, it is still a lovely display and you could always sell it and buy the new one whenever it is released.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you have lots of money, and don't particularly care about price/performance ratio, buy it.

If you want more bang-for-the-buck, check out a 3rd party solution such as the Dell Ultrasharp...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you have lots of money, and don't particularly care about price/performance ratio, buy it.

If you want more bang-for-the-buck, check out a 3rd party solution such as the Dell Ultrasharp...

I'm not saying the TBD is cheap, but I don't follow your recommendation at all. The equivalent Dell 27" display is $849 vs. $999 for the TBD which includes Thunderbolt for a one wire connection to Mac portables. Just having a clean setup with only one wire to unplug is worth the $150 to me. Plus you can get a refurb TBD for $829. So its not like the TBD is $500 extra or something.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The ATD also has FireWire and Ethernet, which the Dell display does not.

The Dell display does have multiple video inputs, but if you're only using it with a Mac, then they're not of any benefit, where FW and Ethernet could be.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
We got ATDs for Christmas. If you have a thunderbolt capable Mac, I highly recommend getting one. No other monitor has the same set of features/functions.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not saying the TBD is cheap, but I don't follow your recommendation at all. The equivalent Dell 27" display is $849 vs. $999 for the TBD which includes Thunderbolt for a one wire connection to Mac portables. Just having a clean setup with only one wire to unplug is worth the $150 to me. Plus you can get a refurb TBD for $829. So its not like the TBD is $500 extra or something.

I'd say there are advantages and disadvantages to each. For the general user, it comes down to if they wish to take advantage of the docking station functionality, if the fixed display height is comfortable, and if they have a preference between the glossy and matte finishes. Apple isn't completely predictable with updates on these things. I expect them to follow the changes in the imac, but the imacs may be somewhat supply constrained by the new process. As long as that remains the case, I can't see them changing another product to the same process. If I had to guess, I'd say not before March or April and as late as August.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I imagine an incredibly sleek display, probably within the next 6 months maybe at WWDC? Hopefully sooner.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Other options

I'm looking to buy a monitor to connect to my MacBook Pro Retina on my desk.My first choice goes to the ATD, as it will fit nicely in my setup.

I considered this long and hard and bought a HP 24 inch ZR2440W IPS Display instead. In trying the different screens this was non-shiny and has HDMI input for when the Thunderbolt ports are being used for Firewire and Ethernet.

If the Apple 27" was not like a mirror and had USB3 then it would have been much better option for me. The cost is very high and if I had been feeling richer I would have considered the EIZO 27 inch ColorEdge CG275W over the Apple.

There is a 2011 27" iMac in the house and I loathe the glare from that screen. It is interesting that the rMBPs are much better in this respect compared to previous models and Apple finally seem to be responding to this criticism.

Bottom line: If you want an Apple display - I would wait

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If you can wait, I'd wait. It is a given that the display will be updated to match the new magsafe (currently an adapter is supplied) as well as USB 3.0, less glare and the thin design of the new iMac.

The question isn't "if" but "when" that'll happen. I guess it'll go together with the announced Mac Pro update somewhere in 2013.

Then again, if you need the display NOW, go ahead and buy it, it is still a lovely display and you could always sell it and buy the new one whenever it is released.

And then what....they are going to supply yet another magsafe adaptor variant to make it compatible with earlier macbook models? :confused: Makes more sense that they will continue using the older magsafe, and bundle the adaptor in.

My guess is that they will announce it with a 2013 mac pro (or so I hope).

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Since the new ATD would likely use the same IPS Screen as the current model, the main differences between current and new ATD would be:
  • USB 3 instead of USB 2
  • FW likely disappears
  • thinner edges…with thicker area where duck foot mounts

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Since the new ATD would likely use the same IPS Screen as the current model, the main differences between current and new ATD would be:
  • USB 3 instead of USB 2
  • FW likely disappears
  • thinner edges…with thicker area where duck foot mounts

You forgot most important thing: less reflection and no dust between display and glass

mawyatt

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
Veriac,

I have the MBPr and TBD. This combo works well and the TBD is a docking station for the MBPr. The MBPr requires only the TB connector from the display, since this has the pigtail power adapter for the MBP built-in. The TBD has multiple USB2, Firewire (400/800) and a Thunderbolt and Ethernet port. The USB is good for keyboard, mouse, USB memory, and hard drive. USB3 would be nice, but you have that on the MBPr if you really need the speed. I use the LaCie TB 2Big external hard drives (2) via the Thunderbolt connection, one is for my image files the other is for Time Machine.

The only downside to the TBD I see is the USB2 ports instead of the USB3 ports, the background glare doesn't bother me but as others mentioned it might be a distraction.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
To me the the most important thing is availability. Our ATDs are being used now....not at some point in the future. :wink:

Last edited:

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
...and perhaps retina.

As far as I understand, the thunderbolt standard doesn't even support the kind of screen resolution that would be needed on a retina 27'' display. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Depends on what pixel count apple says constitutes a 27" retina screen. They have not said that....yet.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'd buy third party for the input option there is no real point in locking yourself in to an Apple only display.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I am in the same boat as I think I will be getting a new Mac desktop. I want the 27" ATD, but not sure I want to buy now as I would rather wait for the update and get some added life out of it. Hopefully the update will be sooner than later. Might just pick up a used ~$100 monitor on CL until the update.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Depends on what pixel count apple says constitutes a 27" retina screen. They have not said that....yet.

Or it will be a 20-22" display rather than 27". If I remember correct Panasonic has a new panel that size with 3840x2160 resolution.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Too small a monitor to be a desktop screen. Folks are used to 24"+. Now that I have ATD, I don't want smaller than 27".

AstroMatt

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
ASUS WQHD monitor

The ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD monitor has good user reviews at Amazon and NewEgg. I just ordered one. $699.

Matt Wood

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.