Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
What I mean is, do you spend much time going in and killing apps that you've recently used? I was with iPhone from the very start but in the last year or so I've been pretty fully dedicated with Android. I always made it a point to back out of apps so they'd close down when I was done using them.

I know that both iOS and Android do a pretty good job about killing processes as needed but I tried to manage it myself if I can. I never used things like Task Killers but I'd do what I could on my end.

But as it stands, I'm getting tired of worrying about that crap, lol. I just got my iPad 4th Gen and wondered if I should be perfectly fine with ZERO concern about all the apps running in the multitasking bar.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Nope. Only time I kill an app is if its acting strange and I think restarting the app might fix it or if I've been using an app that uses GPS and I notice it's still using location service and draining my battery I might kill that app. Otherwise I never look at what apps are running.

Cheers,

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
That is on my wish list. An app or IOS way to kill all tasks that are open. I don't like clutter. When I close them I want the to be closed (except for an occasional one I would like the option to keep open).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What I mean is, do you spend much time going in and killing apps that you've recently used? I was with iPhone from the very start but in the last year or so I've been pretty fully dedicated with Android. I always made it a point to back out of apps so they'd close down when I was done using them.

There's absolutely no point in doing that.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
There's absolutely no point in doing that.

If you use four finger app switching it can be useful to close out some unused apps. It's also safe to assume that killing an app frees up some level of memory usage, since every app maintains a frozen "image" of how it was last used.

That being said, the OS certainly is designed to avoid the need for user management of opened apps. As someone else said, don't waste your time unless it was an app that accesses location services and you suspect it may use some background resources that you'd prefer it doesn't.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If I don't kill all the apps during the overnight charge , in the morning the ipad will say 99% instead of 100%

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
When i want to play big ges like modern combat 4 or ravensword 2 in my mini, i close all the apps in the multitasking bar to make sure games dont quit caused by lack of memory.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
iPhone completely froze up, took it to Apple and was told it was due to too many open apps.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, the only time I'll force close an app is because its misbehaving.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Once in a while, if my ipad3 seems to act up (e.g.: Safari sometimes can't seem to hold a single webpage in memory, closing apps seems to help).

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I do it once a day and this is usually at night as I am going to bed, plugging it in for a full charge. I also restart my phone right before I plug it in for charging. I get some say this is unnecessary, but I never have any issues and I contribute most of that to this process. I use to not worry about, but I've had too many episodes of battery draining too quickly and sluggish performance.

I know by closing all the apps, restarting... giving it a full charge I am ready to go into my day problem free. Works for me!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yes there is.

Ever play "big" games that Infinity Blade II or Real Racing 2? Gotta delete everything for them to run the best.

Nonsense. If games need RAM, apps will automatically be terminated. They still show as "open" in the task switcher, and will be restarted and continue where you left them if you try to switch to them.

When i want to play big ges like modern combat 4 or ravensword 2 in my mini, i close all the apps in the multitasking bar to make sure games dont quit caused by lack of memory.

If there isn't enough memory, iOS will terminate other apps.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I do it once a day and this is usually at night as I am going to bed, plugging it in for a full charge. I also restart my phone right before I plug it in for charging. I get some say this is unnecessary, but I never have any issues and I contribute most of that to this process.

Pre-historic people used this same 'logic' to conclude the crowing rooster caused the sun to rise.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
By that logic, I am proud to announce that I have found the cure for cancer! I play video games for several hours a day and have yet to develop cancer. Tell your friends!

You heard it here first. Give the gift of life by buying your loved ones an Xbox.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Yes there is.

Ever play "big" games that Infinity Blade II or Real Racing 2? Gotta delete everything for them to run the best.

I was under the impression that the app stops using any memory when not in use after a few minutes?

My wife never clears out her iPad 3, I go check it out and she has every app on her iPad in the bar, she nor I notices a difference in the performance.

I think it's just a way to ease your mind on clearing the apps out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.