Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wobble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi,

I have a 2007 MacMini which runs as my Music center. It runs fine, but without a display (monitor) attached, programs keep crashing. For example iTunes, Safari and also the Finder. Attaching a display to the DVI port and it runs fine again. Reinstalling Lion (10.7.5) didn't solve the problem. :confused:

In the crash log from all crashes the Exception type is: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Anyone an idea?

thanks and regards,
Maarten

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I think reinstalling the OS was a presumptive step. You typically reserve that for system-wide issues, which are isolated/diagnosed by first testing in another user. You will likely find that these issues are unique to your particular user account in which case a clearing of the ~/Caches folder and the relevant files in ~/Library/Preferences is likely in order. The relevant files, would likely involve com.apple.Finder.plist, and com.apple.Safari.plist, possibly also the preference file relating to your display settings. These and other steps are outlined here.

Wobble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi JediMaster,

thanks for your answer. I choose to reinstall for some other reasons also.

The mini is working fine with a physical monitor attached, and different programs start crashed without a monitor attached. To me, it looks like a driver for a display is not loaded and this a causing memory problems. But I don't know how to solve this.

regards
maarten

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.