Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Applecare?

Hi; wondering whether I should buy Applecare for my 2011 Mini. I've had zero problems with it.

Applecare is 129.00 but I could simply buy a new machine for 499.00...

I don't think it's worth buying as I've had zero problems - thoughts?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

Just because you have had zero problems with it, does not mean, that in the second and third year of your ownership nothing will happen.

But then again, nothing might happen anyway. It is a gamble, and you have to decide, if you want peace of mind or do not mind the 499 GBP you might have to pay for a new one.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
yegon
macrumors 68000

Buy it from CeX for peanuts, only 35;

http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=885909116850

I've Apple Care'd multiple macs/iPhones this way. Got a replacement trackpad and ODD on my old mbp in the third year of ownership via this, and my old iPhone 4 developed mic problems in its second year, Apple store replaced it with a brand new iPhone 4. It's completely legit, you just register the code online and et voila.

Last edited by yegon; Dec 30, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:03 PM   #4
tejota1911
macrumors regular

Personally, I never buy AC. I usually upgrade every 12 months or so anyway. I sell my old equipment for top dollar, so the price of upgrading is minimal.
tejota1911 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:07 PM   #5
BingClawsby
macrumors regular

The way I understood Applecare was that you firstly had the usual one year manufacturer type warranty, then Applecare took care of an extra two years worth, for a total of 3 years worth of warranty if so desired.

When I bought a macbook in mid 2007, I waited till the first year was almost up then got applecare. Its nearly five and a half years later an its working like new (knock, knock). The only problem I've had to use applecare for was that just before it expired I had gotten a replacement for the original battery pack that had swollen up. (a common problem it seemed)

So bottom line is I don't think you can get Applecare now being that you would have had to get it by the time the original one year warranty expired... unless they've changed the terms in 5 years.

Apparently that is the case according to Apple:
http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Maybe Apple has to subscribe by different warranty laws in the UK though... I don't know

However, I do believe there are third party warranties you can buy for practically anything you own

Last edited by BingClawsby; Dec 30, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
BingClawsby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:37 PM   #6
yegon
macrumors 68000

You're right about buying in the first year, but its entirely possible the op bought his 2011 mini this calendar year in which case he's still got time.

I advise the CeX route, 35 for two extra years warranty is a no brainer. I don't upgrade macs like phones - year on year computer upgrades are the very definition of incremental upgrades, unless you're constantly running your gear full load 24/7.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

I'm a big fan of Applecare for computers (though not for iPods) - to my way of thinking, it gives you peace of mind for three years.

I have had Applecare on each of the two Apple computers I have owned (a MBP and a MBA) and have actually had to avail of it for each of them. Well worth it. It meant that when the HDD went on my MBP, two years after I bought it, Apple replaced it without a problem.

Likewise, 14 months after I bought my MBA, the magsafe adaptor needed replacing, and the keyboard - which failed - was also replaced under Applecare.

There are those who replace computers every year. I'm not one of them. However, having Applecare when you sell on means that potential buyers may well be reassured even if they are buying a computer which is over two years of age.

Re Applecare, you can buy it at any time during the first year you have the computer - one year from the date of the sales receipt - but not one minute after that. Personally, I recommend it, especially if you plan to hold onto a computer for longer than a year.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:49 PM   #8
BingClawsby
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yegon View Post
You're right about buying in the first year, but its entirely possible the op bought his 2011 mini this calendar year in which case he's still got time.
True.

Whats funny is when I go and buy some electronic do-hickey for under a hundred bucks and they want to sell you more warranty for another 35.

I tells them, 'look, if i only wind up getting a years worth of usage outta this thing and then it craps out, i got my money's worth'
BingClawsby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:55 PM   #9
yegon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingClawsby View Post
True.

Whats funny is when I go and buy some electronic do-hickey for under a hundred bucks and they want to sell you more warranty for another 35.

I tells them, 'look, if i only wind up getting a years worth of usage outta this thing and then it craps out, i got my money's worth'

Oh god yeah. The worse for that in the UK is Argos. Buy a 6 usb charger and they try and upsell a 3 year warranty on it for 3 lol
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:34 PM   #10
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

I got the 2012 with Fusion drive, figured more potential failure points in that system so I went with AppleCare to give me 3 years of not having to worry about repair cost.

Also AppleCare is transferable so if you sell your Mini you can advertise that as a benefit, remaining warranty coverage.

Interestingly AirPort or Time Machine is also covered if purchased within 2 years prior to, or during the AppleCare coverage on a Mac - so my AirPort Extreme I bought in 2011 is covered as well. Mice, keyboards, and displays are also covered but only if purchased with the Mini.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:28 AM   #11
jamin100
macrumors 6502

Just buy the mini from the education store, get a discount and 3 years AppleCare
jamin100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini