Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Xpeich
macrumors newbie

Externally streaming music collection

Hi,
I am looking for a way to stream my 300GB itunes music collection externally so that I can listen to music while at work. The music is on my MBP, but I would rather find a solution that does not require me to keep my MBP on all day.

I think I need some kind of network drive : the music would be backed up on it (wirelessly and seamlessly through TimeMachine if possible) and would stream from it, either to my iPhone with an app (?) or to my office computer's iTunes.

I'm not sure if it helps, but i already have an AirPort express.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
Xpeich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Sounds like iTunes Match would be a good fit for you.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
phairphan
macrumors 6502

If the OP has 300 GB of music, s/he has far exceeded iTunes Match's 25,000 song limit unless all of the music is stored as wavs of aiffs.

Plex and its myPlex feature will do you what you want. However, in order to leave your computer off and still be able to stream you will need to store your collection on a NAS device which is capable of running the Plex server software. AirPorts won't work.
phairphan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Xpeich
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers. Yes, I have more than the limit and I'm also looking for something to backup locally all my files (movies etc).

I will look into Plex. Any NAS device to suggest?
Xpeich is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice