Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
I have got a 2011 mba 11" (4gb, 128gb ssd) now it came with Lion but due to the offer apple ran where i could upgrade to ML with eligible purchases etc
I immediately upgraded to ML
Now with the battery issues (user usage or apple problem) and me not using notifications would i be better going back to Lion or just stick with ML now? I wont be upgrading my MBA for a while unless i get a lottery winfall or whatever so this will be my baby for a while now

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Now with the battery issues (user usage or apple problem)

What battery issue? I'm on ML with my 2011 Air and also upgraded from Apple's up to date program. I don't see any difference between Lion and ML ... the battery's always been quick to drain compared to our other Macs. I get around 3 hours surfing the web, streaming videos on half brightness.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
I get about 3 hours battery just surfing the web, which i think is awful.
My old 13" c2d mbp i used to easily get 5-6hours doing the exact same (lion)
Now i know the mba as a smaller battery etc but something aint right!
Hardly got anything of any note on my mba, might just install lion again and see if that helps... Pitty i couldnt put SL on it. Now that was a top OS

halledise

macrumors 68000
Hardly got anything of any note on my mba, might just install lion again and see if that helps... Pitty i couldnt put SL on it. Now that was a top OS

out of interest, did you do an erase and clean install of ML or just go over the top of Lion?

you can use this from Apple for a recovery disc usb stick
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

and this to make the actual startup (bootable) ML usb stick
http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

both very handy to have on hand :)

moral-hazard

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2009

13" C2D MBP will undoubtedly see much better battery life. FWIW, I have replaced the battery of the 13" C2D MBP and it probably weighs as much and has the same volume as the entire MBA does. So yes, you will see better life with the MBP than MBA :)

As someone else mentioned, consider doing a fresh install. Fresh install will always perform better than an upgrade from an old install. Not sure if this is causing your battery issue a whole lot but I always recommend that over the upgrades, which tend to leave the machine in a not-very-performant state.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
Yes i did a fresh install still got the ML usb i made (did have a Lion one but don't know where it is)
I only use the MBA purely for internet, iphoto and itunes/iPhone and nothing else so i would rather have the battery if possible over features.
Perhaps people will say "why spend that much for what you use then" but i like the look, feel and quality that a mac brings thats why i use a mac

I might just try and get lion again (i did purchase it when i had my mbp) but dont think it will show up in my downloads in the app store now

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
If you got it from the App store you may download it again. There is no reason you should be getting poor performance on your MBA. You should be looking into Activity Monitor and an awesome app called coconut battery as it checks the health of your battery.

Mountain Lion is better than Lion ever was. Lion was the WORST OS Apple has ever produced and was the most buggy software I've ever dealt with. I miss the good ole days of Snow Leopard. Though now my MBA on Mountain Lion the only issue I have is a slow shut down compared to what it used to be. I've spammed Apple to fix it.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Mountain Lion is better than Lion ever was. Lion was the WORST OS Apple has ever produced and was the most buggy software I've ever dealt with. I miss the good ole days of Snow Leopard. Though now my MBA on Mountain Lion the only issue I have is a slow shut down compared to what it used to be. I've spammed Apple to fix it.

I agree - I would either stick with SL or jump to ML. Lion was slow (at least it felt slow) and battery life stunk.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach

I have the same MBA 11 you do and I'm running Lion. Have you seen any improvement since you first installed Mt. Lion? I had the same concerns you did (battery life, wifi) which is why I haven't upgraded yet.

Just wondering if after a few days you still notice battery life decline. Thanks!

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I get almost 5 hours of wifi surfing on my 2010 11" Air with 10.8.2 @ half brightness

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
Well completely disabled notifications (never liked it nor used it) used the internet for 3 hours straight (putting adverts on ebay, checking the footy results etc) and my battery is still over half. Which is awesome compared to what i used to get!
So for me the battery drainer was notifications

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.