Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkitchen0406

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I have a new 15 macbook pro retina. I use to have a 2011 macbook air. I don't hear the fans go on at all like I did my macbook air. I ran a red crucible 2, youtube, and downloaded a few games. I tried to multitask to see if the fans would go, but I hear nothing. Is there an issue with my macbook pro. Thank you

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
vimeo

I have a new 15 macbook pro retina. I use to have a 2011 macbook air. I don't hear the fans go on at all like I did my macbook air. I ran a red crucible 2, youtube, and downloaded a few games. I tried to multitask to see if the fans would go, but I hear nothing. Is there an issue with my macbook pro. Thank you

watch a couple of short documentaries from the vimeo site and you're sure hear those fans roar like a couple of jet engines. that is what my 15" maxed out r-MB did and the vent area near the screen was scorching hot to the touch, returned it for my full refund (cash).

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
You're probably not hearing as much of the fans because of the fact that the new Macbook Pro Retina's fans are asymmetrical in shape. As such, the frequency the fan gives off when running cancels out a little bit, so they might not seem as loud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.