Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Go back to previous iTunes version

Can I go back? I updated to 11 and can't figure out this thing. I try to sync my phone and have no idea where to go for new downloads or anything. This change looks nice but I don't feel like learning all this over. Anyway to go back?
bhigh8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2
BlindMellon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhigh8 View Post
Can I go back? I updated to 11 and can't figure out this thing. I try to sync my phone and have no idea where to go for new downloads or anything. This change looks nice but I don't feel like learning all this over. Anyway to go back?
I don't know if you can go back, but I hate the new version so much I tracked down an earlier version (10).

I've played with this since it came out and can't begin to express how much I hate it. Now you spend all your time jumping back and forth between iPhone screen and your library screen and/or playlist screen. Worst layout I've ever seen in a program.

What was wrong with having everything visible on one screen like it was in v10?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMellon View Post
I don't know if you can go back, but I hate the new version so much I tracked down an earlier version (10).

I've played with this since it came out and can't begin to express how much I hate it. Now you spend all your time jumping back and forth between iPhone screen and your library screen and/or playlist screen. Worst layout I've ever seen in a program.

What was wrong with having everything visible on one screen like it was in v10?
i agree. and now my wifes phone had an issue and it went into recovery mode. this would all be easier if it was somewhat close to the old itunes. why make such drastic changes.
bhigh8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:45 PM   #4
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

fortunately, i have the old itunes version executable file

Uninstall your current version of itunes and install it with the following package

[link removed]

it is up to you to be paranoid if i infected it with a virus or whatnot but i assure you, it is the original file i downloaded from apple's site with no changes done to it whatsoever.

reply back after you have downloaded it. i will remove it from my dropbox afterwards. if you don't reply back, i will remove it in 2 days.

NOTE: uninstalling the current version of itunes and installing a older/previous version of itunes MIGHT cause your music library to be messed up. Try and run iTunes 10 first to see if you encounter an error message. If you do and if you did not update to the newest version of itunes too long ago, you still have a chance to fix that

This is on Windows 7!

1. Open My Computer
2. On one of the tabs, click "Organize"
3. Click "Folder and Search Options"
4. Go to the tab "View"
5. uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types"
6. Click "OK"
7. Open "Local Disk (C"
8. Open "Users"
9. Open "[Username folder]"
10. Open "Music"
11. Open "iTunes"
12. In this folder, you will find a file called "iTunes Library.itl". Save a copy of it onto your desktop just in case.
13. Open Previous iTunes Libraries
14. Inside the folder, you should find files named "iTunes Library [date].itl"
15. Delete "iTunes Library.itl" from the iTunes folder
16. Copy and paste ONE of the "iTunes Library [date].itl" and rename it to "iTunes Library.itl"
17. Open up iTunes and if it says something about iTunes Library.itl being too new or outdated or something, try another of the "iTunes Library [date].itl" and redo the steps.
18. If one of the file works, congratulations! You have iTunes 10 back.

however, if none of the file works, in the "iTunes" folder, put the "iTunes Library.itl" you have on the desktop (as a backup) back into the "iTunes" folder and update it back to the most current version of itunes.

if you don't mind redoing your music library, then delete the "iTunes Library.itl" (move to the desktop just in case) and run iTunes 10 and it should make a new iTunes Library.itl, one that'll be compatible with iTunes 10.
If it shows some sort of error message again, then move the "iTunes Library.itl" from your desktop back into the iTunes folder and update to iTunes 11

I hope you will be able to go back to iTunes 10! Best of luck to you!

Last edited by darricksailo; Jan 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone