Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obsessorize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Hi, I recently got the 5 and even updated it to the latest iOS. I went through all of the setup correctly, all of my apple Ids and passwords are correct and was able to pull everything from iCloud. My problem lies in iMessage/FaceTime. First, it still says 'waiting for activation' (even after 24 hrs). Next, when I click on my ID to view my account it says 'unable to contact iMessage/FaceTime server. Try again.'. Also, under 'you can be reached at...' my phone number is greyed out and unchecked.

I've tried everything except calling apple...i.e. reset, hard reboot, check date/time, checking for correct phone number, changing the DNS on my wifi to the google server...nothing works. I don't know if the server really is down and other people are having this problem or if I'm just missing something. Thanks in advance for any help!!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
iMessage works fine for me. Did you try restoring once more after updating to the latest iOS?

Obsessorize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Darrick, however, I did try that (i actually tried resetting all settings; erasing all content and settings; and resetting network settings). I also tried restoring all of my settings for my iphone that were saved to the icloud (even tried from various dates). I feel like I'm missing something obvious, though...my next option is to take it back to the cell phone carrier and have them reboot it back to their settings

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
The problem with doing all that stuff that you've tried is that it muddies the waters. If the original issue was just something simple that had been overlooked, you've now compounded that issue with myriad other factors (potentially). It sounds like starting over might not be a bad idea.

Your phone number should be checked. If mucking around with changing servers as you mentioned changed something critical, you'll need to get back to original settings in order to go forward again. Who is your provider?

It's also worth mentioning that Face Time has had periods of downtime in the past, most pervasively during the month after the iPhone 5 was launched. The servers were swamped. Likely there was a strain on Apple servers during this past week due to the volume of new owners activating their devices. Face Time could've just been on the fritz. I haven't used it since Christmas Eve and it was kind of jerky then.

If I've missed the mark and anyone else knows something specific to help, please feel free to jump in.

Obsessorize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for your input! I think you're right with saying I "muddied the waters". I tried starting from scratch again just to see how it would go. When I went through the iPhone Startup Walkthrough, I "skipped" or opted out of all options that weren't basic so I could activate them later (such as; restoring, Siri, etc.). I had my clean slate ready to go and when I went back in and checked imessage it still said 'waiting for activation'. So I then went to set up "send/recieve" it gave me both my phone number and apple ID (with check marks...the phone number was greyed out, which I guess is right) BUT when I went back to the "messages" main screen and clicked 'send/recieve' it only gave my apple ID/email and not my phone number! I'm at a loss...quite frustrating.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You're looking at Settings > Messages?

Maybe you should take your time and go thru Setup step-by-step in the order that you're presented and don't skip steps.

Obsessorize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Sorry, I meant skip as in, it gave me the option to skip/set-up later instead of setting up then. I figured let it start-up without having all of my back-up data loaded onto it so I could troubleshoot.

----------

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm in Japan so my carrier is Softbank. They are the Verizon-equivalent over here and have English customer service as well as English phone set-up options. Hence why I thought it was a date & time zone issue, but everything is golden.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I understand how you might want to take a simple approach initially, given the problems that you're encountering.

Remember that Face Time and iMessage are two separate entities and involve separate setup entries in Settings and they only work with other like-enabled devices who are party to the conversations.

I am in the US and don't have a clue regarding use in other countries, I'm sorry to say. :(

I do wish you success. When you find a solution please post it here, for the benefit of anyone searching for resolution of like issues. :)

Obsessorize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
That's ok, I really appreciate your help anyway. I honestly didn't know they worked as separate entities so I've at least learned a little something from all of this! If, and when, I get this all figured out, I'll be sure to post it on here! Thanks again!

Obsessorize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Solution

So I FINALLY got my iMessage and Facetime up and running again, and honestly, it was quite simple:

1.) Please don't be like me and try and program your new iphone using solely your at home wifi connection (my carrier doesn't provide service in my home, in case you are wondering what I mean).

2.) Follow the instructions from the video that is linked below only AFTER being in a location where you have full service coverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbOfiM5tIaM

3.) Be patient (it's the only way I didn't destroy my brand new phone) :p

Good luck and have a great day!!

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
To explain this, the iMessage (and Facetime) activation processes involve sending a text message (SMS) to Apple.

For that to work, you MUST be able to send and receive SMS messages on the cellular network. If you don't have a signal, or those messages aren't allowed on your account, it won't activate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.