Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
4 microscopic scratches on black iPhone 5 but it's there

I live a few blocks from the 5th avenue Apple Store, but there are small tiny scratches on the bezel, camera, and sides. This was a replacement of my other iPhone . I'm afraid if I turn the phone in they won't be able to see the scratches since its only visible is bright light or sunlight. These scratches will obviously decrease the resale value.
FatGuy007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
I live a few blocks from the 5th avenue Apple Store, but there are small tiny scratches on the bezel, camera, and sides. This was a replacement of my other iPhone . I'm afraid if I turn the phone in they won't be able to see the scratches since its only visible is bright light or sunlight. These scratches will obviously decrease the resale value.
Seek professional help. Really.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display Nexus 5 Nexus 7
xraydoc is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I would take it back. I don't usually resell my phones, but if you do this could be important. If they refuse the return call Apple and see what they can do for you.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:55 PM   #4
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
You're over reacting over marks that can't be seen during use or even normal operating areas. If you're concerned about resale value, get AppleCare + and replace the phone prior to selling it. Resale value shouldn't even really be taken into consideration when buying a product. Use it.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
You're over reacting over marks that can't be seen during use or even normal operating areas. If you're concerned about resale value, get AppleCare + and replace the phone prior to selling it. Resale value shouldn't even really be taken into consideration when buying a product. Use it.
That depends on the person. If he plans on putting a huge case and a screen protector on it to keep the phone from having any noticeable wear when it comes time to sell it, scratches out of the box need to be taken into consideration based solely on the fact that if he accepts it he's knowingly taking money out of his own pocket. To each their own. I don't know his financial situation. I don't resell my phones, I typically give them to friends or family because I'm good like that.
Chris092881 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:17 PM   #6
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
That depends on the person. If he plans on putting a huge case and a screen protector on it to keep the phone from having any noticeable wear when it comes time to sell it, scratches out of the box need to be taken into consideration based solely on the fact that if he accepts it he's knowingly taking money out of his own pocket. To each their own. I don't know his financial situation. I don't resell my phones, I typically give them to friends or family because I'm good like that.
If he has AppleCare +, scratches out of the box don't even matter, especially if they aren't visible to the naked unless under extreme conditions.

He can replace the phone twice for any reason whatsoever with AppleCare + so when he wants to sell, just go get a nice new refurb that looks brand new.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
resale value.
Are u not going to use it then, keep it in an it shrink wrap to preserve its "new" smell?
Mrbobb is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Why dont you bring in a magnifying glass or microscope so they can see the tiny marks and replace it for you
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
These scratches will obviously decrease the resale value.
Just avoid selling phones to people carrying a microscope around with them. They're pretty easy to spot.
Small White Car is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
OCD. Or is it O C D, or OcD, Or is it oCD, or OCd or ocd.
darster is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:49 PM   #11
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
If he has AppleCare +, scratches out of the box don't even matter, especially if they aren't visible to the naked unless under extreme conditions.

He can replace the phone twice for any reason whatsoever with AppleCare + so when he wants to sell, just go get a nice new refurb that looks brand new.
Just FYI, it's not "for any reason whatsoever". Apple doesn't have to replace it if it doesn't affect the way you use it. Even if you have AC+ and want to pay the $49 fee.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...padenglish.pdf
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:53 PM   #12
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Just FYI, it's not "for any reason whatsoever". Apple doesn't have to replace it if it doesn't affect the way you use it. Even if you have AC+ and want to pay the $49 fee.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...padenglish.pdf
So go damage the phone and turn it in. Simple as that.

I didn't mean for that to sound like he could replace it because he didn't like the way the light reflected off chamfered edge on one corner. I just meant, if it's damaged in anyway that might affect usability , he can replace it.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.

Last edited by vastoholic; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
vastoholic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:55 PM   #13
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
You're worried that apple won't be able to see these scratches but another buyer will when you're selling the phone?
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:05 PM   #14
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
So go damage the phone and turn it in. Simple as that.

I didn't mean for that to sound like he could replace it because he didn't like the way the light reflected off chamfered edge on one corner. I just meant, if it's damaged in anyway that might affect usability , he can replace it.
That's called fraud. Simple as that. Do I think people do it? Of course they do, but I couldn't do it myself. I have insurance instead of AC+ which covers the OOW cost. I'd assume Apple would be much more lenient to swap one for the OOW cost versus the $49 AC+ fee.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:08 PM   #15
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
That's called fraud. Simple as that. Do I think people do it? Of course they do, but I couldn't do it myself. I have insurance instead of AC+ which covers the OOW cost. I'd assume Apple would be much more lenient to swap one for the OOW cost versus the $49 AC+ fee.
I'm just going off of what an apple store rep told me. She said some people swap them out to sell later on even though nothing is really wrong with them but then went on to say, wouldn't you get more enjoyment throwing it against a wall first?

I don't see it as fraud at all. I paid extra for insurance to cover the replacement of any accidental damages. Who's to say what's accidental if I was angry and threw my phone at someone? Or someone else threw my phone.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:15 PM   #16
tl01
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
How will you protect the phone from any additional marks? If they are microscopic... Do you really think your buyer will see them? Can you post pics?

I've sold iDevices before and people just sort of look them over quickly to see if there's any obvious damage. How much do you really think these marks will devalue your phone?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Why dont you bring in a magnifying glass or microscope so they can see the tiny marks and replace it for you
This is obviously the way to go!
tl01 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:17 PM   #17
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I'm just going off of what an apple store rep told me. She said some people swap them out to sell later on even though nothing is really wrong with them but then went on to say, wouldn't you get more enjoyment throwing it against a wall first?

I don't see it as fraud at all. I paid extra for insurance to cover the replacement of any accidental damages. Who's to say what's accidental if I was angry and threw my phone at someone? Or someone else threw my phone.
Oh no, I completely understand. I'm just going by what the AC+ Terms and Conditions say. I'd guess they'll probably swap it, but I was just stating that they *don't* have to unless you can't use it normally. The specifically state that scratches and dents aren't covered. But, like I said, they probably would end up letting you swap it.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:19 PM   #18
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
OCD. Or is it O C D, or OcD, Or is it oCD, or OCd or ocd.
Bzzzzzt. None of the above. The answer we were looking for was "Anal Retentive". But here's Jan with a nice consolation prize...
PNutts is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:24 PM   #19
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Oh no, I completely understand. I'm just going by what the AC+ Terms and Conditions say. I'd guess they'll probably swap it, but I was just stating that they *don't* have to unless you can't use it normally. The specifically state that scratches and dents aren't covered. But, like I said, they probably would end up letting you swap it.
Apple accidentally sent me an extra 5 on my last swap. I got phones from FedEx on back to back days. My credit card only had one hold placed on it. I called Apple and told them and they thanked me for my honesty and admitted it was an error on their part. They've since screwed me over. I consider myself an honest person, but I'm not so sure that it really pays to be that way.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:26 PM   #20
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Oh no, I completely understand. I'm just going by what the AC+ Terms and Conditions say. I'd guess they'll probably swap it, but I was just stating that they *don't* have to unless you can't use it normally. The specifically state that scratches and dents aren't covered. But, like I said, they probably would end up letting you swap it.
Now I'm tracking (like a choo choo). That's a bit excessive, but I do think the Apple Store's would probably suck up to the customer enough just to avoid pissing them off in those cases. Sad, but yeah, probably happens a lot.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:30 PM   #21
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Damn really you could only see it in certain light and certain angle?! You need to seek professional help.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:31 PM   #22
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Damn really you could only see it in certain light and certain angle?! You need to seek professional help.
You're one to talk.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:32 PM   #23
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Now I'm tracking (like a choo choo). That's a bit excessive, but I do think the Apple Store's would probably suck up to the customer enough just to avoid pissing them off in those cases. Sad, but yeah, probably happens a lot.
Agreed. They'd rather you leave happy than angry.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:33 PM   #24
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
You're one to talk.
I'm done with you. Welcome to the ignore list. He's complaining about microscopic scratches.
Jordan921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:52 PM   #25
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
Bzzzzzt. None of the above. The answer we were looking for was "Anal Retentive". But here's Jan with a nice consolation prize...
Woo hoo. I get a prize. Please, no microscopic scratches on the prize that I can see at 2 in afternoon, with a sun angle of 53.7 degrees, semi filtered by cirrus cloud deck at 27,000 feet.
darster is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iphone 5 black/white scratches? Otterbox Commuter Good? duhyes iPhone 5 Apr 10, 2014 12:02 PM
Is it possible to fix scratches in the black iPhone 5 coating? felixen iPhone 45 Jan 5, 2014 03:52 PM
Best way to avoid scratches iPhone 5 (Black)? ShowOut iPhone Accessories 23 Jul 23, 2013 03:17 PM
iPad Mini: black and slate looks so prone to scratches ventuss iPad 22 Jul 7, 2013 02:35 PM
iPhone 5: Black or White? Which one shows scratches/stains the most? 50548 iPhone 37 Sep 19, 2012 08:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC