Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Gary86
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
OWC SSD Kit

Has anyone used the SSD upgrade kit for the 2012 Mini? I'm looking to do this upgrade and add 120GB. Is there a better kit out there?
Gary86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:41 PM   #2
largebauce
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I didn't purchase an SSD from owc but I did buy the data doubler kit. Just installed the second drive this weekend with no issues.
largebauce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Gary86
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Their kit isn't bad priced either. 150 for everything. How do you decide what info is saved where? I know I could install them but not good with the formatting and start up drive stuff, etc
Gary86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4
ndriver182
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I ordered one from them and will be installing it later this week when my mini shows up. I've done this upgrade a couple times before, but used the iFixit kit. Looks to me that the OWC kit is the same as iFixit except that the tool kit included isn't quite as big (I didn't care about this since I still had the kit from previous installs). The OWC kit was less money so I went with that this time. I could almost do this install in my sleep by now. One thing that was kind of cool about the OWC kit is that it included color print instructions, which might be nice for some people.
ndriver182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Gary86
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndriver182 View Post
I ordered one from them and will be installing it later this week when my mini shows up. I've done this upgrade a couple times before, but used the iFixit kit. Looks to me that the OWC kit is the same as iFixit except that the tool kit included isn't quite as big (I didn't care about this since I still had the kit from previous installs). The OWC kit was less money so I went with that this time. I could almost do this install in my sleep by now. One thing that was kind of cool about the OWC kit is that it included color print instructions, which might be nice for some people.
I'm usually good with the install type of stuff. Just gotta figure out how to make the SSD the boot drive and should I install this before using the migration assistant? I'm coming from a MacBook Air. Well keeping the air and using the air backup on the Mini. Although I might just copy my iTunes, iPhoto, and few finder folders to an external HD and bring them over.
Gary86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:41 PM   #6
ndriver182
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
If you're migrating from the Air, I'd just go ahead and do the SSD update to the mini straight out of the box. Why wait? Once you put the SSD in, you will want to boot the mini into the Internet recovery option so you can install ML onto the new SSD. You should also be able to select the new SSD as the primary boot drive within Disk Utility when you start up the Internet recovery option.
ndriver182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:03 PM   #7
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
I'm usually good with the install type of stuff. Just gotta figure out how to make the SSD the boot drive and should I install this before using the migration assistant? I'm coming from a MacBook Air. Well keeping the air and using the air backup on the Mini. Although I might just copy my iTunes, iPhoto, and few finder folders to an external HD and bring them over.
As ndriver182 says, just hit Command-R when you are booting to get into internet recovery. From there you can go into disk utility to format your SSD and install the OS on it. I formatted the HDD while I was in there so I didn't need to mess around with which drive would be the boot drive. My mini was brand new. I opened it, booted it up to make sure everything was ok with it, then took it apart to put in the SSD. So there was nothing on the HDD to save.

I had all my data on external drives so I just moved things manually.
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:20 PM   #8
donlab
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
Has anyone used the SSD upgrade kit for the 2012 Mini? I'm looking to do this upgrade and add 120GB. Is there a better kit out there?
Yep, I did. Just upgraded the mini over the weekend with the data doubler kit and 120GB mercury electra SATA III SSD drive. I followed the installation video on OWC's site without issue.

I created a fusion drive which was painful to setup, but now it screams.

Last edited by donlab; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
donlab is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:58 AM   #9
baller1308
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
ifixit has a kit also, but is $10 more. You'll get a better toolset and the price comes out to be almost the same depending on shipping and coupons. I wanted my order to arrive before Christmas, so I went with ifixit's kit. Both are pretty much the same and will accomplish the same thing also.
__________________
I <3 Apple
baller1308 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:57 AM   #10
Gary86
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Well the migration seems to be going smooth. I'll have to wait to buy the SSD kit later. Just bought the mini, 2 monitors, and the 16gb RAM. We just had our second child so I'll wait another month or so.
Gary86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:44 AM   #11
majkom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
guys, this is that iFixit kit for mac mini 2011/2012?

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Ma...-Kit/IF171-005

I plan to buy mini 2011 or 2012 (stil cant decite between ati and intel 4000) and add own SSD - is this kit all I need (except SSD, of course)?

thx.
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:59 AM   #12
donlab
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
Well the migration seems to be going smooth. I'll have to wait to buy the SSD kit later. Just bought the mini, 2 monitors, and the 16gb RAM. We just had our second child so I'll wait another month or so.
I know what you're going through, we just had our first child. I setup the mini in between the nightly 3 hour feedings. So I think the fusion drive setup in hindsight would have been easier if I had a night sleep
donlab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:01 AM   #13
Gary86
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlab View Post
I know what you're going through, we just had our first child. I setup the mini in between the nightly 3 hour feedings. So I think the fusion drive setup in hindsight would have been easier if I had a night sleep
I wish it was 3hr feedings. He has bad colic. Screaming fits for 3-5hrs straight. But he's worth it.
Gary86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:09 AM   #14
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary86 View Post
I wish it was 3hr feedings. He has bad colic. Screaming fits for 3-5hrs straight. But he's worth it.
Completely off topic, but our Daughter had colic. It would start every night around 5:30 and run until about 9:00 or so. We found the only way to get her to go to sleep was to go for half hour car rides at highway speeds or better... We burned thru so much gas for about 2 months....

EDIT: and we would loop the hour long car cabin white noise from this white noise in her room all night so she didn't wake up: http://babysleepnoise.com/download.html (I have no affiliation with this website at all, just what worked for us)
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Gary86
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
Completely off topic, but our Daughter had colic. It would start every night around 5:30 and run until about 9:00 or so. We found the only way to get her to go to sleep was to go for half hour car rides at highway speeds or better... We burned thru so much gas for about 2 months....

EDIT: and we would loop the hour long car cabin white noise from this white noise in her room all night so she didn't wake up: http://babysleepnoise.com/download.html (I have no affiliation with this website at all, just what worked for us)
Lol. We got him this baby incline sleeper which works wonders during the day and hit or miss at night. Only thing that works for him is slow bouncing and playing "baby praise" Christian music...it is pretty soothing. We both passed out earlier.
Gary86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:38 AM   #16
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Lots of babies. We just had our 3rd on Dec 8th. 3, 2 and the nb. I don't know how you guys do it with colic. Ours just chirps and grunts a lot at night and leaves me with broken sleep, but still sleep. Best wishes!
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:12 PM   #17
AC Rempt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by majkom View Post
guys, this is that iFixit kit for mac mini 2011/2012?

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Ma...-Kit/IF171-005

I plan to buy mini 2011 or 2012 (stil cant decite between ati and intel 4000) and add own SSD - is this kit all I need (except SSD, of course)?

thx.
Wow, this looks like a much better deal than the OWC kit. The driver set alone is a real step up. That said, I went with the OWC kit (hadn't looked at the iFixit kit), and everything worked just fine.
__________________
2013 iMac 3.4 i5 | MacBook Air 13" 1.7 i5 GHz | 64 Gig iPhone 6 Plus | 64 Gig iPad Air
AC Rempt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:17 PM   #18
majkom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
Wow, this looks like a much better deal than the OWC kit. The driver set alone is a real step up. That said, I went with the OWC kit (hadn't looked at the iFixit kit), and everything worked just fine.
Heh but i will choose owc, ifixit kit seems superb but delivery fees to europe are 50 usd whereas owc asks only for 14 usd.
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OWC Data Doubler Kit Designed4Mac Mac mini 31 Mar 3, 2013 03:42 AM
2 x SSDs - need for OWC kit? GsySaxMan Mac mini 6 Feb 12, 2013 06:00 PM
Got my mini. Some things I noticed (added SSD, OWC kit, added RAM) jshbckr Mac mini 6 Oct 31, 2012 11:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC