Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WesRocks360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
My 27 inch iMac is coming in tomorrow and I'm new to the Mac OS so I have a few questions. One things I wana do is play games. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer the only games I play really arnt graphics heavy so I was wondering if parrallels and boot camp are like linked. For example if I download League of Legends on Parallels can I then play it in Boot Camp? Or do I have to download it in Boot Camp? I wana spend the least amount of time I can in Windows. So could I download stuff on Parrallels then use it in Bootcamp?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Parallels and Bootcamp are separate installations of Windows with their own applications. Whatever you install in one has no effect on the other.

Unless you're playing Solitaire, games are just not going to perform in Parallels at all. LoL will be far too much for it.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Once you get bootcamp setup and windows installed, Parallels will boot from the bootcamp partition and you can run as a virtual machine from within OS X. If you are unhappy with the game performance running virtual, you can shutdown the virtual machine, then boot into bootcamp and play the game from there. No need to reinstall the game.

At least you can do all that with VMware, I have never tried Parallels myself.

B

My 27 inch iMac is coming in tomorrow and I'm new to the Mac OS so I have a few questions. One things I wana do is play games. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer the only games I play really arnt graphics heavy so I was wondering if parrallels and boot camp are like linked. For example if I download League of Legends on Parallels can I then play it in Boot Camp? Or do I have to download it in Boot Camp? I wana spend the least amount of time I can in Windows. So could I download stuff on Parrallels then use it in Bootcamp?

WesRocks360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Once you get bootcamp setup and windows installed, Parallels will boot from the bootcamp partition and you can run as a virtual machine from within OS X. If you are unhappy with the game performance running virtual, you can shutdown the virtual machine, then boot into bootcamp and play the game from there. No need to reinstall the game.

At least you can do all that with VMware, I have never tried Parallels myself.

B

So I can download it in VMware then play it in Bootcamp? I don't mind playing in Bootcamp I just dont wana have to sit in windows as I download it.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
So I can download it in VMware then play it in Bootcamp? I don't mind playing in Bootcamp I just dont wana have to sit in windows as I download it.

If by download you mean install in windows, then yes. I have to assume that Parallels does the same thing. Last I checked Parallels had better graphics support, so look into using that.

I don't play games in windows so I use VMWare.

B

WesRocks360

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
If by download you mean install in windows, then yes. I have to assume that Parallels does the same thing. Last I checked Parallels had better graphics support, so look into using that.

I don't play games in windows so I use VMWare.

B

ok thanks mate. ive got a TON of installing to do tomorrow.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
ouch never mind then... I thought it was too good to be true
:rolleyes:

I wish it was true myself.. I'd love to take advantage of the Fusion drive while playing Windows games. I'm going to experiment with it, but it doesn't look like it will work out. ("Unfusing" the Fusion drive is something I have absolutely no interest in.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.