Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

f12f_icade_jr-500x340.jpg
ThinkGeek has discounted the iCade Jr. Mini Arcade Cabinet for iPhone to only $9.99. That represents 80% off its normal price of $49.99.

The iCade Jr. was originally launched in January 2012 at CES. It represents a smaller iPhone/iPod Touch sized version of the original iPad-sized iCade. Like its big brother, the iCade Jr. connects to your iPhone or iPod Touch using Bluetooth. This model was originally designed to fit the iPhone 4/4S and 4th Generation iPod touch form factors, but is said to work with the iPhone 5 "if you leave the top lid hinged back".

The controller has an arcade stick, four front and rear buttons and works with existing iCade-compatible games.

Article Link: iCade Jr. Arcade Controller Discounted to $9.99

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone own this? Is it worth it?

The picture makes it look awkwardly small... How much of a step up can it really be from on screen controls?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Does anyone own this? Is it worth it?

The picture makes it look awkwardly small... How much of a step up can it really be from on screen controls?

I've played with it before, but don't own one. I do own an icade mobile. Overall, it's "ok". I don't use it that much.

But for $9.99? It's probably worth it if you have any interest in any old retro games that were designed to work with a digital controller (left/right/up/down).

arn

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I guess it's one of these things that you buy it, play with it 30min and then put it somewhere you don't remember. So eventually, it's a waste of $10 ($16 actually, including shipping).

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
I guess it's one of these things that you buy it, play with it 30min and then put it somewhere you don't remember. So eventually, it's a waste of $10 ($16 actually, including shipping).

My thoughts as well.

Makes me wonder if they have stopped making it and this price is just to clean out inventory.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
99% of the compatible games suck

You may haven't played any of them, have you? There are a lot of excellent titles - Metal Slug 1 (OK, it requires landscape mode but is still playable) and the like.

----------

Have just ordered four controllers for me and relatives - had to pay $38 for the shipping here in Finland.

----------

My thoughts as well.

Makes me wonder if they have stopped making it and this price is just to clean out inventory.

While it's not the iCade Jr but the iControlPad, I've played several games thru via it. If you're seriously into gaming, physical controllers are a must.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
For $10 it might be worth it if you like hardware hacking and just want a tiny Bluetooth joystick for fun projects...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I have the large iCade I got for a round $30 when Kohls had a clearance sale. I do use it from time to time. I actually ordered the iCade Jr. just now. Since I upgraded to an iPhone 5 my iPhone 4 is just sitting here. So I can see myself jailbreaking it and putting some fun emulated games on there.

Even without an iPhone in it would be a cool accessory to have on my desk... even in the office. :p For $15 shipped it's not a bad deal at all.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Seems like a waste of money to me for functionality, it's so small, I can't see it being very usable.

Would be a great kitschy little design piece to have on your desk though. You'd surely get some comments from coming into your office and seeing this thing.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I have one. Its good for the novelty factor, but once that dies out (in a few days) its as good as a paper weight. It becomes more of a hassle to put it in to play games. I guess I'm just too impatient, when I do have time to play games on my iPhone, I don't like having set-up time. Just my opinion on this. I also have the Fling joystick for iPad and iPhone. They don't work too well... just play using the screen as intended.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Meh. Waste of money.

Poor support for games. Clearly piss poor sales. Most likely a clearance sale to get rid of the remaining inventory before it vanishes.

Renzatic

Suspended
Meh. Waste of money.

Poor support for games. Clearly piss poor sales. Most likely a clearance sale to get rid of the remaining inventory before it vanishes.

Looking at the list of games, I'd hardly call that piss poor support. If you count all the separate titles in the anthologies, it runs on well over a hundred games easily.

Though I couldn't imagine this being popular for the iPhone. It's better suited to the iPad if you ask me.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Looking at the list of games, I'd hardly call that piss poor support. If you count all the separate titles in the anthologies, it runs on well over a hundred games easily.

Though I couldn't imagine this being popular for the iPhone. It's better suited to the iPad if you ask me.

Out of the list of games on offer, none really stand out as being amazingly good, or in many cases dont seem to really need something like this.

I agree that the iPad version is better suited. For an iPhone/iTouch it seems pretty pointless however.

Renzatic

Suspended
Out of the list of games on offer, none really stand out as being amazingly good, or in many cases dont seem to really need something like this.

I guess it depends on how big you are into older arcade games. Having the Midway and Atari arcade collections in there is about enough to convince me to buy one. Add in Metal Slug 3 and the new Raiden pack that just came out a couple weeks back?

...hell, I'm honestly surprised I haven't picked one up already. I've been toying with the idea of grabbing the 8-Bitty. Think I might go ahead and do it.

Thanks for talking me into spending more money. :mad:

I agree that the iPad version is better suited. For an iPhone/iTouch it seems pretty pointless however.

Yeah, I guess it'd be pretty interesting as a novelty. Though once you get past the "ooh, itty bitty arcade cabinet" aspect, there really aren't any advantages to getting it over the iPad rev.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I had added that and a few other things to my cart but never did anything with the order, two days later I refreshed the window and it was still there, in stock, and still $9.99 even though the product page was showing $14.99, and a few of the other items I had also selected had gone up, but not the line items in my cart. So I ordered it all. Got confirmation of the original amount. We'll see :)

NinjaKid

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Price has gone up again

Now its at 19.29 and remember if your gonna get one it does not work on the Iphone 5 or the new Itouch devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.