Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Nearly Half of Surveyed U.S. Teens Using iPhones, Over One-Third Using iPads

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster today released the results of his semi-annual survey of U.S. teenagers, finding that iPhone and iPad usage remains strong among the 5,200 teens included in the study. According to the report, 48% of teens now report that they are using iPhones, up from 40% just six months ago.
Quote:
We believe this demonstrates that Apple remains the top choice for teens despite more competition from Samsung. Additionally, the survey demonstrated that 62% of teens expect their next phone to be an iPhone, which we believe shows that the iPhone has loyalty amongst teens. In terms of Android, 23% of teens expect their next phone to be an Android device, up from 22% in Fall 2013. We believe that the Samsung Galaxy S3 and eventually the S4 are taking share from other Android devices, but little from Apple in terms of the teen demographic.
In looking at tablets, 51% of teenagers now report using a tablet, up from 44% six months ago. Of those 51%, 63% are using full-size iPads and 5% are using iPad minis, meaning that nearly 35% of teenagers in the survey are currently using Apple tablets.
Quote:
For those teens that expect to purchase a tablet in the next 6 months, 68% said they plan on buying an iPad, thus it appears that Apple should be able to maintain its tablet share. The iPad Mini is beginning to show its impact as the 68% of those who plan to purchase break down into 54% for full sized iPads and 14% for iPad Minis. We would expect the iPad Mini to continue to cannibalize the full sized iPad in our continuation of the survey as we expect the breakdown in sales to reach 50/50 in the March quarter.
Samsung has attempted to play up its appeal with younger consumers through ads portraying the iPhone as uncool, with one ad poking fun at Apple fans waiting in line for the latest gadget by showing one Samsung user in the line actually saving a spot for his parents. But Piper Jaffray's results suggest that the iPhone and iPad brands remain strong with U.S. teenagers, with Apple undoubtedly planning for those users to become lifelong Apple customers as they become locked into the company's app and content ecosystem.

Article Link: Nearly Half of Surveyed U.S. Teens Using iPhones, Over One-Third Using iPads
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Apple is doomed.

/s
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Gauntlet999
macrumors newbie

For now...

I was just in Asia and the vast majority of people we saw were on the Galaxy Note II. Apple needs to step it up on the innovation curve otherwise I think there's a rocky road ahead.
Gauntlet999 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:16 PM   #4
komodrone
Banned

I wasn't allowed to own a tamagotchi until I was 18.
komodrone is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

But 100% of their iMessages are down right now.
Diseal3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet999 View Post
I was just in Asia and the vast majority of people we saw were on the Galaxy Note II. Apple needs to step it up on the innovation curve otherwise I think there's a rocky road ahead.
This topic says the United States I believe.
Peace is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:20 PM   #7
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

So in 10-20 years when these teens become parents, will their kids think Apple is uncool because "that's what my parents used"?

Hmmm.
somethingelsefl is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:21 PM   #8
chumawumba
Banned

simple minded people like simple to use things
chumawumba is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:21 PM   #9
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Also, interesting how the Android tablet jumped from 16% to 24% in the 'plan to purchase'...
paul4339 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:23 PM   #10
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

i just like smooth ui and stability. I've had tons of androids, including the S3. It's great, but i don't feel its "there" yet, although the OS has significantly improved. I will surely go back eventually as I am open minded and flexible.
TV 3
locoboi187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:26 PM   #11
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Proud to be part of both of the teen iPad and iPhone bandwagons And no, there really is a general consensus in the Android vs. iOS field, the only Android users are either the really "nerdy" types (which isn't even entirely true and a lot who own Android phones own iPads which they prefer) or those who went Android because it's cheaper and aren't really enjoying it either.
KieranDotW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

like nokia when i was a teen
Asclepio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:28 PM   #13
a.gomez
macrumors 6502

And they say iOS toys are not for kids.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:29 PM   #14
bawbac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Apple is doomed.

/s
And do you think their parents will buy them their next Apple product?
On minimum wage, teens will see what an Apple product reallt costs once their are out of the house.
bawbac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:30 PM   #15
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes I agree they need to innovate their supply chain and production. Apple is simply way behind as far as getting on all the carriers in Asia and other places that competitors exist in. Heck, they are only just now getting on Tmobile in the US and look how fast they are growing here while Android continues to lose marketshare.

If they step up innovation in how they get their devices into Asia and the rest of the developing world, they can experience the same type of growth and dominance they are seeing in the U.S. The product itself is already innovative compared to the competition. Unless you consider something like "S Voice" innovation.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:30 PM   #16
rebe1
macrumors newbie

Uhuh, you were in "Asia". I think you need to define where in Asia you were at, because Asia is pretty big and consist of many countries.

I just came back from Thailand, and the majority of the people had an iPhone 5 (Yes I was surprised), or iPhone 4/4S. Also noticeably owned were also Galaxy's, but definitely not as much as iPhones. iPads were everywhere. This was also the same in Japan and HongKong, although I'm pretty sure I saw more Galaxy's being owned in HongKong.

BTW, it was great that I can get a nano sim and a week of 1GB 3G usage (ultd. edge speeds afterwards) for my iPhone 5 for equivalent of $7USD, and a second week for another $5-6USD. That's including the nano sim card, at the Bangkok International airport!

Quote:

Last edited by rebe1; Apr 9, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
rebe1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:33 PM   #17
eric89074
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4339 View Post
Also, interesting how the Android tablet jumped from 16% to 24% in the 'plan to purchase'...
Because their parents laughed at them when they asked for an iPad. They'll have to settle for a Kindle Fire.
eric89074 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:37 PM   #18
jayducharme
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingelsefl View Post
So in 10-20 years when these teens become parents, will their kids think Apple is uncool because "that's what my parents used"?
That's a really good point, and one that I hope isn't lost on Apple. As someone else mentioned, flip-phones are now often perceived as the "old geezer" phones. When the teens of today hit their 40s, what innovations will Apple have that will make a new generation of youth happy to be using the same technology as their parents?
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:38 PM   #19
Tech198
macrumors 68040

no one wants a kindle Fire.

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:39 PM   #20
nazaar
macrumors 6502

If I was a teen I'd own all the same Apple products I own now... it's just cooler
nazaar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:41 PM   #21
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Apple is doomed.

/s
It might be. There is one big problem with teens - they become non-teens very quickly. And new generation of teens may prefer "Pepsi". Also, teens represent such a small percentage of the population that any survey about the share of any particular product among them tells a lot about teens but not so much about the product.
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #22
absurdamerica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
It might be. There is one big problem with teens - they become non-teens very quickly. And new generation of teens may prefer "Pepsi". Also, teens represent such a small percentage of the population that any survey about the share of any particular product among them tells a lot about teens but not so much about the product.
Generally when people adopt a brand they stick with it.
absurdamerica is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:47 PM   #23
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
simple minded people like simple to use things
yep, and clever people have better things to do than dick around with their home screen and root to cyanogen mod or wtf you guys call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
That's a really good point, and one that I hope isn't lost on Apple. As someone else mentioned, flip-phones are now often perceived as the "old geezer" phones. When the teens of today hit their 40s, what innovations will Apple have that will make a new generation of youth happy to be using the same technology as their parents?
It is a good point, one that was already supposed to have been happening, see the mocking Samsung commercials with the kids parents in line waiting for the iPhone.

This data flies in the face of that.
gatearray is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:57 PM   #24
cxny
macrumors 6502

remarkable. if the teens revolt look out AAPL!
cxny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Hardly a ground breaking survey when only 5200 teens were surveyed!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
yep, and clever people have better things to do than dick around with their home screen and root to cyanogen mod or wtf you guys call it.

Yup, because thats all Android users do

Ive had my S3 for a year. It took 5 minutes to root and about 15 minutes to get my homescreen the way I wanted it. No customs roms or such like for me.
Dave.UK is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion