Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I bought a Western Digital Live TV the other day, which I am using in combination with my Macbook (ML 10.8.2) and I've finally managed to get it running.

Initially, it wouldn't work due to changes Apple made in SMB sharing. I've finally managed to get it working by using trial versions of Playback and Eyeconnect media servers, which both seem to work flawlessly. However, I would like to know which of those is considered better and more stable as I haven't had a chance to fully test each of them yet. Should I consider alternatives?

skiffx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
What did you end up using after a few months?
I actually like Playback better because it has an ability to sort by date modified.

But overall when playing 720 mkv rips on a wifi WDTV, very often it stops playing content after a few minutes of playback

Last edited:

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Not sure if it will work with your system but I use the free PS3 media server to stream directly to my DLNA compliant TV from my Mac . I found EyeConnect to be unreliable and PS3 Media Server handles a wider range of audio and video files.

I did not know about Playmaker. Will give it a try.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
What did you end up using after a few months?
I actually like Playback better because it has an ability to sort by date modified.

But overall when playing 720 mkv rips on a wifi WDTV, very often it stops playing content after a few minutes of playback

I haven't had such problem. Is it not related to your internet connection? I've decided to stick with Playback and loving it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.