Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Lightning Bolt
macrumors member

Max RAM & Display Choice

Hey guys.

I'm doing my research on what I want/need in my upcoming MacBook Pro.

I'm looking at the non-retina 15" model.

The max amount of RAM is "officially" 8GB. Can anyone confirm whether or not it's possible to up it to 16GB?

Also, has anyone compared the:

"MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display"

with the

"MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display" ?

I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I'll be doing some photography/Lightroom stuff and an RC simulator that will be running on bootcamp/Win7.

Thanks.
Lightning Bolt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:59 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

The 2011 and 2012 MacBook Pros support up to 16 GB of RAM right now, Apple just states wrong facts about the maximum RAM capacities with their models.
Upgrading RAM in MacBooks and MacBook Pros
As for the comparison, probably someone did that a www search away.

Anyway, I had the 1440 x 900 pixel glossy display once and it was quite a low resolution for such a big display. If I would get another 15" MBP (I now have a 17" MBP with enough pixels), I would definitely take the 1680 x 1050 High Res display, but I also would take the Anti-Glare one, but that is my personal preference. The gloss on those babies is just too much for my taste.

Btw, I edit video using Avid Media Composer (thus I need screen real estate) and also use Photoshop and After Effects for my deeds. 1440 x 900 pixel would be not enough to properly use them on a daily basis.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Also, has anyone compared the:

"MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display"

with the

"MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display" ?
I have the lower resolution but wish I had the hi-res display. I bought my MBP used when it was 3 months old, great deal so couldn't be too choosy. It's not too much of a problem when at home since I have a 23" ACD for desktop use. That does great for photo editing and other large screen tasks.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
kohlson
macrumors regular

I had a 1440 display in a MBP for several years, and while good, I always felt the need for more room. I have the 1650 display now, and now feel that if I can do everything I need to do on the laptop. I use a 24-inch display for much of the time, but am otherwise productive without it.
Much more difficult with the lower res model. App controls, frames and generally working with multiple apps just too hard, at least for me.
OWC, Crucial, Patriot all have 16GB kits for these Macs for well under $100.
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:42 PM   #5
designs216
macrumors 65816

I think the current cMBP is a good choice. Who knows if the non-retina machine will be a choice post-2012. BTW, the 2012 MBP supports 16GB RAM. For me, I wanted the option of being able to use the machine in environments where lighting was not controlled so I went with the HR antiglare. This might not be a concern if you know it will always be docked or a dark room.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:35 AM   #6
Lightning Bolt
macrumors member

Thanks guys! Great info.

I just want to make sure I won't void any part of the AppleCare warranty by not only installing RAM purchased elsewhere, but having (2) 8 Gig modules when they "officially" say 8GB is the max.

I should also add that I plan to use my HP w2207 widescreen flat panel 70-80% of the time with the help of a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. Then I was going to get a nice external keyboard and just keep my Macbook closed.

The main reason I thought I'd get 16GB of RAM is that I want to run a windows application (realflight 6.5 http://www.realflight.com/system-reqs.html) and thought I could run it in parallels (keeping OS-X running).

Otherwise, I'd likely have to boot into Win7 to use the SIM and then re-boot into OS-X when I'm done. Not a huge deal but sometimes I use the SIM several times a day and I'd hate to have to re-boot that often.

As far as the screen, I will mainly be using the Macbook in a slightly darkened room (and mostly using the HP monitor) so I'm not quite as concerned with the glare as I am the resolution. I wish I could see both in person but I don't think my local Apple store has any high res models on display. They did have the anti-glare/matte screen however that anti-glare surface made it hard to compare the res.

Do you guys have anything else to add?

-Dave

Last edited by Lightning Bolt; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:39 AM   #7
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bolt View Post
Thanks guys! Great info.

I just want to make sure I won't void any part of the AppleCare warranty by not only installing RAM purchased elsewhere, but having (2) 8 Gig modules when they "officially" say 8GB is the max.
Upgrading RAM does not void the warranty, and in the case, you need to send your Mac in, just put in the original RAM, as sometimes Apple might replace it itself and you get your Mac back with the amount of RAM you bought it with.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:49 AM   #8
Lightning Bolt
macrumors member

That's good to know. Thanks!

What brand of RAM do you recommend? I think I added Crucial to this Power Mac but that was about 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Upgrading RAM does not void the warranty, and in the case, you need to send your Mac in, just put in the original RAM, as sometimes Apple might replace it itself and you get your Mac back with the amount of RAM you bought it with.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice