Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buenos Aires

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi, currently I own a 2011 macbook pro 15" 2.2 ghz quad core i7 which I love but I don't use as a laptop. I have it connected to an external monitor with apple keyboard and mouse.
I'm thinking of selling it to buy a 2012 mac mini 2.6 quad i7 and use the extra cash to buy an ipad
My question is if I'll notice a downgrade as regards graphics. I use my mac for audio post production for short films. My concern is if the mini will handle my audio software (while reading hd video at the same time) Cpu-wise the 2.6 ivy bridge will definetly be better than my 2.2 sandy.
Would you consider this move an upgrade??
I'll be installing an ssd to the mini for OSX saving the original drive for my media and work.
I'll appreciate any feedback from mac mini users! Thanks

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
The FUD spread around the GPU of the 2012 mini is .. well, simply that.
It may not be top of its class, but it's still a decent performer. It's not made of cheese. It's not worse than a GPU from 3 years ago.

Yes, you can play video while using audio software! You can drive two external monitors. (Some say three, but that might be pushing it.) You can play ... games!! :eek:

OK, if you're doing video rendering or protein molecule folding, then it's going to be 3 times slower than a new dedicated GPU -- but it's not going to collapse in a heap of not coping.

The i7 CPU is massively powerful, you're not going to be short on power. I use Logic and it's not remotely troubled by it. All those cores means it's not going to choke for anything.

Buenos Aires

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
The FUD spread around the GPU of the 2012 mini is .. well, simply that.
It may not be top of its class, but it's still a decent performer. It's not made of cheese. It's not worse than a GPU from 3 years ago.

Yes, you can play video while using audio software! You can drive two external monitors. (Some say three, but that might be pushing it.) You can play ... games!! :eek:

OK, if you're doing video rendering or protein molecule folding, then it's going to be 3 times slower than a new dedicated GPU -- but it's not going to collapse in a heap of not coping.

The i7 CPU is massively powerful, you're not going to be short on power. I use Logic and it's not remotely troubled by it. All those cores means it's not going to choke for anything.

What's your setup? Are you using a mini,
I use both logic and pro tools. With plugin heavy sessions I've already have some trouble with my current i7..
Anyone using 2012 macmini for audio?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I've got the 2.6 i7 mini with Fusion drive and 16Gb RAM. I do a variety of things with it: Logic, Finale, Creative Suite, and can have them all on the go at the same time, with varying loads.

If you're into benchmarks, the mini beats many recent quad-core Pros. There are always ways to overload any machine, but I don't think anyone needs to worry about 2012 being "a step back" in any way.

Buenos Aires

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, I'll be making the move to the mini , adding 16 gb of ram and maybe an ATD if a new revision comes out in 2013 :)

Matt McHeck

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I switched to the 2012 mini 2.6 from a late 2008 MPB 2,53. I am a professional Audio Producer. An average PT session with my MBP took my CPU to around 70-90% usage, all buffers set to maximum and some drops in playback every now and then, especially with more than two oder three instances of Drumagog running.
Same session with the mini: 12-14%. But honestly I can't figure your current MBP couldn't deal with the load in nearly the same way... It seems to me the bottle neck is (or will be) the harddrive, but with SSD or FD I can't see any problems.

*edit*
I would try and put at least current projects that you are working on on to the SSD as well. This will give you a massive boost in performance, especially if you need to read and write large files like HD audio or movie files.

Last edited:

Buenos Aires

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
It's grate to have feedback from users who use their mac for the same purpose . I really apreciate your answers

PS: My current setup is a beast, I occasionaly encounter some trouble when using hungry plugins such as omnisphere. But 99% of the time it handles everything I throw into it... I switching because I prefer working in a desktop setup. Not because the 2.2 i7 isnt powerful enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.