Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unbelievable99

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have read all apple support manuals and help on battery cycles, and 'understanding what a battery cycle is' articles/support pages, but I still can't quite understand what it is?

Is a cycle when you use all of the power then recharge it again? Does that count as 1 cycle? If so, because apple promises 1000 cycles in a macbook pro, is it better to keep it on charge for most of the time (but still using raw power every 2-3 days) to save battery cycles and therefore make your battery last longer?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have read all apple support manuals and help on battery cycles, and 'understanding what a battery cycle is' articles/support pages, but I still can't quite understand what it is?

Is a cycle when you use all of the power then recharge it again? Does that count as 1 cycle? If so, because apple promises 1000 cycles in a macbook pro, is it better to keep it on charge for most of the time (but still using raw power every 2-3 days) to save battery cycles and therefore make your battery last longer?

Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the following link. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Also, you can ask several battery-related questions in one thread. There's no need to start a new thread for each question on the same topic.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.