Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
1) Everyone's #1 feature: Retina

2) 1GB of RAM. This is a necessity for users that like to open a few safari tabs at a time.

Obviously, there would be other things that would be great like a better processor (which would be required for the retina display anyway). I'm dying to get a mini, but those two things are a requirement at this point for me. Anyone else holding out for the same?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
In due time, my friend. In due time.

I might go iPad mini in the future once my iPad 2 lives a long life, and those features would certainly make it more appealing. Of course by the time I'm done with my current iPad, there may be several iterations of the mini inevitably beyond what you've mentioned.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
It's a good thing you listed those two things, I don't think they have been brought up in any other posts.

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? Lighten up. This is a forum, this is what happens here. Hope you have a better rest of your day :)

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? Lighten up. This is a forum, this is what happens here. Hope you have a better rest of your day :)

No need to be so condescending. It isn't like he insulted you in any way. I don't usually care if there are redundant threads on a forum. But come on? Retina? Literally 12 threads about it on the front page right now.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011

2) 1GB of RAM. This is a necessity for users that like to open a few safari tabs at a time.

Obviously, there would be other things that would be great like a better processor (which would be required for the retina display anyway). I'm dying to get a mini, but those two things are a requirement at this point for me. Anyone else holding out for the same?

Don't worry about what people are saying about starting this thread...you can always tell the people with no life that hang out all day on here, they think they have a right to tell people what to talk about, ON A FORUM habahaha. All forum communities have people like this, they are unknowingly part of the forum "ecosystem" like a moderator or troll...best to ignore...

I was waiting for the same things on the mini as you, and holding out. I just so happen ran into an apple store that had a new shipment of minis and bought one for my girlfriend for Christmas and one to maybe sell on Craigslist...well I decided to open one and check it out compared to my iPad 4...I NEVER TOUCHED THE IPAD 4 AGAIN, other than to take off the case and return to best buy...

My point is, it's a VERY good tablet. The next version will be better, but using this doesn't feel it's lacking. I suggest you pick one up, use it, if you dont like return. If you keep it, worse case you sell the mini for a very minimal loss and get the mini 2...I'm telling you, this thing is fantastic

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
While you guys are waiting for the "perfect" mini, I'm enjoying the heck out of mine. We go through these same discussions with every new device. "I would get it except for__________(fill in the blank)."

I just go ahead buy it and enjoy it while those that are waiting can "only" wait and post "how it should be done".

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Retina isn't needed, it's perfectly fine as it is. Retina would make it thicker and heavier which defeats the point. Can't say I ever found the ram an issue with my iPad 2, will see how the mini fares

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I'm with you OP. Retina is important to me too. I find small fonts benefit the most from retina. The smaller the screen, the more important is retina. My work-around is to use the device in landscape and a lot of zooming/panning when needed.

I don't get the argument about heavier and thicker. When the iPad went retina, it was 0.8 mm thicker. And 2 ounces heavier. When the iPod went retina, it actually got thinner and lighter. And the (retina) iPhone 5 is thinner and lighter than the (non-retina) iPhone 3.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
While you guys are waiting for the "perfect" mini, I'm enjoying the heck out of mine. We go through these same discussions with every new device. "I would get it except for__________(fill in the blank)."

I just go ahead buy it and enjoy it while those that are waiting can "only" wait and post "how it should be done".

Probably more folks than not already have an ipad to tide them over till the perfect one so to speak or at least one that meets their satisfaction arrives.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
No need to be so condescending. It isn't like he insulted you in any way. I don't usually care if there are redundant threads on a forum. But come on? Retina? Literally 12 threads about it on the front page right now.
I wasn't trying to be condescending, I was just having some fun with him/her. I would also like to point out that in my post I mentioned that the ram was also important and that I wasn't only focused on the retina display.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
A higher resolution screen is always welcomed to me, but the mini's screen is more than adequate. As for the RAM, I haven't had any issues yet, and never did with my iPad 2.

The thing with Apple products is that they don't need the latest/fastest hardware to perform effortlessly.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010

I agree to an extent but since I already have an ipad 3, I can wait ;p

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
We go through these same discussions with every new device. "I would get it except for__________(fill in the blank)." I just go ahead buy it and enjoy it while those that are waiting can "only" wait and post "how it should be done".

I don't think this is true. When the iPad 3 came out, it was an obvious winner. At least, it was to me.

Sure, people quibbled about the heat, the yellow screens (imaginary and real), and the old processor. But, it was so clearly superior to the 1 or 2, I don't think there was any question in most minds that this was a worthwhile purchase, whatever their complaints.

The Mini is a different beast, in my opinion. The dpi is inferior to other tablets at that size, and the worst in the entire idevice lineup. The processor remains at least two years older than the newest generation of the iPad. The RAM is far less than the newest generation of the iPad. Does it matter? When your PDFs take a long time to render, it sure does. And, when you cannot read PDFs well on it (I tested many of mine and found it quite difficult, but I work a lot in Asian characters, and they are a lot more complex than the English alphabet), it sure does.

If I were in the market for a Mini, I'd definitely wait another generation. If Apple's past is any guide to its future, you can expect the second generation to be a much better product. Just look at the iPad 2. They are still selling it! The iPad 1 is gone. Then again, so is the 3 :(

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA

No and No!

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Retina isn't needed, it's perfectly fine as it is. Retina would make it thicker and heavier which defeats the point. Can't say I ever found the ram an issue with my iPad 2, will see how the mini fares

People always say "this is needed" until they actually use it.

Also saying that a Retina display would make the iPad Mini fatter is just premature. IGZO display and smaller, more efficient processors and batteries all have to be taken into account.

Highly doubt you never ran to a single RAM problem on the iPad 2. The iPad 2 is a good device but far from being problem free.

----------

Not everyone buys a new Apple product every year like some sort of hobby.

Most people actually buy a product and consider it an investment, use it for a long time, and then replace it when it no longer can meet their needs.

Apple fanboys continually just throw money to Apple and fit your above description. It seems they can never be satisfied with the newest and latest as they need to upgrade every single time.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Not everyone buys a new Apple product every year like some sort of hobby.

Most people actually buy a product and consider it an investment, use it for a long time, and then replace it when it no longer can meet their needs.

Apple fanboys continually just throw money to Apple and fit your above description. It seems they can never be satisfied with the newest and latest as they need to upgrade every single time.

I do buy a new phone every year but I'm far from an Apple fanboy. In fact until the first iPhone, I had never owned an Apple product. Up to that point I had tried every smart phone. The iPhone was and still is the best out there. The same with the iPad. On the other hand I would never own a Mac. I buy the latest and greatest because I can. If somebody comes to market with a smartphone or pad that meets my needs better I'll be the first to jump ship. Until then, in your eyes I guess I'll be the 69 yo fanboy. :)

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
The current iteration of Foreflight can tax the Mini when zooming around the charts.

The 5 handles the version fine.

So the new processor isuch better for that and more ram certainly helps too.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Sure, people quibbled about the heat, the yellow screens (imaginary and real), and the old processor. But, it was so clearly superior to the 1 or 2, I don't think there was any question in most minds that this was a worthwhile purchase, whatever their complaints.

Funny, it seemed clear to me for the same reasons that apple had overeached with the 3, and I decided to pass on this iteration. The 4 offered little of additional interest. If the 5 reflects style and design improvements of the mini it could be very exciting. The future of the full size ipad comes down to its weight.

----------

The dpi is inferior to other tablets at that size, and the worst in the entire idevice lineup. The processor remains at least two years older than the newest generation of the iPad. The RAM is far less than the newest generation of the iPad.

Actually, the mini has a higher dpi than than the ipad2

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You don't "need" retina, 1GB RAM or even an iPad mini. I open multiple tabs on mine all the time. No problems. Retina isn't that big of a deal. It's awesome but doesn't get in the way of me enjoying it. You could keep waiting for 3D, 4D, holographic, 1TB RAM, etc. but I will be enjoying the heck out of mine.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My mini opens up a multiple tabs and the screen is fine. The issue with a retina mini is
1. Cost, the display will drive up the cost on what is already an expensive tablet.
2. CPU/GPU, the retina screen will need the newer A5x or A6

3. Battery because of the cpu upgrade the battery will need to be increased

4. Larger battery means larger more expensive mini.

I'm not saying we'll not see a mini but rather there may be sacrifices like price size and weight which I'm not really all jazzed up to embrace. The mini is a great 7" tablet as it is

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Funny, it seemed clear to me for the same reasons that apple had overeached with the 3, and I decided to pass on this iteration. The 4 offered little of additional interest. If the 5 reflects style and design improvements of the mini it could be very exciting. The future of the full size ipad comes down to its weight.
Funny. The 3 seemed like an obvious choice to me at the time and it remains a great device. The 4 is clearly an improvement, but nothing worth selling the 3 and upgrading for.

Actually, the mini has a higher dpi than than the ipad2
Yep. You are correct. 163 for the Mini and 132 for the iPad 2. I didn't realize just how bad the iPad 2 screen was. I mean, I knew it even at the time I bought it, because I had the iPad 1, but seeing the numbers is a whole other thing. Ouch. I'm really not willing to go backwards on the display, but I understand why some people would.

As you said, the iPad 5 will be exciting if they can make significant improvements to the body. I actually prefer the larger bezel, though, so I am not sure if I will like what I see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.