Apple Reaches Podcasting Milestone with 1 Billion Subscriptions - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reaches Podcasting Milestone with 1 Billion Subscriptions

According the Podcasts section of the iTunes Store, Apple has just hit a milestone of one billion Podcast subscriptions. Originally introduced in 2005, Podcasts allow both individuals and major companies to broadcast episodic radio-style shows. Apple offers thousands of different Podcasts that are available via iTunes or its Podcasts iOS app [App Store].

Quote:
In honor of the one billion milestone, Apple has highlighted a number of its most popular podcasts over the years in a new iTunes section which offers up a number of classic Podcasts alongside New and Noteworthy content.

From comedy to hard new to sports to innovative educational content and so much more, podcasting has transformed the global media landscape. Podcasts on iTunes launched in the summer of 2005 and since then, we've seen countless episodes downloaded and streamed. But the heart of podcasting is finding your favorite voices in this exciting field and subscribing to the best ones. To celebrate reaching 1 billion podcast subscribers, we're highlighting some of the most popular podcasts of all time, as well as a collection of captivating new shows.
Apple told Macworld that its billion subscriptions are spread across 250,000 unique podcasts in more than 100 languages, with more than eight million episodes published to date.

The new celebratory section includes popular Podcasts like This American Life, TEDTalks, 60 Minutes, and Happy Tree Friends, among others.

Article Link: Apple Reaches Podcasting Milestone with 1 Billion Subscriptions
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2
BRussell
macrumors member

Your title really should say a billion subscriptions, not a billion subscribers.
BRussell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Aidyn's X
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Your title really should say a billion subscriptions, not a billion subscribers.
Good point
Aidyn's X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:05 PM   #4
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Fixed, thanks for the suggestion.
jclo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:13 PM   #5
fongkahchun86
macrumors newbie

Isn't Apple Keynotes one of the top podcast?
fongkahchun86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Woah, it took THIS long?! I remember when podcasts were the thing, and it was so COOL when you could start doing chapters and all that nice stuff in them.

I don't think they're as big as they were a few years ago. I still download them, but they were bigger before smartphone were.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Georgij
macrumors regular

How is Happy Tree Friends in Classics?
Georgij is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:21 PM   #8
FFArchitect
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Woah, it took THIS long?!
What were you expecting?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgij View Post
How is Happy Tree Friends in Classics?
It was one of the first hit animated podcasts. We're talking iPod Video (5th generation) days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFArchitect View Post
What were you expecting?
Well, it just seems like it took so long considering they've been an official thing since 2004. 1 billion iOS apps were downloaded by 2009.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Garrod
macrumors member

Are Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington being recognised as part of this?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrod View Post
Are Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington being recognised as part of this?
Nope. Not in the US store anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Some guy
macrumors member

Some guy is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Cole Slaw
macrumors 6502

Wonder how long Apple will have really any degree of enthusiasm for pod casting considering (as far as I know) they don't make any money from it.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:41 PM   #14
WisdomSeed
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately or me,

My favorite podcast seems to have disappeared in the last few months. There is on longer any 'Most Emailed Stories' from NPR. Having stories from 'All Things Considered' and 'Morning Edition' were much, much better than trying to stream them through the app. Also they no longer offer 'Breakin it Down' movie reviews, but I find Film State a very good replacement.

But what I liked about the NPR Podcasts is that there were new podcasts everyday, great for the commute.

Sigh....
WisdomSeed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Trius
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, it just seems like it took so long considering they've been an official thing since 2004. 1 billion iOS apps were downloaded by 2009.
True, but remember, it's SUBSCRIPTIONS, not individual downloads.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:58 PM   #16
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
From comedy to hard new to sports
Maybe I'm getting old, but what the hell is "hard new"?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:58 PM   #17
WisdomSeed
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Woah, it took THIS long?! I remember when podcasts were the thing, and it was so COOL when you could start doing chapters and all that nice stuff in them.

I don't think they're as big as they were a few years ago. I still download them, but they were bigger before smartphone were.
It only stands to reason, there are six iPhones in my family and I am the only one who enjoys podcasts. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to get anyone to even adventure towards them. Youtube kinda gets in the way.
WisdomSeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:00 PM   #18
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
True, I'd be surprised if 1/7th of the world even owns Apple devices.
KieranDotW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:10 PM   #19
MacSawdust
macrumors member

More Tiki Bar!!!!

More Lala!!!
MacSawdust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:23 PM   #20
Zyphras
Banned

Podcasts. For some things it's pretty 2005-y with the advent of YouTube. But for "pure radio" such as news/current affairs and the likes Marc Maron, it's still a pretty great phenomenon though.
Zyphras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
hauntvictim
macrumors member

I love podcasts!! They are a free way to enjoy your favorite artists and I think they are woefully under looked.
hauntvictim is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:43 PM   #22
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntvictim View Post
I love podcasts!! They are a free way to enjoy your favorite artists and I think they are woefully under looked.
Well, a billion subscriptions on iOS alone doesn't seem that overlooked to me
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:48 PM   #23
lherman
macrumors newbie

"1 billion"

along the lines of the 1 billion subscriptions not subscribers, the article also says that users have subscribed to 1 billion podcasts. i don't think there are that many podcasts! i know it's semantic
lherman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:50 PM   #24
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

The funny thing is that there are probably about that many unsubscriptions. Having said that, there are really good podcasts out there.
swingerofbirch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:57 PM   #25
osaga
macrumors 6502

If iTunes were web based, and if it did a better job of suggesting other radio shows you might like, it would be 5 billion. No one is burning CD's or plugging their iphone in any more. But Apple does what they do.
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion