Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:59 PM   #1
DarrenUK
macrumors regular

Best backup/sync software?

I am using time machine on my new iMac for a general backup.

On my old windows PC I used to manually copy music photos and videos to an external NAS drive weekly (or whenever i remembered) as a back up. Also once on there I could watch the videos and view the photos on my iPad.

Now I am trying to do things properly and am looking for the best software to do this for me. Something that will save me the hassle of manually dragging folders across to an external drive.

Any good recommendations?
DarrenUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:00 PM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

You are looking for a windows solution or?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I use Time Machine (incremental backups) and Carbon Copy Cloner (bootable, readable backups)

Gives me the best of both worlds when it comes to backing up
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:16 PM   #4
DarrenUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
You are looking for a windows solution or?
No, software for iMac.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I use Time Machine (incremental backups) and Carbon Copy Cloner (bootable, readable backups)

Gives me the best of both worlds when it comes to backing up
"Readable backups" does that mean that the files (videos, photos, music etc) will be able to be seen/used on my iPad?

Does the carbon copy cloner give a choice to which folders/files can be copied to the external hard drive? It is really only photos, music and videos I want to back up.

Thanks.
DarrenUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:17 PM   #5
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenUK View Post
No, software for iMac.
Gotcha, well CCC is a good option in addition to time machine, as mentioned already.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenUK View Post
No, software for iMac.

----------

"Readable backups" does that mean that the files (videos, photos, music etc) will be able to be seen/used on my iPad?

Does the carbon copy cloner give a choice to which folders/files can be copied to the external hard drive? It is really only photos, music and videos I want to back up.

Thanks.
You can choose what to backup with CCC. Super duper is another back up solution similar to CCC.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
costabunny
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
personally I use an rsync script that runs daily to copy my stuff to the external disk (which is mounted via a samba share on mum's windows laptop, and she has a program to copy her stuff to my external in a similar manner). I am anal and have a weekly rsync that copies to a remote server over ssh also.

For local simple software I too have to add a recommendation for Carbon Copy Cloner. Its pretty flexible.

On a windows host AllWaySync is a good alternative that I have been using for many years. This is what I setup on mum's laptop and its pretty simple.

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store