Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Irishman
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
The "Dead Island" for Mac Discussion Thread

So, I can't be the only Mac user who wants to be able to play this game natively, without wineskin ports, without Bootcamp or Windows.

Let's discuss it!

Heard any development rumors? Post them here!

Want to share how your excitement for the game has been stoked by either seeing it on another platform, playing it on another platform, or watching web playthroughs?

This is the place for you.

For me, I watched some HD playthroughs on Youtube, and loved the dynamics of the game.

See this one first, and you'll be hooked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaV7U8e3P9k

But, even before that, I think many of us were sucked in by that slow-motion, backwards-playing trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

Last edited by Irishman; Dec 31, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
TheGreatWumpus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vermont
 
Send a message via AIM to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Skype™ to TheGreatWumpus
I played through this in bootcamp when it came out, great fun.

I'd love to see a Mac port, but I really doubt it would ever happen. Fairly niche, unique, and not to mention ultra-violent. I know for a fact one Mac porting house has already passed up on porting this. And I doubt the others are going to pick it up.

We can dream though.
__________________
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive
TheGreatWumpus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatWumpus View Post
I played through this in bootcamp when it came out, great fun.

I'd love to see a Mac port, but I really doubt it would ever happen. Fairly niche, unique, and not to mention ultra-violent. I know for a fact one Mac porting house has already passed up on porting this. And I doubt the others are going to pick it up.

We can dream though.
Who passed up? Do you recall?

As for it being too niche, I disagree. We have "Left 4 Dead" 1 and 2 for the Mac, just as violent and niche as "Dead Island".

To my eye, "Dead Island" is just updated visually.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4
TheGreatWumpus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vermont
 
Send a message via AIM to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Skype™ to TheGreatWumpus
Haha, of course I know. I'm not saying because its confidential.

Dead Island is significantly more violent than left 4 dead (1 or 2) mostly because of how visceral and intense it is to (often) slowly dismember the zombie hordes. Guns are rare as you would know if you've played the game, its almost exclusively melee based. Both are rather violent yes, but having played L4D 1 & 2, and also Dead Island, I find Dead Island far more violent in general.

By niche I mean, its open world rpg/slash/shooty zombie slaughter. We don't have anything like that on the Mac. L4D 1 & 2 are shooters, which are common everywhere. A Zombie shooter, but still a shooter.
__________________
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive
TheGreatWumpus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatWumpus View Post
Haha, of course I know. I'm not saying because its confidential.

Dead Island is significantly more violent than left 4 dead (1 or 2) mostly because of how visceral and intense it is to (often) slowly dismember the zombie hordes. Guns are rare as you would know if you've played the game, its almost exclusively melee based. Both are rather violent yes, but having played L4D 1 & 2, and also Dead Island, I find Dead Island far more violent in general.

By niche I mean, its open world rpg/slash/shooty zombie slaughter. We don't have anything like that on the Mac. L4D 1 & 2 are shooters, which are common everywhere. A Zombie shooter, but still a shooter.
I guess I'm the only one who prefers to play L4D2 with a katana or ax.

Aspyr? Feral? The list is getting shorter quickly.

Also, I'm sure I'm forgetting some porters who don't publish.

What is the landscape in Mac game porters and publishers? Who am I missing?
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Dead Island : Riptide will be out in a few months, doubt you'll ever see a native mac port. Maybe the sequel will be however.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Velociround
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Dead Island available for download for Mac

Just so you guys know, Dead Island has just appeared on my Mac games list on Steam, and I'm downloading the game now. I don't know if it works, thought. It seems there are some DirectX folders in it.
Velociround is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Huntn
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociround View Post
Just so you guys know, Dead Island has just appeared on my Mac games list on Steam, and I'm downloading the game now. I don't know if it works, thought. It seems there are some DirectX folders in it.
I see no Dead Island listed in the Steam store with a Mac icon next to it, only Windows...


For playing Dead Isand and avoiding Windows, best bet is Xbox...
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Velociround
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I see no Dead Island listed in the Steam store with a Mac icon next to it, only Windows...

For playing Dead Isand and avoiding Windows, best bet is Xbox...
It does not show Mac support on the store page, but Steam is incorrectly (as I just found out by downloading it) showing it on the Mac games library.

A coworker found this out and told the other guys here at work, we wasted like an hour working waiting while the game downloaded, just to find out it doesn't actually open ("missing game executable"). We could have spent this time playing Dead Island on bootcamp instead!
Velociround is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 02:56 AM   #10
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
It's coming.... Soon.


http://steamdb.info/app/91310/#section_history
JordanNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:24 AM   #11
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNZ View Post
Wow. That will be cool.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 09:38 AM   #12
nargot
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
just downloaded it on steam, it came online today

update: does not work "missing executable"
i guess it will be working soon
__________________
12" g4 iBook

Last edited by nargot; Oct 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
nargot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nargot View Post
just downloaded it on steam, it came online today

update: does not work "missing executable"
i guess it will be working soon
Um, what? The steam store still shows "Dead Island" as Windows only.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 06:40 PM   #14
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Um, what? The steam store still shows "Dead Island" as Windows only.
And it will until it's actually released for OSX.

Although if you already own the windows version, it'll probably show up in your mac library. Just no executables yet....

Can't be far away though
JordanNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNZ View Post
And it will until it's actually released for OSX.

Although if you already own the windows version, it'll probably show up in your mac library. Just no executables yet....

Can't be far away though
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why precisely are you concluding that the Mac version can't be far away?
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 06:30 AM   #16
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why precisely are you concluding that the Mac version can't be far away?
Have a look at the Steam DB history here.. Especially over the last week

http://steamdb.info/app/91310/#section_history
JordanNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:45 AM   #17
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNZ View Post
Have a look at the Steam DB history here.. Especially over the last week

http://steamdb.info/app/91310/#section_history
So, as of 7 days ago, they're testing OSX code.

Last edited by Irishman; Oct 18, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:58 AM   #18
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
So, as of 7 days ago, they're testing OSX code.
On Steam... It only gets uploaded there when it's out of private beta. It's not going to be too far away.
JordanNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 08:01 AM   #19
Irishman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNZ View Post
On Steam... It only gets uploaded there when it's out of private beta. It's not going to be too far away.
Good to know.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 06:29 AM   #20
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
I noticed it's been about a month since the last post to this thread and still no Steamplay for Dead Island.

It is still showing up as a Mac game in my library though.

I hope this is still really going to happen - if it ever was going to really happen.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 07:54 AM   #21
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNZ View Post
On Steam... It only gets uploaded there when it's out of private beta. It's not going to be too far away.
Not true, it could mean they are testing alpha 1 and have months of testing left, or they are just seeing if a Mac version is feasible and are running a basic test app

All the database logs mean is a Mac app has been uploaded but you can't tell anything else about timing or status really.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 08:33 AM   #22
Messineo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I really hope this happens - I would love to play "Dead Island"!
Messineo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:10 AM   #23
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
Not true, it could mean they are testing alpha 1 and have months of testing left, or they are just seeing if a Mac version is feasible and are running a basic test app

All the database logs mean is a Mac app has been uploaded but you can't tell anything else about timing or status really.

Edwin
I was being a little too hopeful..
Now, Edwin... When is Tomb Raider being released?


Hopefully Dead Island does end up coming out... And in the near future.
JordanNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:32 PM   #24
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNZ View Post
I was being a little too hopeful..
Now, Edwin... When is Tomb Raider being released?
PM me, I might have something that might interest you next week (Not Tomb Raider being released but still pretty cool)

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:04 PM   #25
Zellio
macrumors 6502a
 
Zellio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
You really shouldn't dream about awful games.
__________________
2012 iMac i7,16 gb,680mx/2009 iMac I5/27" ACD
2012 13" MacBook Retina,8 gb,256 ssd/2010 11.6" MacBook Air
iPad Air/iPad Mini Retina/CoreDuo MacMini/iMac G3/G4/Apple Tv 1,3/iPod Nano 6/iPod 5.5 80
Zellio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "I just ordered/bought/got my new/refurb Mac Pro" thread [merged] Einz Mac Pro 2173 Nov 6, 2014 03:45 PM
OS X: Dead Island on Steam - PC progress to Mac? sonicrobby Mac and PC Games 8 Apr 5, 2014 10:47 PM
OS X: Dead Island GOTY for Mac now on Steam! Dirtyharry50 Mac and PC Games 26 Apr 4, 2014 11:14 AM
Another RAM-Buying Thread - NewEgg's "Mac Compatible" vs. Not? astrostu MacBook Pro 6 Nov 26, 2012 02:29 PM
Has anyone tried "Killing Floor" or "Left 4 Dead 2"on MBA? Sid-R MacBook Air 6 Aug 28, 2012 08:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC