Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
dsakaki
macrumors newbie

How to reset MacBook Air SMC with external keyboard

Hello all,

I am looking for some help in resetting my Macbook Air SMC. There is a problem though, as the built in keyboard is not functioning and I am relying on an external keyboard.

The keyboard was working with the exception of the spacebar and the delete key for awhile, but now the only key that works is the power button.

Do you have any suggestions to get the keyboard working so I can perform a SMC reset or is there a way to do the reset without using the built-in keyboard?

Thank you very much for any advice.

David
dsakaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

You are going to need one of those two keyboards fully functioning to do this. Do you have friend maybe with an old PC USB KB you could borrow. That would do the trick.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:34 AM   #3
dsakaki
macrumors newbie

Thank you Weasel for the input.

The USB and Bluetooth Keyboard idea did not work as it has to be the built in keyboard for the command to reset and those keys are not working.

The computer was water damaged, so I really don't care about voiding any warranty.

I also tried a manual battery reset. I disconnected the battery waited for a bit then plugged it in again. Nothing seemed to happen. Is there something supposed to alert you that a reset occurred? Also, nothing was fixed. There is still no led on the power plug, the keyboard still does not work at all and the fan keeps running at high speed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

David
dsakaki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

the only way is if you had another topcase/keyboard to plug in to reset the SMC, it has to use the built in one. the only other way around it is if it was brought into an Apple store authorized service provider when they hook it up to the AST diagnostics there is an option to reset SMC and NVRAM which doesnt need theinternal keyboard working...so that is an option if you have either close by, honestly they shouldnt charge for that diagnostic or procedure takes less then 5 minutes
AppleNewton is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air