Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:46 AM   #1
smooshy
macrumors newbie

Recording on ibook

Hi everyone,
I got a new ibook last week, and I'm loving it so far.. taking me a while to figure out a few things though.

I keep hearing about the built-in mic and how you can voice record straight to the hard drive. How do you do this? I can't seem to find a utility to do this. Also, if I were recording a lecture at school, is the mic good enough quality to pick it up? Will using it kill the battery really fast? Also, if the ibook goes to sleep because I don't touch it for a couple of minutes, will the mic stop recording?

Thanks for your help!
smooshy is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 01:19 AM   #2
iEdd
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to iEdd
You can use many apps, I like Audacity, which is free across platforms
iEdd is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 01:32 AM   #3
WillMak
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooshy
Hi everyone,
I got a new ibook last week, and I'm loving it so far.. taking me a while to figure out a few things though.

I keep hearing about the built-in mic and how you can voice record straight to the hard drive. How do you do this? I can't seem to find a utility to do this. Also, if I were recording a lecture at school, is the mic good enough quality to pick it up? Will using it kill the battery really fast? Also, if the ibook goes to sleep because I don't touch it for a couple of minutes, will the mic stop recording?

Thanks for your help!
use garage band.
WillMak is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 02:01 AM   #4
.:*Robot Boy*:.
macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what the mic in the iBook is like, but the mic in my PowerBook is useless! The source material is always obscured by internal noises like the fan, key presses, the hard drive, etc

As far as recording, use Garageband or Audacity. Your iBook shouldn't go to sleep while recording. Your battery life will take a hit (not sure how big though) due to the fact that the audio has to be constantly written to disk.
.:*Robot Boy*:. is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 02:17 AM   #5
Xeem
macrumors 6502a

For software, Wiretap Pro is only $19 and is very well reviewed.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

If you want more inputs, I recommend the Creative Sound Blaster MP3+. It has optical in/out, RCA in/out, and mic in/headphone out. It is only stereo (no 5.1 despite the optical SPDIF), but a pretty good solution if you want to use another microphone.
http://us.creative.com/products/prod...07&product=154
Old Sep 28, 2005, 02:23 AM   #6
Eluon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Eluon
i use my internal mic on my ibook to record lectures in my word documents. i then export them to itunes and put them on my ipod. i tell myself it'll make me smarter. but really, i just do it cuz i can.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 03:27 AM   #7
Lainee
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:*Robot Boy*:.
I'm not sure what the mic in the iBook is like, but the mic in my PowerBook is useless! The source material is always obscured by internal noises like the fan, key presses, the hard drive, etc
Is that the case with all the PowerBooks? Are the iBooks better for recording? Does anyone know?

Because I really want to be able to record lectures and I'm still hovering between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook, but if the iBook records better due to mic positioning or something that definately tips the balance for me.
Lainee is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 03:36 AM   #8
TheMonarch
macrumors 65816

I books have the mic on the right side of the screen (See that little hole? on the bezel?) Which I guess makes it slightly better because its in a quieter place... I don't really care much though. I've only used mine to voice over in FC.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 03:43 AM   #9
.:*Robot Boy*:.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainee
Is that the case with all the PowerBooks? Are the iBooks better for recording? Does anyone know?

Because I really want to be able to record lectures and I'm still hovering between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook, but if the iBook records better due to mic positioning or something that definately tips the balance for me.
I would guess that the iBooks are a lot better for recording due to the fact that the mic is in the screen. The mic in the PowerBooks is inside the PowerBook under the left-hand speaker grill, which is why it picks up so much internal noise.
.:*Robot Boy*:. is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:18 AM   #10
smooshy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluon
i use my internal mic on my ibook to record lectures in my word documents. i then export them to itunes and put them on my ipod. i tell myself it'll make me smarter. but really, i just do it cuz i can.
That would be great, to record straight into word.. how do you do it though? sorry if this is a silly question, but I've tried and I can't figure it out...
smooshy is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:07 PM   #11
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooshy
That would be great, to record straight into word.. how do you do it though? sorry if this is a silly question, but I've tried and I can't figure it out...
It's a new feature on Word 2004.
ftaok is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2005, 04:57 PM   #12
smooshy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok
It's a new feature on Word 2004.
Thanks for the cryptic response

I finally figured it out after a while of trying.. how do I export the file from Word to iTunes?
smooshy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers