Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
air23cary
macrumors member

Ultimate mini or ultimate iMac?

How good will a mini with 2.6, 16GB and SSD perform running Windows/OSX simultaneously? Would prefer an iMac but want all SSD and 768GB is too much. How capable is the mini in this situation (running multiple trading programs in and outside of Windows)?
air23cary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
stridemat

The mini should be fine running multiple Virtual Machines.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Nate392
macrumors member

The i7 in the mini is very capable. It has no issues running Photoshop and other programs simultaneously with out any trouble. I think it should work fine for you, as long as you aren't doing a lot of photo/video rendering. I have had no problems with mine, I couldn't be happier.
Is there anything specific you were looking for?
Nate392 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:00 PM   #4
air23cary
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate392 View Post
The i7 in the mini is very capable. It has no issues running Photoshop and other programs simultaneously with out any trouble. I think it should work fine for you, as long as you aren't doing a lot of photo/video rendering. I have had no problems with mine, I couldn't be happier.
Is there anything specific you were looking for?
I need a setup that can run OSX/Windows simultaneously without delay in at least a dual display. I will be running trading programs on each side so even a slight delay would hurt. Also will have safari browsers open. Just want to know if mini is suitable or if I should be thinking iMac.
air23cary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Nate392
macrumors member

The mini is a definitely a better choice for you, unless you were planning to get an i7 iMac, because the i7 in the mini supports multithreading, which the i5 in an iMac does not. I haven't had any issues with multiple programs running, lots of tabs in safari, anything like that.
Nate392 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini