Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1
vipgeorges
macrumors newbie

Clean install or migration assistant?

Hi,

So, I'm getting my iMac 27" on Wed and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get all my data to the iMac (from my Macbook Aluminum).

I know some folks prefer to do a clean install instead of using migration assistant. I have a ton of apps so the process would take a while for me. It's doable, but time consuming (at least I think it would be).

Are there any proven performance upsides to doing a clean install? My current system works really well without any issues...

Thanks!
vipgeorges is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipgeorges View Post
Hi,

So, I'm getting my iMac 27" on Wed and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get all my data to the iMac (from my Macbook Aluminum).

I know some folks prefer to do a clean install instead of using migration assistant. I have a ton of apps so the process would take a while for me. It's doable, but time consuming (at least I think it would be).

Are there any proven performance upsides to doing a clean install? My current system works really well without any issues...

Thanks!
Assuming the old machine is clean and has no issues then by all mean use Setup Assistant, NOT repeat NOT Migration Assistant.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
whirl
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
Assuming the old machine is clean and has no issues then by all mean use Setup Assistant, NOT repeat NOT Migration Assistant.
pplease can you tell me why not to use Migration Assistance. I am in the same boat as the OP and I haven't heard of setup assistance

Thanks
whirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:20 PM   #4
garycurtis
macrumors 6502

Setup Assistant is similar but does what you want. You'll get you files, your programs and, most important, network settings. You are prompted at tail end of several of the install options (such as Full, Clean, Archive) to kick in the Setup Assistant.

Easier than you think.
garycurtis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:33 PM   #5
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

How do you get Setup Assistant to run AFTER the initial OS X boot?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipgeorges View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
If your current system is running fine, just use Migration Assistant. There are some users here that are big believers in a clean install, but I just have never seen the benefit, much lesst before/after tests showing any benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirl View Post
pplease can you tell me why not to use Migration Assistance. I am in the same boat as the OP and I haven't heard of setup assistance

Thanks
User rkaufmann87 is confused. The process he described of importing your settings and data IS Migration Assistant. Setup assistant is a process that runs when you turn on a new Mac. It asks you to select a time zone, then select a language, then asks if you want to run Migration Assistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
How do you get Setup Assistant to run AFTER the initial OS X boot?
From your question, it sounds like you have already setup a user account and now want to run Migration Assist (MA) to get your data in from the old machine... yes?

Here is what you do. Go into system preferences and in Users & Groups, add a new temp admin account called "temp". Now logout of your account and login to the temp account. Go back to Users & Groups and delete your personal account and all the data in it. Now from the temp account launch Migration Assistant from /Applications/Utilities. Then follow the directions to import everything from your old machine or old Time Machine backup (check all the boxes in MA).

When the import is done, restart the machine and login to your personal account (not the temp) that will have been brought over during the import. Once you have verified everything is there and working properly, go back to Users & Groups and delete the temp accoutn we made.

Done.

I am making the assumption here you have all your data on the old machine or a Time Machine backup and there is nothing on the new machine you mind losing.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac