Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Hello,
I have a 5.1 MacPro running Mountain Lion. I have a Generic USB 3.0 Card that's been working fine for couple of weeks now :-D.
My Problem is: Girlfriend got me a DLink USB 3.0 HUB for Christmas and It's not working right when used with the card. Even though System Info app sees the hub connected to my card nothing plugged into the hub is seen. BTW: System Info sees it as a USB 2.0 Hub. The hub works correctly when plugged into one of the built in usb ports, but of course only at USB 2.0 speed.
I've tested swapping cables to the hub, but bupkis. I tried two different Hard Drives (usb 3.0) and a usb 2.0 CD Housing and all are unavailable plugged into the hub, but work fine plugged into the card itself or if hub is plugged into one of my builtin usb 2.0 ports.

Any info or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thx
Richard in Michigan

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Generic USB 3 card? What does system profile say about the card. Some of my readings about USB 3 cards indicate they do not support USB hubs and that could be the case here.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Generic USB 3 card? What does system profile say about the card. Some of my readings about USB 3 cards indicate they do not support USB hubs and that could be the case here.

Hi, it's a card I bought 12months ago on flea-bay from a southern china vendor. The original 'lacie driver' he sent wouldnt work under ML so I used the software I found via this forum. (Thank You MacPro Forum.)

Not being able to use a Hub would really suck.
a) I've got limited mobility -and- b) I tore my rotator cuff in PT
I can't be horsing tower around now, at least not routinely. :)

I just assumed a hub would work because, well it's usb and hubs work under usb.
Bummer
RW

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
The posts and threads I read, even started one, about USB 3 controllers made me re-think getting one and instead I grabbed a internal USB 2 controller which works great. Don't have the speed but it works with my hubs.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Does your card have a MOLEX power connector on it? And if so, did you connect power?
A Good question. I did not see a power connector while I was handling the card, but will give it another look n see tomorrow.
I received essentially no paperwork with the card. Just a 3" CD with windows drivers and a link to download drivers from Lacie.
FWIW The card does send out enough juice to run a bus powered hard drive with zero issues.
Thx-Richard in Michigan

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I've never seen a USB 3.0 PCIe card without an extra power connector.

FWIW The card does send out enough juice to run a bus powered hard drive with zero issues.

My USB 3.0 card (not a Lacie) wouldn't work without the extra power lead connected, even with no drives attached at all.

I suppose I'm theorizing that your card has enough to power a drive but the HUB is demanding too much.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
It WAS a powered hub so it ought not to have been sucking more juice than a running hard.
Going to get an extension or longer USB 3.0 cable until I can get a Hub sorted out.
R in Mi
I've never seen a USB 3.0 PCIe card without an extra power connector.

My USB 3.0 card (not a Lacie) wouldn't work without the extra power lead connected, even with no drives attached at all.

I suppose I'm theorizing that your card has enough to power a drive but the HUB is demanding too much.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Even my USB 2 PCIe card has a power port/slot on it. Not connected and works great with a 3TB drive and 2 hubs connected. Wish it were USB 3 but after much searching and even a thread I started I decided to play it safer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.