Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juniorsamples

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
A relative recently upgraded to an iphone5. She still has her old 4 that is still in pretty good shape, and has offered it to us for free.

My wife still has a plain ole, simple flip phone.

Can we change my wife's number to the 4 with Verizon on a shared plan?

Thank you and best wishes!

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
A relative recently upgraded to an iphone5. She still has her old 4 that is still in pretty good shape, and has offered it to us for free.

My wife still has a plain ole, simple flip phone.

Can we change my wife's number to the 4 with Verizon on a shared plan?

Thank you and best wishes!

Yes you can but Verizon will charge you for the smartphone, an extra $30 a month.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
1) Is this an iPhone 4 or 4S? Huge difference in this realm. The 4 is carrier specific. The 4S is the same hardware for all carriers but is locked by most of the carriers.

2) As others mentioned, you'll get charged more going from a crap -- sorry, I meant SIMPLE -- phone to a smartphone. It depends n your plan. I know the new share plans are $30 per regular phone, $40 per smartphone, meaning another $10 to you. On the old family plans, you keep the same minutes but have to purchase another data plan for $30/month.

If you do add your wife, I would consider the shared plan. I think 2 GB would run you $140, which includes unlimited talk and text plus use of the mobile hot spot feature.

If its an iPhone 4 you are talking about and it's incompatible but your wife still wants an iPhone, you can get a 4 for free with a two year contract. You can probably find a refurb 4S for $49 if you look hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.