Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:41 PM   #1
sulliweb
macrumors regular

Question iPad... Worth Upgrading?

Just looking for some information and opinions... I have an iPad 2. It works perfectly fine, but I've been saving up, and with a little extra that I got at Christmas, I have enough for a new one... I'm debating between that or a laptop/ultrabook/Air... (Yes, the last two would take a couple months of extra savings). Don't bother saying anything about the Regina display. It is nice, but my eyes aren't good enough to tell a huge difference. The picture is a little clearer. Moving on... Is the extra RAM and new processor with better graphics noticeable? Noticeable enough to buy a new one? I've toyed with one in the store, but two minutes doesn't tell you to much... The experience seems a little smoother, but...

Anywho, just looking for opinions on the value of upgrading my iPad. I know a lot of people feel the need to upgrade for a lot of reasons. I'm specifically interested in usage. Will I notice the upgrade or am I better off to upgrading the device that I pair with my iPad?

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Regina does look good

But at this point with ipad 5 rumors in march I would wait

Your ipad 2 still works fine
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:47 PM   #3
mrgossett
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Regina does look good

But at this point with ipad 5 rumors in march I would wait

Your ipad 2 still works fine
Who is Regina?
mrgossett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:50 PM   #4
wesk702
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgossett View Post
Who is Regina?
I think it's a other name for that new lightning port on the bottom of the ipad.
You can see it's new Ragina!
wesk702 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:10 AM   #5
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

If your two works fine, I wouldn't upgrade just yet. If you still find yourself using your current computer a lot, I would upgrade to an Air. If you don't use your computer much because of your iPad, then just hold onto your money.

I have the two and although I do notice some lag, and I would like the retina screen, I'm still not frustrated by it. I don't upgrade until I'm frustrated by my current device; I'm not frustrated enough by he two's speed or its lack of retina.

Wait until the iPad 5 comes out and upgrade to a cheap iPad 4.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:12 AM   #6
irDigital0l

Keep your iPad 2 if it still works.

Its worth waiting at least a month or two. If no new iPad shows up in March then go upgrade.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:29 AM   #7
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Hold onto your money until next year. The iPad won't go up in price and you'll have a new design and an overall better device for the same money.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:49 AM   #8
Geekbabe
macrumors 6502

Wait till March on the ipad, wait till summer on the Macbook.. Haswell is coming!
Geekbabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

Just wait for iPad 5. I am perfectly happy with ipad 2 for now and I can wait for ipad 5.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:06 AM   #10
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

I just got myself a new laptop to replace my existing 5 years old one. It is pretty cheap these days, even cheaper than the cheapest Ipad mini.

Just to tell you that i dont feel any need or want to upgrade my Ipad 2 at all. Because 3 and 4, dispite being better screen i dont want a heavier device and hotter one. Better get new device to pair with your Ipad or a new laptop. More worthed.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:21 AM   #11
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
I just got myself a new laptop to replace my existing 5 years old one. It is pretty cheap these days, even cheaper than the cheapest Ipad mini.

Just to tell you that i dont feel any need or want to upgrade my Ipad 2 at all. Because 3 and 4, dispite being better screen i dont want a heavier device and hotter one. Better get new device to pair with your Ipad or a new laptop. More worthed.
The 4th gen does not run hot, at least not mine. And the 4 is only 2 ounces heavier.
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad