Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
Hello everyone. I love Apple. I have an iPad, MacBook, iPhone 4s, if it has an Apple logo on it and you name it, I probably have it. I currently have an iPhone 4S that I bought unlocked last February. I am thinking of either upgrading to the 5 or saving my upgrade for the iPhone 5S. What is your opinion? Thanks. Have a great New Years, and see you all next year! :D:D

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I love my 5. The only way I would wish I had a 5S is if they upgrade the camera a decent amount, since I use my phone for photos a lot.

Can't really imagine much they could do to make me really want anything else though, I'd just go with the 5.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Seems like this question gets asked every year at this time...

If your happy with your 4S and plan on using your upgrade, than I would wait for the next gen.

If you can't stop the itch, just use your upgrade and get the 5

You can then just sell the 5 and buy the next gen off contract

Either way, even when the next gen comes out, the 5 will still be a top notch device

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
Got my 5 today and I'm loving it. I sorta thought about waiting but didn't want to wait 9 months for the 5s/6 whatever they will call it. Plus they hold their values decently so ill play the resell game if its cost effective when it comes time.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Got my 5 today and I'm loving it. I sorta thought about waiting but didn't want to wait 9 months for the 5s/6 whatever they will call it. Plus they hold their values decently so ill play the resell game if its cost effective when it comes time.

I also got a black iP5 today (had a white 4s) really digging it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Is your 4S still working fine?

Is so, you could wait for the 5S.

This. The 4S is still a decent phone in 2013, so if it's working fine, just continue using it. The 5 is not such a huge upgrade from the 4S, you can do the same things on both phones.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
hehehe..

You can wait, I mean there are plenty of seats on the " Wait For The Next Model " train since the iMac guys were recently released! But don't get too close to the MacPro guys, they might be a little grumpy! :D

It's all about what you want to do, you sound like you know the game.

Who knows what the 5s will bring?

I just got my 4 replaced with a 4 because the 5 did not impress me. I tried to sweet talk the Apple Genius into selling me a 4s for that replacement cost but she could clearly see through the smoke. :D

For me since the 5 didn't do the trick, I doubt the 5s will so I have no seat on the train, but I will make a reservation when the 5s comes out to wait for the 6. :D

allied122

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
The iPhone 5S could be coming by the summer of 2013. Experts expect it to be similar to the recently released iPhone 5, but it should have some better hardware and perhaps some additional fun features. If so, do you think this will drop the prices of a new iPhone 5? Perhaps it will.

Hello everyone. I love Apple. I have an iPad, MacBook, iPhone 4s, if it has an Apple logo on it and you name it, I probably have it. I currently have an iPhone 4S that I bought unlocked last February. I am thinking of either upgrading to the 5 or saving my upgrade for the iPhone 5S. What is your opinion? Thanks. Have a great New Years, and see you all next year! :D:D

----------

I also got a black iP5 today (had a white 4s) really digging it.

The bottom line, it seems like if you do not already have an iPhone 5, you may want to wait to see what happens with the 5S model from Apple.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I was in the same boat as you. I too didn't want to wait 9 months for the next iPhone when Apple will probably just upgrade the processor. The 5 is already plenty fast enough so I just got the 5. Loving it so far.

nqlong1986

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
I think if you want to upgrade to iPhone 5, just do it; because when 5S is out, you can wait for 6, and keep waiting...

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Get the 5 now. You can always just add a line for $9.95 a month and get the 6 when it comes out, or go off contract

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen

I'm in similar situation to you, I have iMac, MacBook, white iPhone 4S, iPods, iTunes, Apple TV.

I will be upgrading to the 5S, because the S version always has some nice features the number only version lacks, (like SIRI, better camera, etc). Also, the S version always manages to work out the kinks whenever they have a new design, (antenna gate).

It will probably only be a few months, I can wait for that.. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with the 4S.. Many apps are still being reformatted for the larger screen size on the 5 and 5S. Most of that work will be done by the time the 5S is released

:)

clyde2801

macrumors 601
To 5 or not to 5...

I managed to get an unlocked 4S a year ago for a decent price. Me and my wife are eligible to upgrade tomorrow, and she's sporting a 3GS with a broken screen.

The two options are a) she gets my 4s* and I get a 5, or I keep my 4s and she gets a 4s of her own. My 4s is out of applecare plus replacements (splashdown killed original, "Lifeproof" case failed my first replacement, don't get me started on that one:confused::eek::mad:) but has a spigen sgp glas.t and case. The intent is we keep one upgrade 'in our pocket' just in case.

My heads about to spin taking into considerations on which option. Scatchgate and adapter problems vs. LTE and that big lovely screen...

*Before anyone says anything about this: She's the one who suggested it, it would be a major upgrade from her 3gs, and she drives a two year old Benz while I'm in a '97 Toyota. Don't judge.

RoyMinnett

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Well, its a nice question :D

I'm still with my iPhone 4S. Not sure whether to upgrade to iphone 5 or wait for the next iphone 5S (may be).

I'm also confused :S

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
The 5 is a '3rd iteration' iPhone. See, first there was the iPhone. Then the iPhone 3G. Then the 3GS -- a third iteration. Then came the 4. Then the 4s, and now the 5 -- another third iteration in the pattern. The 5 is everything that the 4 and 4s should have been.

I have a theory that Apple only gives you the best on every third iteration of a product.

To disprove this theory we will have to look at what the next iPhone will be called. If it is indeed the 5"S"... then Apple has broken the pattern. This "pattern", by the way, also applies to all other Apple products including MacBooks, iPods and Desktops.

But if the next iPhone is the iPhone SIX, then I'll be darned.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Well the iPhone 5S sounds pretty sweet, but the iPhone 6 will be the dreamphone. And I hear the 6S is going to be KILLER!!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I had a 4S and got a 5, and I think I will skip the 5S because I think whatever happens next year (2014) will be much bigger!

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I would be extremely surprised if they came out with a new iPhone in the summer. I think we're on fall release schedules for iOS devices for a while, leaving the spring open for whatever other unannounced goodies they have up their sleeve.

So like other people have said, you have at least a 9-10 month wait. I wouldn't wait. The 5 is a terrific experience. Just slap a case on it, use the hell out of it and sell it when the 5S comes out. Easy peasy.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Yep, I think the 6 will be pretty sweet.

If I don't just go back to a dumb phone & my Verizon Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.