Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2013, 05:48 PM   #201
ihonda
macrumors 65816

hell my phone wont even go into DND
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:52 PM   #202
MrsGhost
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to MrsGhost
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem1981 View Post
I made some tests and this issue will fix itself on Sunday January 6, 2013. It will happen the first few days of January 2014 (until Sunday January 5, 2014) if the bug is not fixed. Most first few days of most years seem to have this bug. The bugs starts on January 1st (based on the From time under Scheduled) and is usually fixed on the first Sunday of the year (except if the first day of the year is a Sunday, then it is fixed on the second Sunday). Years preceding years where the first day is a Sunday are not affected by the bug.

Let's check the next few years, this is the pattern :

2013 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 6
2014 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 5
2015 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 4
2016 : Issue not happening even though first day is a Friday
2017 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 8 (Jan 1st is also a Sunday)
2018 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 7
2019 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 6
2020 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 5
2021 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 3
2022 : Issue not happening even though first day is a Saturday
2023 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 8 (Jan 1st is also a Sunday)
2024 : Issue fixed on Sunday Jan 7
Etc...

The same pattern happens if you go back in time as well.

Note : If DND is scheduled before midnight, then the issue and the fix (see above) are delayed one day since it's based on the From time under Scheduled.

Bazinga! I changed the date to January 8, set the DND to turn off at 1:34am (it was 1:32am when I made that change) and hey presto, it did disable whereas previous attempts at leaving it on January 2 all went wrong. So I guess come morning I'll have to turn it off manually but at least the schedule feature does enable itself without problems, that's a relief. Guess that all those affected will have to wait until next week before the problem goes away. unless Apple decides to send us a special update - fat chance though... Really, you'd expect a ridiculously expensive device like an iPhone (or any iOS device for that matter) not to have bugs like this but more importantly, I am feeling very sorry for all those Apple diehards who are covering their ears and going "lalalala I can't hear you" whenever something made by Apple doesn't "just work." Nice attitude to life, that.
MrsGhost is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:53 PM   #203
TechieGeek
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
In other news he has to touch phones to share pictures and videos while Apple has adopted a more worldwide method of using the Internet to do so.
I thought Android beam was the ugliest, most useless feature until I tried it. However, it actually works very quickly and very well, much faster than sending a picture or URL over SMS.

Now I've tried iPhone too, but something iPhone still can't do - I can't be looking at a picture in the photo gallery and tap it to share it from there through any app I want. I think iPhone users are limited to Facebook and Twitter and SMS? On Android I can share through any app installed on my phone that can share...SMS, Kik, Facebook Messenger, Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.

Just because you use an iPhone doesn't mean you have to ignore its flaws. iOS still has a long way to come with open sharing. NFC is extremely fast and easy, and if iPhone had it I'm sure you wouldn't be calling it useless when we have the internet to share instead.
TechieGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:01 PM   #204
MrsGhost
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to MrsGhost
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
I thought Android beam was the ugliest, most useless feature until I tried it. However, it actually works very quickly and very well, much faster than sending a picture or URL over SMS.

Now I've tried iPhone too, but something iPhone still can't do - I can't be looking at a picture in the photo gallery and tap it to share it from there through any app I want. I think iPhone users are limited to Facebook and Twitter and SMS? On Android I can share through any app installed on my phone that can share...SMS, Kik, Facebook Messenger, Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.

Just because you use an iPhone doesn't mean you have to ignore its flaws. iOS still has a long way to come with open sharing. NFC is extremely fast and easy, and if iPhone had it I'm sure you wouldn't be calling it useless when we have the internet to share instead.
True, my previous phone was a Sony (Ericsson) Xperia arc & I loved the way sharing is dealt with in Android: I used twicca in addition to Twitter for Android and if I wanted to share a photo I could choose which Twitter client to use straight from the photo gallery itself.

We can only hope that iOS will mature a bit more in the (near) future. It's not a bad OS but it's not perfect either, and well, the same goes for Android: they're both excellent but improvements will always be necessary one way or another. That's the beauty of technology and software I guess: there IS no ultimate solution, so it's down to personal opinion and choice.
MrsGhost is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:03 PM   #205
Don Kosak
macrumors 6502a

Do Not Disturb worked fine for me today.

It's probably a bug that needs a particular set of conditions to set it off.

I really depend on it, as the 5-6 hour time difference means if I don't set "do not disturb", I get calls from folks on the East Coast at 3am my time...

(I live in Hawaii for what it's worth. iPhone with iOS version 6.0.1.)

Boy, people love bashing Apple these days...

Last edited by Don Kosak; Jan 1, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Don Kosak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:02 PM   #206
Berti10
macrumors member

In The Morning I switched it off but now it won't turn on automaticly. It's set to switch on at 1:30 am and Off at 6 am. So here in Germany it's January 2nd and 3am and nothing happened
Berti10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:10 PM   #207
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berti10 View Post
In The Morning I switched it off but now it won't turn on automaticly. It's set to switch on at 1:30 am and Off at 6 am. So here in Germany it's January 2nd and 3am and nothing happened
Just like 2012.12.21 - nothing happened.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #208
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
You do realize that local alarms still go off even when DND is on. So, what's the big issue?
The big issue is that it's something Apple that isn't working 100% perfect and thus the blogs can get big page hits out of hyping it as a universal design error and fatal flaw

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedBookPro View Post
Most other devices, not just phones have software that DO work, without bugs - especially for fundamental functions like turning alarms off and on.

You're so brilliant that I'm certain you know that DND doesn't do jack to alarms. They go off no matter whether DND is on or off.

DND is about calls, facetime and texts. Doesn't stop you from getting them just from hearing any sounds or having the screen light up if the device is locked.

But you knew that. Just like you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kosak View Post
Do Not Disturb worked fine for me today.
Me too. Just like every Daylight Savings Time I have no issues. Haven't in 4 iPhones and now 3 iPads. All of which I kept up to date with the latest software installed no more than a month after the release.

Which tells me that this isn't just about iOS or everyone would be having issues.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:59 AM   #209
DB2k
macrumors member

weird. mine was fine yesterday, and then overnight into today it went on as per the schedule, and wouldn't shut off automatically. every time i turn DND on the moon reappears. iPhone5/latest OS.

rebooted phone with DND off. turned DND back on after reboot and the schedule is active, and its still got the mooon

hmm. annoying
DB2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:08 AM   #210
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
You're so brilliant that I'm certain you know that DND doesn't do jack to alarms. They go off no matter whether DND is on or off.

DND is about calls, facetime and texts. Doesn't stop you from getting them just from hearing any sounds or having the screen light up if the device is locked.

But you knew that. Just like you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.[COLOR="#808080"]
The fact that it didn't turn off at the time is was meant to, basically means it's a "time event", much the same as when people were having problems with alarms in iOS. Something is meant to happen at a certain time. In this case, turn DND off. Understand? This is a simple notion, and should be basic for any programmer. That's what I was referring to. I never said it affected alarms.

And yes, if I had access to iOS source code, I probably would be able to fix it. And while I was at it, I'd fix stupid things like the swoosh sound before SMTP negotiation in mail as well. But I guess you also think that's normal behaviour for a mail client.

-------------------------------------------------------
You can't talk sense to a fan-boy
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:31 AM   #211
adamget
macrumors newbie

No problem here

Why all the hysteria? Works fine here, and if it hadn't a simple manual intervention will fix it. Hardly a show-stopper is it.
adamget is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:42 AM   #212
muon25
macrumors newbie

Interestingly, this bug didn't hit me on the 1st, but did hit me today, on both my iPhone 4S and iPad Mini. It also hit my wife today on her iPhone 4.
muon25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:56 AM   #213
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
Apple - they really do suck at clocks.
It's not just apple, as anyone who had to deal with the problematic Windows 7 daylight saving patches in Western Australia will attest.

edit:
My iphone failed to come off do not disturb. I only noticed today, 2nd of Jan at work...
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:02 AM   #214
Powertoola
macrumors member

Mine also failed to turn off for a second day
Powertoola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:07 AM   #215
Pagemakers
macrumors 6502a

Mine failed to turn off a second day.

Bloody iOS 6. It's VISTA
Pagemakers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:14 AM   #216
rudenkobm
macrumors newbie

A reply from the stone age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
"we've tried to reach you for the past 24 hours. I was trying to tell you that your son was hit by a drunk driver on new years eve. he passed away 2 minutes ago."
There's always some Muppet who'll come up with an inane example to make their point. Believe it or not, people managed to live their lives quite well before the invention of the mobile phone.
rudenkobm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:11 AM   #217
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by muon25 View Post
Interestingly, this bug didn't hit me on the 1st, but did hit me today, on both my iPhone 4S and iPad Mini. It also hit my wife today on her iPhone 4.
Me too, slightly annoying but at least I know its not just my iphone and ipad..
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:23 AM   #218
borostef
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by muon25 View Post
Same thing here, worked fine yesterday but wouldn't shut off today...
borostef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:14 AM   #219
sitsonthefence
macrumors member

Oddly hit all my devices today, but not yesterday.

But as my devices all have an override for important calls and I've enabled the repeat call within 3mins, nothing urgent / important has been missed.
sitsonthefence is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:17 AM   #220
pbateman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borostef View Post
Same thing here, worked fine yesterday but wouldn't shut off today...
Same here..worked fine yesterday but today its stuck in DND mode...
pbateman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:24 AM   #221
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Mine is set to come out of DND at 5am.

Its 8:54 now, and no sign if DND.

No sign of issue here
7:24AM here this morning. Was supposed to come out of DND at 5am.

DND did not kick off. Just had to disable it manually.

W T F
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:54 AM   #222
jdstoddard
macrumors member

Fine yesterday now my wife's iPhone 5 along with mine and my mini are all stuck. Weird.
jdstoddard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:04 AM   #223
ssanders79
macrumors member

1/1 OK - 1/2 Not OK

My iOS devices DND feature was ok on the 1st, but today (1/2) it did not turn off at 6:00AM. Thankfully, this is not a big deal. I will wait to see if it resolves itself overnight.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:05 AM   #224
webitorgal
macrumors regular

Still a problem with me. I had to manually switch it off.
webitorgal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:29 AM   #225
css1323
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbush25 View Post
Seriously... Is this all you guys (and girls) have to do? How about you go spend time with your friends and family and stop crying about a silly little problem. If you're not observant enough to notice the moon in the status bar, I'm sure you weren't missing much else on your phone.

Have a good day with your family and try not to ruin it because DND isn't working.

Happy New Year!
What an annoying reply to what is an actual legitimate discussion about a real iOS bug. We've all contributed to Apple's market cap and there's no reason why we can't voice our concerns.

While I agree that I do see some whining, to brush off the bug as something "silly" is silly in itself. This is how developers earn their living, they need to fix and improve upon iOS. I was also a perplexed user when I found the DND feature to be on during the day on Jan. 1st when it should have been functioning at night. Power cycling the phone got the moon to disappear but even today on the 2nd, it's reappeared. Let's hope this gets patched up with an upcoming update.
css1323 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion