Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:41 AM   #1
egis
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to egis
Digiloyd - Apple Core Rot

Lloyd Chambers - Author of the blog DigiLoyd, which is devoted to digital photography, authored a piece in mid January on issues that bug us users daily. It is a terrific read and I encourage all of us who seem constantly befuddled by applications like iPhoto and Aperture and the storms of discussions on this forum about the value of these applications versus Lightroom and Photoshop to read it.

It is getting a lot of positive buzz and helps explain, at least to me, what is going on with Apple. If we all do want photo and video applications to work more seamlessly than not, then Digiloyd provides some informative perspectives.

Check it out at: http://macperformanceguide.com/AppleCoreRot-intro.html
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

I must be a total technoB00b. I don't encounter most of the issues the author seems bedeviled about. I must have iTunes set up wrong, as I don't see the "nightmarish kitchen sink design cluttered with dozens of tabs and modes and animations and clutter..." at all.

The only thing I really don't like is the implementation of multiple displays and full screen (which I don't use}.

But that's just me...

Edit: I do wish these people who bash the Mac OS would please code a good alternative.

Dale
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:25 PM   #3
r.harris1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
I must be a total technoB00b. I don't encounter most of the issues the author seems bedeviled about. I must have iTunes set up wrong, as I don't see the "nightmarish kitchen sink design cluttered with dozens of tabs and modes and animations and clutter..." at all.

The only thing I really don't like is the implementation of multiple displays and full screen (which I don't use}.

But that's just me...

Edit: I do wish these people who bash the Mac OS would please code a good alternative.

Dale
Absolutely agree. Like Lloyd, I too have a long history as C,C++, Java developer and have used Macs for donkey's years. But unlike Lloyd, I find I am every bit as productive (if not more) as the OS matures. Every OS has issues, and OS X is no exception. Some issues are certainly annoying but no show stoppers. Would like to see 10 bit graphics drivers but...as I am simply an enthusiastic amateur on the digital photography side, perhaps it's more annoying to folks like Lloyd than it is to me.
r.harris1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:50 PM   #4
DirtySocks85
macrumors 65816

I have a bit of trouble taking an article about design seriously when it has the line "This is the first page only. Use the popup menu at top right for subsequent pages." at the top of it in 2013.

That being said, it sounds like Lloyd is just bitter that Apple is trying to make their hardware and software usable by more people than just him. Maybe I'm not an expert as I've only been a regular user of Apple products for about 6 years now, but I just don't see where all of this degradation and decay is.

Also, I like Mission Control and use it regularly as part of my workflow. A lot of users bemoan the changes that Apple has done to Spaces over the past couple of OS X versions, but I personally like the current implementation of full screen apps, and multiple desktops. My only complaint on that front is that when I go full screen on one display, the other display should not magically go to a blank linen background.

On a note not directly related to the article, why is this in the photography section? I mean I get that he mentions iPhoto and Aperture, but still, doesn't this belong in General or OS X?

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read OP and saw that the blogger blogs about digital photography. Got it. Still seems to be a generally OS X-centric rant though.
DirtySocks85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography