Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old May 16, 2014, 12:08 PM   #1
saberahul
macrumors 68040

iPod Classic

Anyone else feel that Apple should keep the classic alive for the sole purpose of having a large music library? Would love to see an update - even if it only means a lightning connector, though a larger capacity would be very nice.
Old May 16, 2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Rawkfist
macrumors member

I own and use several Classic iPods and like them a great deal. I would love to see a hardware update but am getting more and more concerned about that ever happening. With Apple getting serious about the streaming business and sagging profits in the iTunes music store their interest in those of us with large music libraries is probably minimal at best. 95% of the music in my iTunes is from ripped CDs so they really don't care about me much at all.
Rawkfist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
Anyone else feel that Apple should keep the classic alive for the sole purpose of having a large music library? Would love to see an update - even if it only means a lightning connector, though a larger capacity would be very nice.
Yes, I'm in a somewhat similar position. My classic played host to my (not inconsiderable) music library. And yes, I would like to see greater storage capacity, and, in my dreams, perhaps a 128 GB SSD drive……..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
I own and use several Classic iPods and like them a great deal. I would love to see a hardware update but am getting more and more concerned about that ever happening. With Apple getting serious about the streaming business and sagging profits in the iTunes music store their interest in those of us with large music libraries is probably minimal at best. 95% of the music in my iTunes is from ripped CDs so they really don't care about me much at all.
Again, I am in a somewhat similar situation; I, too, have several iPod classics, and love them, and use them. For that matter, in common with your good self, most of my music library is comprised of ripped CDs.

And, yes, it would be very nice to see an update for those of us who like to be able to have our rather large music libraries in one portable device……..

Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

I thought I would miss the classic and it's been sitting on my desk for a few months now. I have iTunes Match so I have access to all my music. A part of me with they would change it, because it's way over priced now.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 05:55 PM   #5
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
I thought I would miss the classic and it's been sitting on my desk for a few months now. I have iTunes Match so I have access to all my music. A part of me with they would change it, because it's way over priced now.
Everyone is different really. For me, it's a player that will sit in my car connected to the car's audio system. I have limited data so iTunes Match is a no-no for me.
Old May 24, 2014, 08:42 PM   #6
KUguardgrl13
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
Everyone is different really. For me, it's a player that will sit in my car connected to the car's audio system. I have limited data so iTunes Match is a no-no for me.
Ditto on this. My iPod Classic is my road trip and public transit device. I hook it up in my car with an iTrip. I know, 2007 called, and they want their tech back That's the model year for my car, so that's the system I use. No Bluetooth or USB, and forget an aux port unless I somehow install it myself. It's possible in a a Corolla, but I haven't found the right parts yet for my stock head unit.

Anyway, if I did something like Pandora or Spotify, I'd be paying Verizon extra pretty quick. I've already paid Apple for a lot of my music anyway.
Old May 25, 2014, 08:29 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

It's a nice device for those that have large music libraries. That said, I doubt you'll ever see anymore updates for it.
Old May 25, 2014, 08:50 AM   #8
grubworth
macrumors member

i think we will. rumours of apple selling 24 bit rate music in the itunes store, buying beats headphones, fiio products are great and filling a void in the outdated market of ipod classic users.

i think something will be in the works aimed at passionate audio collectors / audiophiles. it was only because their was nothing else to do and components were too expensive. i think we could be reaching the time for affordable ssd sizes for a ipod classic and thus a new time for a products. hopefully!
grubworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:43 AM   #9
venomgt95
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to venomgt95
anybody have an extra firewire cable i can have? i need one for my 3rd gen classic :s
venomgt95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:02 AM   #10
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Love my Classic. I take it everywhere with me still. Would buy an SSD upgrade within an instant. Would also love to see the return of backlit buttons like on the 3rd Gen. And a built-in phone speaker too
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:16 AM   #11
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030

I actually bought a new Classic *AFTER* buying my iPhone 5s, because iOS 7 destroys podcast support.

The Classic handles podcasts nicely still, the interface is still nice, and it's not bad being able to throw nearly as much video as I want on it and all my podcasts

I've had serious reliability issues with the last two gens of Nanos, so...I'd rather have the existing Classic that works than an updated model that's flakey, if those were the choices.
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2014, 03:18 AM   #12
iMacBooked
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to iMacBooked Send a message via AIM to iMacBooked Send a message via MSN to iMacBooked Send a message via Yahoo to iMacBooked Send a message via Skype™ to iMacBooked
Love my Classic too, I hope Apple won't discontinue it, because for people who have tons of music and like nostalgia, the Classic is definitely the perfect choice.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 05:25 AM   #13
MH01
macrumors 68030

I love the classic.

At some stage I would love to get my hand on all the previous generations of ipods produced.

My favourite is the U2 edition, the colour combo is cool
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod