Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:55 AM   #1
astrocramp
macrumors newbie

Java update crashes OSX

I have a mid-2010 MBP with i7 and 8GB RAM, SSD, OSX 10.7.5. I've been trying to get Minecraft working on it for my kids, but when launching Minecraft a message throws up that I need a Java Runtime Environment. When I do that, the JRE downloads, starts to install, but then hangs at "optimizing system for performance" about 80% through. Not even a command-option-escape will respond. I have to do a hard reset by pressing and holding down the power button to reboot.

From the command line I do a java -version, and it says not runtime is installed and again prompts me to install it (if i follow through the system hangs every time). From the java console in Utilities, it says i have java 7 update 10. Not sure if it matters, but i have both firefox and chrome installed as well (in case there is some plugin that is corrupt).

How can I completely uninstall java so I can do a fresh install? I followed some tips on the web to drag the java applet to the trash, but that didn't seem to work. I'm thinking I need to reinstall OSX. Irritating...for a simple Minecraft game!!
astrocramp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
LPZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocramp View Post
I have a mid-2010 MBP with i7 and 8GB RAM, SSD, OSX 10.7.5. I've been trying to get Minecraft working on it for my kids, but when launching Minecraft a message throws up that I need a Java Runtime Environment. When I do that, the JRE downloads, starts to install, but then hangs at "optimizing system for performance" about 80% through. Not even a command-option-escape will respond. I have to do a hard reset by pressing and holding down the power button to reboot.

From the command line I do a java -version, and it says not runtime is installed and again prompts me to install it (if i follow through the system hangs every time). From the java console in Utilities, it says i have java 7 update 10. Not sure if it matters, but i have both firefox and chrome installed as well (in case there is some plugin that is corrupt).

How can I completely uninstall java so I can do a fresh install? I followed some tips on the web to drag the java applet to the trash, but that didn't seem to work. I'm thinking I need to reinstall OSX. Irritating...for a simple Minecraft game!!
To uninstall, simply trash JavaAppletPlugin.plugin, which is located in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.

Then download from http://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en and install. Good luck.
LPZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 02:27 PM   #3
astrocramp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPZ View Post
To uninstall, simply trash JavaAppletPlugin.plugin, which is located in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.

Then download from http://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en and install. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip, but for whatever reason it still has the same behavior. I deleted the file, reinstalled from the link, and for whatever reason OSX doesn't "see" the JRE and prompts to install. When I do, my entire system freezes with no option but for hard reset. Wondering if I need to wipe my system clean.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:24 PM   #4
javaenthusiast
macrumors newbie

Terminal/command line Java Runtime (JRE) from Oracle requires JDK

Hello,

[you need the JDK]

The Java Runtime that you download from java.com/oracle.com contains a plugin to run Java content from your browser. It does not contain the command line tools.

You will need to download the JDK. This contains the runtime tools to run Java from your Terminal.

JDK download:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1880260.html

You can leave the JRE/Plugin installed. They are separate and coexist without issue. Note that because they are different pieces of software the versions can be out of sync. I guarantee at some point they will, and should be out of sync, when the JRE/Plugin updates. Take the updates!! They are quick to install and keep your machine much safer.

- javaenthusiast
javaenthusiast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
astrocramp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by javaenthusiast View Post
Hello,

[you need the JDK]

The Java Runtime that you download from java.com/oracle.com contains a plugin to run Java content from your browser. It does not contain the command line tools.

You will need to download the JDK. This contains the runtime tools to run Java from your Terminal.

JDK download:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1880260.html
You can leave the JRE/Plugin installed. They are separate and coexist without issue. Note that because they are different pieces of software the versions can be out of sync. I guarantee at some point they will, and should be out of sync, when the JRE/Plugin updates. Take the updates!! They are quick to install and keep your machine much safer.

- javaenthusiast
Thanks, at least java shows up when I query it from the terminal, but minecraft still refuses to recognize that there is a JRE installed. It throws the message asking me to install, and when do its the same behavior: osx hangs during the install on "optimizing the system for installed software" and I have to do a hard reset. I'm reinstalling lion now.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:35 PM   #6
astrocramp
macrumors newbie

Solved by reinstall

I gave up and just reinstalled lion. That has fixed the problem with the update hanging. What an irritating slog.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help