Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
janny1
macrumors newbie

Things up on the iPad mini 2

The story goes that the iPad mini 2 will have an even sharper display of 2,048 x 1,536 pixels packed into the same 7.9-inch space.
The mini 2 is said to have a crisp 324 ppi density.

So could that mean the iPad mini 2 release date is early 2013?
janny1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I don't think the iPad mini 2 will be released in early 2013. I think it is more likely to be released in the summer of 2013.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
batting1000
macrumors 601

It's not likely to be out so soon. The demand for the mini is still too high.
batting1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4
janny1
macrumors newbie

I rather it comes out later than summer, like Fall or Sep is better...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:43 AM   #5
PeanutButterMan
Banned

So you're just rehashing old rumors just to start a thread of your own?
PeanutButterMan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by janny1 View Post
Ummm... why?
Spungoflex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
danpass
macrumors 68020

My prior experience with iPads led me to go with a 32gb. But I like my mini so much that I am finding I should have gotten a 64gb.

My next one will be done right
danpass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Angry

Quote:
The story goes that the iPad mini 2 will have an even sharper display of 2,048 x 1,536 pixels packed into the same 7.9-inch space.

Why didn't you just post this in one if the BILLION other threads about this? The story goes.....I could tell you a better story but I am not sure you would like it!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Seems like overkill to me. PPI enough to do retinal/full HD is quite sufficient on a screen that size. Anything above 264 is just going to use up more processing power while giving no additional benefit to the average eye.

As for release date, why should Apple rush? It sounds like they barely keep up with demand for the Mk1 Mini.
Internaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:34 PM   #10
irDigital0l

Quote:
You might like that, but it would be foolish to think that Apple won't release any iOS product in spring or summer.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:42 PM   #11
TJ5921
macrumors regular

Chances are there won't be anything new until the fall, given the incredible demand for the mini(apples best product)
TJ5921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:45 PM   #12
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I really don't think the mini will fit a retina with that many pixels in such a small space. So I don't think the mini 2 will have retina.
1rottenapple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:50 PM   #13
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

1. AU Optronics who are developing the display for the retina mini are reported to not have it ready for production until Q4 2013

2. 2048 x 1536 pixels in a 7.9" display is NOT 324 ppi, but closer to 485 ppi hence it requires a completely new production technology, one that almost certainly is not ready for a release in early 2013 (see 1)

3. Currently the A6X chip which is powerful enough to drive a 2048 x 1536 display is far too power hungry to be grafted inside an iPad Mini. The iPad 3 & 4 have a 42 Watt battery, the ipad mini has a 15 Watt battery. Unless apple changes the processor/gpu to a powerful, but more efficient chipset it can not go into the Mini without resulting in 2-3 hour battery life. Such a chipset is not yet available and hence once more the liklihood of an early 2013 release is nothing but a dream in market analysts eyes.

4. Do we really need more of these threads?
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Why didn't you just post this in one if the BILLION other threads about this? The story goes.....I could tell you a better story but I am not sure you would like it!
Amen!

Remember OP...there is a search feature and that often there is a thread (or in this case a dozen+ threads) discussing theories on the iPad 5 and Mini 2. It would be counterproductive if everyone with a theory started a new thread.

Hope you're enjoying your new iOS device and welcome to MacRumors!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:28 AM   #15
janny1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungoflex View Post
Ummm... why?
Because I can earn enough extra money for the new ipad mini 2 for my sister
she want a new tablet for her new college life

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
1. AU Optronics who are developing the display for the retina mini are reported to not have it ready for production until Q4 2013

2. 2048 x 1536 pixels in a 7.9" display is NOT 324 ppi, but closer to 485 ppi hence it requires a completely new production technology, one that almost certainly is not ready for a release in early 2013 (see 1)

3. Currently the A6X chip which is powerful enough to drive a 2048 x 1536 display is far too power hungry to be grafted inside an iPad Mini. The iPad 3 & 4 have a 42 Watt battery, the ipad mini has a 15 Watt battery. Unless apple changes the processor/gpu to a powerful, but more efficient chipset it can not go into the Mini without resulting in 2-3 hour battery life. Such a chipset is not yet available and hence once more the liklihood of an early 2013 release is nothing but a dream in market analysts eyes.

So if we have not need of such thread, please close it here, looking for update news of ipad mini 2...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:48 AM   #16
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

one smart butt in here posted something about how he knows some people that knows people who work for some people which gave him the news about new Ipad coming in March.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:22 AM   #17
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post

Source???

Because 2048 x 1536 pixels in a 7.9" = 324PPI by definition and reality.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:34 AM   #18
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Source???

Because 2048 x 1536 pixels in a 7.9" = 324PPI by definition and reality.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/07/...ion-ipad-mini/

http://www.menafn.com/menafn/e01168d...-New-iPad-Mini

Quote:
AU Optronics Developing Retina Panel for New iPad Mini

XINZHU, Nov 07, 2012 (Menafn - SinoCast Daily Business Beat via COMTEX) --With the disclosure of the specifications for the next-generation iPad Mini by Apple Inc. AAPL, AU Optronics Corp. (AUO, NYSE: AUO) has been developing a retina panel with resolution as high as 497ppi.

AUO plans to apply the retina panel to the next-generation iPad Mini, since the resolution of the product is much higher than that of 326ppi of the new iPad.

It is said that ultrahigh resolution can not be developed without the technology of indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO), and the technology of Gate IC on array (GOA) is also indispensable since the next-generation iPad Mini will have an ultra-narrow frame. The technology of GOA helps save the room of IC on the rim and narrow the frame of the screen to the largest extent.

Speaking of the progress of the development of iPad Mini, AUO claimed that it had solved the problem of yield and there would be no light leak as existed before. The company would ship the products in large scale in the fourth quarter.
Quote:
DoNews shortly after the November 7, 2007 (Fei Xue) officially listed on the Apple iPad mini iPad mini panel specifications about the next generation of network exposure. According to DoNews reporter learned, AUO is to develop a resolution of up to 497ppi retina (Retina) panel, ready to use him in the next generation of iPad mini.

iPad mini

Message is displayed, the next generation of Apple iPad mini resolution up to 2048x1536 pixel resolution, consistent with the latest Apple iPad, but the piece of the 7.9-inch screen, so that the new iPad mini per square pixels up to 497ppi, far exceeded the new iPad 264 pixels per inch (ppi), iPad mini screen display four times.

A latest screen will be a large number of shipments in the second half of next year, The new iPad mini should be a large number of shipments in the fourth quarter of next year. In the iPad mini market soon broke out this message DoNews the reporter less optimistic about the iPad mini will bring sales, Apple's new iPad mini "feeding increase", or a reasonable price, I believe will be excited from the consumer's desire to buy. (End)
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:48 AM   #19
Menel
macrumors 601

From your first link

Quote:
One major issue with both of the reports is confusion over the pixel density on these panels. Both reports claim that the Retina-level iPad mini display would carry a density of 497 pixels per inch (ppi), whereas such a display would actually have the same 326 ppi seen on the last several generations of the iPhone.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:13 AM   #20
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
From your first link
Doh!

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Jan 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad