Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #26
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Though its always interesting to watch North Korea make statements that seem rational, their history says otherwise.

If I had to guess, this is the first step in requesting a return to 5 (or 6?) party talks, where the West (read the US) will begin the negotiations by making large, humanitarian donations of food....again....and within 6 months these talks will again break down and North Korea will be a pariah again.

It's Winter. It's cold. The people are starving. You can hold off revolt by feeding them or killing them. This is a way to feed them. The people will only know that the food came from the government, since they have no other communication with the outside world. They can still blame the US for everything.

The only question in my mind is are we stupid enough to fall for this same trick again.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 07:10 PM   #27
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I have nothing further to say to you.

[turns my back ... and walks away]
You clearly uninformed and did not research how bad the situation really is in NK.

* Looks at you walking away lights cigar. Apathy *
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:32 PM   #28
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I completely disagree.

The breakup of the Soviet Union proved that despite decades of totalitarianism the people still craved freedom and engagement with the rest of the world.

The people of North Korea will prove no different. Break down the barriers of hostility and distrust and you'll see that North Koreans are just like anybody else.

That is a bet I'd gladly make ... and win.
Human rights in North Korea are far beyond comparison to the USSR, IMHO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_r...in_North_Korea

While I agree with you that breaking down barriers can destroy the distrust, it is a much more grave situation in North Korea than the USSR and so it arguably is going to be more complex.
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:49 PM   #29
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

It would be a big mistake to just open the border and let both side meet each other. They will need time to get used to each other ... You can't make 50 years separation gone over night.
And also a gold rush need to be prevented where some rich from the south steal from the north.
Starting with regular bilateral visits, transparent near border business, south helps north with food and energy ... Grow trust ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues