Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

NPD: Consumers Want Content, Not 'Smart' Features, on Their TVs

The Daily Mail is reporting that new NPD research has found that consumers want more access to online video services like HBO Go rather than "smart" features like social networking access on their TVs. The research comes a day after it was reported that Intel was planning to launch a TV service and set top box in 2013 that focused on content.

NPD said that a big problem is that TV owners are confused because too much choice is creating a complex user experience.
Quote:
'To counter this, OEMs and retailers need to focus less on new innovation in this space and more on simplification of the user experience and messaging if they want to drive additional, and new, behaviors on the TV."
Luke Peters, Editor of T3 Magazine, told MailOnline that Smart TVs will only become mainstream when they're as easy to use as changing a channel. Peters also notes that most Smart TV user interfaces are too complex for most people and that the content isn't good enough and that social networking doesn't make a lot of sense on TVs.

Apple has long been rumored to be interested in creating a TV that focuses on content as well in addition to features that could change human-to-TV interaction with Siri, Facetime and motion control. Apple was also rumored to be in talks with cable services like Comcast and Time Warner Cable in mid-2012, although no content deals have materialized yet.

Apple, like Intel, has largely had problems negotiating with content providers because of contractual limitations with cable providers, which may be why Apple's TV offering hasn't appeared yet. Although Intel's offering is set to debut January 7 at CES there's no telling if or when Apple's may debut, although recently it's been rumored that Foxconn is currently testing television set designs in the 50 - 55 inch range.

Article Link: NPD: Consumers Want Content, Not 'Smart' Features, on Their TVs
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
AirThis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The Daily Mail is reporting that new NPD research has found that consumers want more access to online video services like HBO Go rather than "smart" features like social networking access on their TVs.
They've got my vote for that. I'm simply fed up of seeing social networking features being poured on top of apps like marmalade.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
MacMan1620
macrumors member

I use my iPhone for twitter. I use my tv for content. Pretty basic idea.
MacMan1620 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
CBJammin103
macrumors regular

Wait we don't need 15 different $7/month subscriptions services in each of our Bluray Players, TVs, HT receivers, and set top boxes? What a revelation!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

If I want to "social network" I will get on my iMac or iPad or Droid. When I sit down to watch TV or a movie... I want to watch TV or a movie.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Torrijos
macrumors 6502

This just in consumers want a faster horse!

Yeah you know want I mean!
Torrijos is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:08 PM   #7
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Eventually Apple will get content, release a device and have massive success and then really **** over the other providers when they are begging to get on board. I am honestly surprised they aren't already all over this with DVRs, commercial skipping and internet that is now fast enough to download high def video easily (aka as fast as when people were stealing songs with dialup)
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
tann
macrumors 65816

Finally they will realise!

Content trumps all on the TV!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:10 PM   #9
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Simple concept that the hardware companies failed to grasp. So users are not likely to input messages and websites using a TV remote? What a revelation!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:10 PM   #10
bushido
macrumors 601

i dont want content that ads up to 5 dif. subscriptions and 2,95€ eps to rent! either ...

the whole business model needs a make over otherwise its cheaper to just keep ur cable
bushido is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:12 PM   #11
baryon
macrumors 68030

I think the problem of TV is that 99.9999999% of content is complete crap, and most people just watch TV to turn their brain off and don't care about what is actually happening. People can watch celebrities arguing, people who can't sing sining, or people talking about politics for hours.

I don't think TV can be saved at all, or that there is a need for it in today's world. You can do everything on a computer that a TV could do, and much more, so why do you need a TV? Is it just for the big screen? Then why not just get a bigger computer monitor?

People who grew up with TV are of course addicted to it, but those who grew up with the internet are less reliant on TV. I think and hope that TV will at some point become extinct and replaced by what is already there on computers.

As Daft Punk says, "Television rules the nation"…
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:15 PM   #12
zoozx
macrumors regular

TV service with no fine print, contracts and reasonable prices ( not what we have now, nothing close to what we have now ). Pay for what you want instead of 100 channels of crap.

A wireless TV and DVD player with a simple menu, that run off Siri and a single simple remote.

I don't need social networking on a tv, as a matter of fact, i don't need it at all.
zoozx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #13
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a

We want NFL! We want NFL!...

SBlue1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Radio
In Time-Out

I want everything but pay for nothing
Radio is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:18 PM   #15
RobertoCohen
macrumors newbie

Apple just needs to hurry and release their on TV so they can kick Samsungs ass. They really annoy me by releasing a new model of their 'Smart TV's' like every month. My sammy tv is probably already out of date.
RobertoCohen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:19 PM   #16
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Very, very true. I don't need a web browser and a Facebook client on a TV because I have my laptop and iPad for that. I use my TV for watching blockbuster films. Netflix is great, but their content is pretty bad. Hope Apple can turn the tide here and offer great selections of content.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:20 PM   #17
Nebulance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoozx View Post
TV service with no fine print, contracts and reasonable prices ( not what we have now, nothing close to what we have now ). Pay for what you want instead of 100 channels of crap.

A wireless TV and DVD player with a simple menu, that run off Siri and a single simple remote.

I don't need social networking on a tv, as a matter of fact, i don't need it at all.
This. I watch only a handful of channels, but I pay $100/month for hundreds of channels I just don't care for. I wish you could pick and chose certain channels a little more freely.
Nebulance is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Morshu9001
Banned

I don't like "smart" features like social networking, but I like other features. And I couldn't care less about HBO Go. Above all, I want my box to have no HDCP.
Morshu9001 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:28 PM   #19
mantan
macrumors 6502a

The TV model is a tough nut to crack because right now the networks have all the incentive and make too much money to allow a la carte pricing. They've been hesitant to do it for networks...let alone first run content or movies.

Consumers, for as much as they complain about high prices, would likely not consume nearly as much content if they had to pay for what they watch.

Any viable model is going to be expected to come in around what people already spend for their cable/satellite bill. Otherwise neither the networks or consumers will bite.

Apple seems like they are wanting to model Apple TV after their success in the music industry. But that was a completely different situation. That industry was caught completely unprepared for the digital age. They were desperate.

Some would say the 'ad sales' driven model isn't sustainable in an age where more and more people watch taped shows on a DVR. But the industry is still making a ton of money.

Unless Apple can get cost effective first run content and live sports, it's a non-starter. And by live sports, specifically big money makers like the NFL, college football and postseason games in major sports. Those are sacred cows the networks (and in the case of the NFL satellite providers)are going to pay dearly to maintain exclusive rights.
mantan is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:30 PM   #20
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I agree with this completely.
Heck, I don't even have Facebook or Twitter integration in my iOS devices, even though I have both of those services. Not going to use it in a TV either.
wordoflife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:31 PM   #21
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Sometimes less is more. A TV should be for shows and movies, hopefully without ads. If I wanted a full computer in my living room, I would just put a computer in my living room.
commander.data is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:32 PM   #22
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Of course we want content.

That is the only thing that will hold back the success of these new smart features for TVs.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:34 PM   #23
CReimer
macrumors member

If you're going to reinvent the boob tube, keep it simple for stupid people.
CReimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:37 PM   #24
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

I want a high end tv that focus's on picture quality, number of inputs and controls. Not 3d, smart tv features and other bullcrap.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:39 PM   #25
TripleCore
macrumors regular

Hasn't the whole social media thing played itself out yet?
TripleCore is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion