Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Daily Mail is reporting that new NPD research has found that consumers want more access to online video services like HBO Go rather than "smart" features like social networking access on their TVs. The research comes a day after it was reported that Intel was planning to launch a TV service and set top box in 2013 that focused on content.

NPD said that a big problem is that TV owners are confused because too much choice is creating a complex user experience.
'To counter this, OEMs and retailers need to focus less on new innovation in this space and more on simplification of the user experience and messaging if they want to drive additional, and new, behaviors on the TV."
Luke Peters, Editor of T3 Magazine, told MailOnline that Smart TVs will only become mainstream when they're as easy to use as changing a channel. Peters also notes that most Smart TV user interfaces are too complex for most people and that the content isn't good enough and that social networking doesn't make a lot of sense on TVs.

Apple has long been rumored to be interested in creating a TV that focuses on content as well in addition to features that could change human-to-TV interaction with Siri, Facetime and motion control. Apple was also rumored to be in talks with cable services like Comcast and Time Warner Cable in mid-2012, although no content deals have materialized yet.

appletv.jpg

Apple, like Intel, has largely had problems negotiating with content providers because of contractual limitations with cable providers, which may be why Apple's TV offering hasn't appeared yet. Although Intel's offering is set to debut January 7 at CES there's no telling if or when Apple's may debut, although recently it's been rumored that Foxconn is currently testing television set designs in the 50 - 55 inch range.

Article Link: NPD: Consumers Want Content, Not 'Smart' Features, on Their TVs

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
The Daily Mail is reporting that new NPD research has found that consumers want more access to online video services like HBO Go rather than "smart" features like social networking access on their TVs.

They've got my vote for that. I'm simply fed up of seeing social networking features being poured on top of apps like marmalade.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
If I want to "social network" I will get on my iMac or iPad or Droid. When I sit down to watch TV or a movie... I want to watch TV or a movie.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Eventually Apple will get content, release a device and have massive success and then really **** over the other providers when they are begging to get on board. I am honestly surprised they aren't already all over this with DVRs, commercial skipping and internet that is now fast enough to download high def video easily (aka as fast as when people were stealing songs with dialup)

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Simple concept that the hardware companies failed to grasp. So users are not likely to input messages and websites using a TV remote? What a revelation!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i dont want content that ads up to 5 dif. subscriptions and 2,95€ eps to rent! either ...

the whole business model needs a make over otherwise its cheaper to just keep ur cable

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I think the problem of TV is that 99.9999999% of content is complete crap, and most people just watch TV to turn their brain off and don't care about what is actually happening. People can watch celebrities arguing, people who can't sing sining, or people talking about politics for hours.

I don't think TV can be saved at all, or that there is a need for it in today's world. You can do everything on a computer that a TV could do, and much more, so why do you need a TV? Is it just for the big screen? Then why not just get a bigger computer monitor?

People who grew up with TV are of course addicted to it, but those who grew up with the internet are less reliant on TV. I think and hope that TV will at some point become extinct and replaced by what is already there on computers.

As Daft Punk says, "Television rules the nation"…

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
TV service with no fine print, contracts and reasonable prices ( not what we have now, nothing close to what we have now ). Pay for what you want instead of 100 channels of crap.

A wireless TV and DVD player with a simple menu, that run off Siri and a single simple remote.

I don't need social networking on a tv, as a matter of fact, i don't need it at all.

RobertoCohen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Apple just needs to hurry and release their on TV so they can kick Samsungs ass. They really annoy me by releasing a new model of their 'Smart TV's' like every month. My sammy tv is probably already out of date.:mad:

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Very, very true. I don't need a web browser and a Facebook client on a TV because I have my laptop and iPad for that. I use my TV for watching blockbuster films. Netflix is great, but their content is pretty bad. Hope Apple can turn the tide here and offer great selections of content.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
TV service with no fine print, contracts and reasonable prices ( not what we have now, nothing close to what we have now ). Pay for what you want instead of 100 channels of crap.

A wireless TV and DVD player with a simple menu, that run off Siri and a single simple remote.

I don't need social networking on a tv, as a matter of fact, i don't need it at all.

This. I watch only a handful of channels, but I pay $100/month for hundreds of channels I just don't care for. I wish you could pick and chose certain channels a little more freely.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
The TV model is a tough nut to crack because right now the networks have all the incentive and make too much money to allow a la carte pricing. They've been hesitant to do it for networks...let alone first run content or movies.

Consumers, for as much as they complain about high prices, would likely not consume nearly as much content if they had to pay for what they watch.

Any viable model is going to be expected to come in around what people already spend for their cable/satellite bill. Otherwise neither the networks or consumers will bite.

Apple seems like they are wanting to model Apple TV after their success in the music industry. But that was a completely different situation. That industry was caught completely unprepared for the digital age. They were desperate.

Some would say the 'ad sales' driven model isn't sustainable in an age where more and more people watch taped shows on a DVR. But the industry is still making a ton of money.

Unless Apple can get cost effective first run content and live sports, it's a non-starter. And by live sports, specifically big money makers like the NFL, college football and postseason games in major sports. Those are sacred cows the networks (and in the case of the NFL satellite providers)are going to pay dearly to maintain exclusive rights.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I agree with this completely.
Heck, I don't even have Facebook or Twitter integration in my iOS devices, even though I have both of those services. Not going to use it in a TV either.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Sometimes less is more. A TV should be for shows and movies, hopefully without ads. If I wanted a full computer in my living room, I would just put a computer in my living room.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Of course we want content.

That is the only thing that will hold back the success of these new smart features for TVs.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I want a high end tv that focus's on picture quality, number of inputs and controls. Not 3d, smart tv features and other bullcrap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.