Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
TahoeBlue
macrumors member

My Fusion Drive Hates BootCamp

I was so happy with my BTO 2.6 1tb Fusion Mac Mini until it decided to commit suicide via what I think was a kernel panic or something very pukey of that nature during the setup of a BootCamp partition.

Long story short, I had my Mac Mini set up and happy. I haven't used a Mac in over ten years and I love this little machine and OS X. The last thing I had to was set up BootCamp, because I have a few Steam PC games I like to play once in awhile, and Windows-only work apps that I have to access semi regularly.

Halfway through the BootCamp assistant set up, it got to partition the drive and just sat there for six hours stalled out at what I guesstimate as 60% complete. I just force quit the application. It never made the partition as far as I can tell, but my drive space was ridiculously small. Further attempts to creating the partition would fail. Disk Utility showed a ton of errors and said the drive needed repair. I would click repair over and over again.

Basically similar to what happened in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1511648

I tried restoring from a Time Capsule backup that took four hours. Still didn't fix the problem. Now I am in the middle of a clean install after deleting the entire logical volume family in Terminal because it wouldn't let me delete single volumes. Then I guess restore from TC again for another four hours?
TahoeBlue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Nate392
macrumors member

Hey, that really stinks. I personally have no experience with Fusion drives, but I found the official Apple site explanation about Fusion, I'm not sure if this helps. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?v...S&locale=en_US
Did you partition through BootCamp?
I hope you can get a solution!
Nate392 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
TahoeBlue
macrumors member

I finally got it to install. Lessons learned:

1. Don't fill up the Mac Mini with a ton of files on the OSX side before installing BootCamp.

2. The BootCamp partition takes less than a minute to create, so if longer than that, there is a problem with the Fusion drive.

3. Make a clean backup of the Mac Mini with Time Machine before using BootCamp assistant, and then TURN OFF Time Machine in its options.

4. Disconnect all USB hard drives before going through the BootCamp set up.
TahoeBlue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Nate392
macrumors member

Awesome! Glad you got it fixed.
Nate392 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:22 AM   #5
PadJunkie
macrumors newbie

Thanks for reporting back, Tahoe. Much appreciated - I'll be doing this soon, too.
PadJunkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:35 AM   #6
Paul-B
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Con-fusion

My 3Tb fusion drive states this when Boot Camp is booted:

"Boot Camp does not currently support installing Windows on a Mac with a 3 TB hard drive."
Paul-B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 04:37 AM   #7
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-B View Post
My 3Tb fusion drive states this when Boot Camp is booted:

"Boot Camp does not currently support installing Windows on a Mac with a 3 TB hard drive."
the work around is buy parallels or vmWare fusion. or return the machine and get it with the 1tb fusion.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini