Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

victimlesstribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
This is the third time I have installed windows. The first time I did not give enough space to install programs, This time I'm giving bootcamp around 35 gbs to install. After installation it show me capacity at 33.14 gb, available 4.87 gbs, and used 28.27. Why is the windows partition using that much space and how can I free it up?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Also consider disabling system restore, and uninstall unnecessary windows programs that you might not need (games, media player, media center, etc). I believe I was able to get mine near 10 gb.

----------

Some folks report software issues when the page file is completely disabled. I keep mine between 16-512mb but it never gets used.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Also consider disabling system restore, and uninstall unnecessary windows programs that you might not need (games, media player, media center, etc). I believe I was able to get mine near 10 gb.

----------

Some folks report software issues when the page file is completely disabled. I keep mine between 16-512mb but it never gets used.

good one. Completely forgot about disabling system restore. That's another great way to free up a few GB.

victimlesstribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks, I did this and managed to free up a lot of space but after reset it is messed up again, mbpr with 256 ssd, I have just disabled the paging file now and it tells me 8gb free. out of 34. I know windows should not be taking up this much space as when I originally turned the paging file down to 16mb it showed my disc size as 20gb free and 10gb taken by windows. Why after a reset would it mess up again? I am at the end of the road with windows, I just wanted to see how gaming is on this machine. Any thoughts as to what could be taking all the space?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Thanks, I did this and managed to free up a lot of space but after reset it is messed up again, mbpr with 256 ssd, I have just disabled the paging file now and it tells me 8gb free. out of 34. I know windows should not be taking up this much space as when I originally turned the paging file down to 16mb it showed my disc size as 20gb free and 10gb taken by windows. Why after a reset would it mess up again? I am at the end of the road with windows, I just wanted to see how gaming is on this machine. Any thoughts as to what could be taking all the space?

Can you describe "messing up"? When I install Windows 7 Ultimate, it takes about 30 GB right off the bat. Doing the steps mentioned earlier should get you closer to 15 GB.

victimlesstribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
after I decreased the page file, the system showed me 20 gb free and 10 gb taken by the OS. Then after a restart it shows me 8gb free. I don't know how 12 gb just were just filled on a reset.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
after I decreased the page file, the system showed me 20 gb free and 10 gb taken by the OS. Then after a restart it shows me 8gb free. I don't know how 12 gb just were just filled on a reset.

That's odd. If I recall, you usually do not see the results of reducing / disabling the page file until after you restart the computer, and not before.

----------

You should be able to set your pagefile sizes, reboot, and go back to the pagefile to verify your settings. Mine looks like this:

Fg1QH.jpg

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

----------

Yep same for me, the initial install with everything takes 16GB which to me is just crazy, way too much space for an OS, another reason Apple is way ahead of the pack.

I did a 32 gb partition with Win 7 32-bit and I think after the os and updates it was taking like next to 16.7gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.